• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone to other opiates advice

russojr93

Greenlighter
Looking for advice,
How long after taking suboxone does one need to wait before taking another opiate (hydro, oxy), for it to still take affect?

Thanks friends!✌

The terminal elimination half-life of buprenorphine is 25-45 hours, and I think it was the instructions for the 120 mg morphine sulphate capsules for detoxification and maintenance that said that the Suboxone washout period of 24-36 hours was optimal. If one starts getting withdrawal symptoms before then, then fractional doses can be used and titrated upwards as needed. Buprenorphine has a very strong affinity for opioid receptors, to the point that naloxone doesn't always handle an overdose, and yet it also is partial agonist, meaning that it needs to occupy a huge absolute number and fraction of the opioid receptors in order to obtain narcotic action, so unless one has some kind of semi-clandestine access to diprenorphine and a need to atone for something that requires intense suffering, one just needs to wait for the receptors to be available again. As you probably know, buprenorphine blockades the receptors in a literal sense, whereas something like methadone or levomethadone simply reduces the bang after injection of another drug because the bang is the result of the speed with which the receptors are being agonised, and if one is not starting from zero, then the bang is attenuated.

Last edited:
The terminal elimination half-life of buprenorphine is 25-45 hours, and I think it was the instructions for the 120 mg morphine sulphate capsules for detoxification and maintenance that said that the Suboxone washout period of 24-36 hours was optimal. If one starts getting withdrawal symptoms before then, then fractional doses can be used and titrated upwards as needed.
From what I've read now, it seems as if stacking other opiates AFTER subs isn't dangerous,
What is dangerous is using subs after opiates. Does that make sense to you?

The only thing is that your opiate may be wasted because of receptors still being blocked by the bupe

From what I've read now, it seems as if stacking other opiates AFTER subs isn't dangerous,
What is dangerous is using subs after opiates. Does that make sense to you?

Yes, I would say so -- the issue then is wasting the second drug, and all manner of strange things from inverse tolerance to tachyphylaxis to subsequent narcotics losing some of their reliability seem to happen in the reverse case. Also, being a partial agonist, I have to wonder if buprenorphine not only keeps withdrawal away but also allows for the underlying tolerance to slowly ebb away, which is why I for one would start with 30 per cent of the old dose of the other narcotic and work up.

Yes, I would say so -- the issue then is wasting the second drug, and all manner of strange things from inverse tolerance to tachyphylaxis to subsequent narcotics losing some of their reliability seem to happen in the reverse case. Also, being a partial agonist, I have to wonder if buprenorphine not only keeps withdrawal away but also allows for the underlying tolerance to slowly ebb away, which is why I for one would start with 30 per cent of the old dose of the other narcotic and work up.
Yeah that's what I did, +5 hours after 4mg bupe, took 15mg oxy as opposed to the normal 30, and still had majority of desired effect. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated ?

Okay this might seem like a very dumb question, but... would taking an upper like meth help reduce the blocking effect of bupe, or possibly eliminate the bupe from your system faster? Or is it completely different receptor sites?