• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone then surgery

Shelly320

Bluelighter
Ok so Ive had this issue for a few years and was in pain management for a few years very long story straight I took things to a whole new level and was addicted to dilaudid iv I went on suboxone 2 years ago and things have been amazing only the pain ended up worse and I found out I needed surgery in January, but I had already begun to taper because I knew I needed it I just never had insurance, anyways ended up in the er March 5th and turns out from the testing it was so bad I had to stay well they had given me morphine and dilaudid by this point and I had been on such low doses I felt it ALL, we'll the brought me upstairs and kept me on a steady stream of dilaudid 2mg every 4 hours till surgery on Wed the 8th then upped me to a pain pump for 2 days and then put me on percocet 5 mg for the last like 12 hours ( it was major stomach surgery and although I DID tell my doctor and anasteologist I was on suboxone I really think he didn't know what it was and it happened so fast) so now here I sit of course the day I was released i was really hitting withdrawal hard but I couldn't go back on my subs yet ( I ended up having my gallbladder removed and a piece of stomach that was diseased then repair of my bypass, I'm 19 years post op) so obviously all I had was the perks I begged my husband ( a strict non user) and got a few dilaudid from a friend so I spaced those out trying to taper like I did with suboxone but that didn't go well now ive decided going back is not an option but I want to go back on my suboxone ( I use small amounts for maintenance) but I'm so scared of precipitated withdrawal I have some perks left but I'm having to take them every few hours and it's hard with an altered stomach I guess my question is with percocet by mouth how long should I wait? I've always gone from iv to subs so I know about how long but these I'm taking by mouth, I just want to get back on my suboxone so I can heal I'm afraid if I continue this path my husband won't put up with it at all

Well I've been taking perks like they are candy like 20 since yesterday at 9 am but my plan was to get 2 more dilaudid cuz the perc is.not helping I just took 15 mg perc at 430 am and I'm starting to feel better, but it only last 2 hours tops I'm in real surgical pain so I really need something to rest and heal

Also is the perc even worth how much I have to take? I have an option to get like 2 more d and I'm thinking that's a lot better to swap back to subs because I can bang them and wd will start faster not so drawn out,.i.kinda feel like I'm at the beginning of wd every 3 hours and I'm taking 10 or 15 mg every 3 hours

You're probably being undermedicated. I'm sorry to hear that you've had such issue with this. I'll give you a point of reference. I've been hooked up with my surgical team out of Harvard and before that was with a team out of Stanford in Palo Alto when I lived in the bay area. I only say this, because they're allegedly, the best. When I told them that I had been on Methadone up until a few weeks prior to the surgery, they had an entire team of people come talk to me for about 45 minutes about my past and current drug use. I ended up walking out with 4mg Hydromorphone every 4 hours x 3 days.

This was for a relatively minor surgery also. Yours, I would venture to guess, was definitely more invasive. Oxycodone 5mg is typically given to handle more minor operations like wisdome tooth extraction, but there's been a major "reining in" on the prescription of Opioids, so maybe this is the norm. At any rate, most MD's don't know shit about how to care for us. This is not an exaggeration. Most, literally know next to nothing about drugs. I mentioned "Cytochrome P450" to my surgeon and it seemed to just barely register in her memory as something that existed.

You've been on strong Opioids for a little while now. You need to play it safe with the Buprenorphine. I know you feel bad now, but you will feel so much worse if you go into precipitated withdrawal. Not only that, but the severity of the illness, particularly the powerful vomiting and writhing could be enough to actually damage your incisions and such. I would wait the full 24 hours. Luckily you're not dealing with long-acting Opioids, so 24 hours should be an optimal period of waiting.