• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Suboxone/subutex/ Memantine/Nicotine :together

ezmony23

Greenlighter
New member here. I've poured over so many threads but I really could use some help simplifying some answers.
I've been prescribed suboxone for 8 years now for PAIN. ( yes it rare but true). Before I started taking subs, I considered myself a very smart man. I built a really large company from nothing and was living very well. 8 years later and I'm dumb as a box of rocks.
My long and short term memory is terrible, I feel no pleasure, and am fairly depressed. Complete lack of motivation.

So anyway, through the past 8 years , I had very little change in my tolerance for the subs, but I did get a lot of headaches probably from the naloxone. So 2 months ago my doc switched me to subutex.

Now I realize that it's the exact same ingredient besides the naloxone, but within 2 months, my tolerance has been destroyed. Taking 3 times daily dosage and the pain will not go away. Only thing I can rationalize is that maybe the pills of the subutex are not absorbing the way the strips of suboxone were. I see the dr next month and will try to switch back.

So I read where Memantine can help with all sorts of my problems such as the tolerance issue, and brain fog, nicotine habit ? I ordered some and have it here now, but I'm a little scared to take it cause I don't know much about it.
First, is it safe to take it with subutex and/or suboxone and nicotine? Will it actually improve clarity/memory? Will it also help me quit smoking? I guess I'll start with 5mg a day and go from there, but I really hope that it will bring my tolerance back down so I can get back to my regular small dosage. Anyone with experience please share without getting extremely technical. Thank you very much.

There is still a lot of unknowns when it comes to memantine, its said to help alzheimers, but in controlled studies, cognitive abilities were not substantially improved, but one of it's side effects is reduced cognitive ability.. It does reduce nicotine receptors, so in theory, smoking would be less rewarding.I don't know if this would help you quit, or not.
I've never heard of it reducing tolerance..? a link would be appreciated. But it does sound like you're absorbtion rate is greater with the pills, opposed to the films.
Maybe talk to your doc and switch pain meds? Opioid rotation is sometimes the best route, as people develope tolerances ect. But, my knowledge of memantine is somewhat limited, hopefully another bl'er with more knowledge can chime in.

- Hopeless Soul