• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Suboxone taper

vichound

Greenlighter
Okay so I am tapering off of suboxone which I have been on fr a about 3 months. I was on 16 mgs a day 8 in am and 8 in pm but was taking more than I should (because thats what we addicts do) so I gave my husband control and he has been tapering me. We are doing this quickly because I don't want to worry about abusing them or being dependent on them anymore. After I am done I am going to get the Vivitrol shot though. We are tapering down from 8 mgs a day which I was on for about 2 weeks, now dropping down 0.5 mgs every two days. We were doing one mg every 3 days but that was little too quick and I was falling apart a little so we modified it. I am doing okay but every so often I get very nauseous. I have been pregnant 3 times and this feels a lot like morning sickness. Is this due to the taper? I'm not really having any other physical side effects just that and emotional stuff. Just wondering about the cause of the nauseau. Thanks for any advice! And sorry r any typos or misspellings, doing this on my phone and sometimes auto correct doesn't actually "correct" haha.

That nausea definitely can come from dropping too quickly, or just dropping in general.

I think you're doing that taper slightly too fast myself. Every two days to go down .5mg? Right now thats not much, and I promise getting down to 2mg will be not bad. Past that however, dropping .5mg every two days is, for lack of a better word, insane.

Every time I drop my dose I feel like shit for a few days. As the dose gets smaller, and the drops becomes more noticeable (ie dropping from .875mg to .750mg has been harder than going from 3->2.5 for example, even though its slightly less percentage), you will feel off for longer stretches of time. Once again I'll use the example of my last drop from .875 to .75mg: I normally get readjusted in about 2 or so days. This time however its been about a week before I felt like it finally leveled off.

So! Just take it slow. You're sprinting to a finish line yet theres no clock to beat; there are no other racers. Why rush something this important to your life? Why rush something that should be done with all the time, effort, and dedication you can possibly muster? Its not a sprint of "getting off subs the fastest", its a marathon to see who can stay clean the longest.

Think about it this way: whats the point of rushing to the finish line if you trip and fall 5 feet before it (aka relapse)? I am not saying you will necessarily, its simply food for thought.

Dont rush this, there is absolutely no need.

I also think vivitrol afterwards is not too bad of an idea. Its something I've considered myself. However, since I've been able to taper thus far successfully, have not used anything but pot in almost a year, have never ONCE fucked with my dose of subs (i have NEVER taken more than the day before, ever), and am dedicated almost to a fault to staying off of opiates, I myself decided against it.

For you though, from what I read I feel Vivitrol is a GREAT idea. It also and shows (to me) that you're willing to do whatever it takes, which is exactly what you need to be willing to do.

Good luck