• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone questions?

Man67

Bluelighter
My GP put me on Suboxone 3 weeks ago for several reasons. Depression, chronic pain and painkillers dependance. He told me to try and find optimal dosage in this 4 weeks trial period. For the last 2 weeks I am on 8mg and don't have any side effects. Even the constipation ceased. Result? Big improvement in every category. 1. There is no more pain. 2. There is no more depression. But I still take my antidepressants (Endep & Lexapro). I didn’t take a single pain killer in this period. This is too good to be true so I have to ask: Is 8mg too much? Is there a risk to develop tolerance to Suboxone? Can I use this medication as a long term solution? For the first time in 15 years I feel "normal" and I would like to stay that way forever. If somebody have experience with long term usage of Suboxone, please reply to this tread and tell me your opinion.

My GP put me on Suboxone 3 weeks ago for several reasons. Depression, chronic pain and painkillers dependance. He told me to try and find optimal dosage in this 4 weeks trial period. For the last 2 weeks I am on 8mg and don't have any side effects. Even the constipation ceased. Result? Big improvement in every category. 1. There is no more pain. 2. There is no more depression. But I still take my antidepressants (Endep & Lexapro). I didn’t take a single pain killer in this period. This is too good to be true so I have to ask: Is 8mg too much? Is there a risk to develop tolerance to Suboxone? Can I use this medication as a long term solution? For the first time in 15 years I feel "normal" and I would like to stay that way forever. If somebody have experience with long term usage of Suboxone, please reply to this tread and tell me your opinion.
Hi there!

Buprenorphine is a wonderful opioid comparatively speaking.

It’s currently under investigation for treatment of depression when traditional treatments have failed. That’s because it’s a full Kappa (K) Receptor Antagonist. Basically, antagonist activity at the K receptor can reduce the production of dynorpines in your body, the overflow of which can trigger depression. The K receptor is also involved in tolerance, so Bupe’s antagonism of it translates to building tolerance more slowly. It’s also decent enough in killing pain that it’s prescribed in low doses for pain patients (like 300 micrograms x2 daily via film).

8mg/day seems like way too high of a dose

I played around with it and found it made me feel kind of edgy, more depressed. Sort of jumpy and dysphoric. I think I might prefer kratom to it weirdly enough, and kratom kind of sucks too.

I did find I started to like it more over time. But it made me feel less like myself, a little dissociated. Made me wonder if perhaps it buprenorphine is actually a very weak partial agonist of the KOR rather than antagonist and either weakly activated it or upregulated it.

I think my dosing was way too high. Overall i think I'm best off opioids generally. They all end up making me more depressed eventually.

Hi there!

Buprenorphine is a wonderful opioid comparatively speaking.

It’s currently under investigation for treatment of depression when traditional treatments have failed. That’s because it’s a full Kappa (K) Receptor Antagonist. Basically, antagonist activity at the K receptor can reduce the production of dynorpines in your body, the overflow of which can trigger depression. The K receptor is also involved in tolerance, so Bupe’s antagonism of it translates to building tolerance more slowly. It’s also decent enough in killing pain that it’s prescribed in low doses for pain patients (like 300 micrograms x2 daily via film).
I am not sure about the dosage, because I take Suboxone for three different reasons. Depression, chronic pain and mild opioids dependance. I am still in my first trial month and seeing my GP next week. At the beginning of the treatment he prescribed me 8+8mg films per day and told me to try to find right dose. 16mg was too much, 4mg to little so I am on 8mg for the last 15 days. I feel great and if necessary I would take it as long as I am alive. My only worry is, is it gonna work like this all the time? The last thing I need is tolerance.

8mg/day seems like way too high of a dose

I played around with it and found it made me feel kind of edgy, more depressed. Sort of jumpy and dysphoric. I think I might prefer kratom to it weirdly enough, and kratom kind of sucks too.

I did find I started to like it more over time. But it made me feel less like myself, a little dissociated. Made me wonder if perhaps it buprenorphine is actually a very weak partial agonist of the KOR rather than antagonist and either weakly activated it or upregulated it.

I think my dosing was way too high. Overall i think I'm best off opioids generally. They all end up making me more depressed eventually.
Kratom is not available in Australia and we are all different. I am depressed all the time, despite 2 antidepressants I'm taking on a regular basis. Only on opioids I can feel "normal". On Suboxone I don't feel any "high", it just lifts me from the bottom to feel like a regular person. As I said, I am ready to take it for life as long as it gonna help me. I HOPE that's gonna happen, because this is my last remaining option.

Anybody with the experience of being on Suboxone for a long period of time and switching to the lower level? It's really important as I decided to tapper down from 8 to 4mg after a 3 weeks trial period. This morning I took 6mg and its still early to feel any side effects. My final goal is 4mg. Any advice how to do it?

Last edited:
Is 8mg too much? That's a bit high for a long-term maintenance dose IMHO. But it's easy to wean down on suboxone. At least, in the beginning. I wouldn't get used to 8 mg. 1 mg bupe = 40 mg morphine. It's those last few mg that are the killer.
Is there a risk to develop tolerance to Suboxone? I don't think so. I've been on 4 mg/ day for like 10 years.
Can I use this medication as a long-term solution? See above, yes. I'm actually just now deciding to finally start the final wean off of suboxone.

I don't think (and don't want) to ever again be in a mental state, like before I started Suboxone. Every morning my first thought was "to end it all". Since I started Subs I am a completely different person. I feel calm and "normal". I've been on antidepressants for the last 10 years and tried about 20 of them. There was some slight improvement at the beginning , but it didn't last long. At the moment I take max. dose of Endep and Lexapro, but they don't help me any more. I must have some opioids in order to feel like a "regular guy." That's how my brain chemistry works. I abused codeine and oxy (in small doses) for several years, just to get that feeling. And I never been "high". Problem with other opioids is withdrawal and depression. This morning I took 6mg of Sub. but it's too early to notice any change. My final goal is 4mg. One way or another, your comment gave me hope. Because my main fear was that after some time I would develop tolerance, and go back to the dark side of life. Thanks a lot.
ps. What is your reason to wean off of Suboxone? From other people's experience, apparently it's not easy to cope with the withdrawal symptoms.

Is 8mg too much? That's a bit high for a long-term maintenance dose IMHO. But it's easy to wean down on suboxone. At least, in the beginning. I wouldn't get used to 8 mg. 1 mg bupe = 40 mg morphine. It's those last few mg that are the killer.
Is there a risk to develop tolerance to Suboxone? I don't think so. I've been on 4 mg/ day for like 10 years.
Can I use this medication as a long-term solution? See above, yes. I'm actually just now deciding to finally start the final wean off of suboxone.
Despite several tries to tapper the Subs down, I am still at 8mg. I tried 6mg, but I couldn't sleep and was restless all the time. Here is my health report before getting on Subs: PTSD, chronic depression, painkiller abuse (oxy and codeine), insomnia, chronic pain (tesion headache, benzo abuse (Lexotan). My health issues since I've stabilise at 8mg: NONE. It works like a magic and don't have any side effects. I know that this dose is a bit too high, but I am not planning to stop it. Ever. My favourite saying is:"Don't fix something that is not broken." This week I have an appointment with my GP, and I'll see what he recommends.

Last edited:
Before I get too into the weeds, I should mention I’m on Belbuca 150mcgs x2 a day (so 0.3mgs/300mcgs total) as a test for baseline pain control (at a dose my NP believes is semi-therapeutic). I am prescribed Oxycodone 5mgs up to 4x a day. At my next appointment, we will discuss reducing the Oxycodone 5mg for x2 daily as needed for spikes and breakthrough pain, and increasing the Belbuca to 300mcgs x2 a day (still a mere 0.6mgs/600mcgs total).

In response to your post, I must say that Bupe is stronger than people give it credit for! If it had better bioavailability, the MDEs would be higher too. For example, Suboxone/Subutex tablets have 30% bioavailability, but the *preferred Sub films have roughly 40% bioavailability, and some practitioners believe it has better program retention partially for this reason. The sublingual tablet is indeed roughly = 40MDEs, but the film would be closer to a 55MDE daily dose. With that being said, because of increasing receptor saturation at higher doses coupled with partial agonism, once you start going above 4mgs, some practitioners (not all) practitioners will say that “8mgs of Bupe is less than double the MDE of 4mgs”. Above 8mgs every 12 hours, the benefit is limited as 8mgs of the film will put you at about 95% receptor occupancy. However, this isn’t entirely a bad thing as it might explain why it’s somewhat easy to reduce your dose. On the flip side, from my research, it does seem like it’s notably harder to go from 8mg to 6mg to stabilize at 4mg (x2 dosing) than going from 2mg to zero subs. I think the MDE diminishing returns hypothesis plays into this.

To be honest, I’m 100% ok with that reality because my best friend has been clean from Opioids for 10 years, thanks to Subs! She’s been on 8mgs x2 films daily nearly all of that time, and it’s clear the long term maintenance for her is the way to go! She tried dropping her dose at one point to 2mgs, with the goal of coming off. However, 2mgs was uncomfortable and after 3 days on zero subs, she ended up back on them quite quickly, but do to uncomfortableness, her doctor upped her back to 8mgs x2 daily. She’s been there again for years, ZERO issues!

So I mentioned I’m on Belbuca for baseline pain at a semi-therapeutic dose. One thing they figured out is that increasing the bioavailability meant they could use microgram doses that were effectively delivered. Compared to the Sub films, the Belbuca bucal film formula has about 60% bioavailability, and a 21% Bupe increase versus the sub film. So my 300mcgs per day (150x2) is closer to about 450mcgs of the sub film and when I get jumped to 600 (300x2) daily, it’ll be closer to about 900mcgs in sub film, just shy of 1mg in subs daily. However, I can tell you, the 300 daily dosing did help my baseline pain, and I am taking less oxy (2-3 oxys daily), since as early in the day, it’s sufficient on its own! I’ve already decreased my oxy dosing. Once I jump to 600 daily, I intend to use the oxy between 0-2 times daily, depending on my pain, and yes, I think some days with no oxy would actually be a reality!!! 😌

Excellent explanation. Although the post wasn't reply for my tread, there are many useful things for all of us. Someone told me that the only way to go down from 8mg is to slowly cut 1/2mg. Stay on that dose at least a week, and then do the same thing again. So it takes about 8 weeks to go from 8 to 4mg. It makes sense because we are talking about very powerful drug. I'll give it a try in the near future and see is it working or not?

I’ve been on subs for shit.. 13-14yrs daily. Don’t know if I’ll ever be able to stop but I have hopes one day maybe. That said I have no regrets being on it all this time and to say my life has remained stable (in feeling) would be correct. It does have pretty amazing antidepressant qualities and the naloxone seems to help one maintain on the same dose for years by reducing tolerance.

You know these science guys in the lab coats may have done something right. Or they created a drug that locks some users in for life aka “huge payout.”

-GC

Believe it or not, depression was my main problem. I tried about 20-30 different brands during the last 10 years and nothing worked properly. I am still on Endep (150mg) and Lexapro (20mg) and that is the maximum dose. After my first Suboxone film I woke up in the morning and felt something strange. Depression was gone! It's a miracle and it probably saved my life because I was at the bottom. So as you say, maybe one day I will stop but don't really care. I will be on Suboxone for life if needed. Maybe I will slowly tapper it down to 6, but not now. I finally feel "normal" and almost forgot that feeling. "Don't fix something that is not broken". 😎✌️

Excellent explanation. Although the post wasn't reply for my tread, there are many useful things for all of us. Someone told me that the only way to go down from 8mg is to slowly cut 1/2mg. Stay on that dose at least a week, and then do the same thing again. So it takes about 8 weeks to go from 8 to 4mg. It makes sense because we are talking about very powerful drug. I'll give it a try in the near future and see is it working or not?
No problem at all 😌.

I think you could probably honestly do 1/2mg every 3 days. I think the 3 day step is harder with some opioids, but for Bupe, it’s quite feasible. I would also say this is true because you haven’t been on 8mg doses for too long.

PS- I’ve noticed even on a dose of Bupe that basically equal to a mere 1/2 milligram of Subs, I have noticed my depression improved slightly over the past 10 days, lol. Even at this dose, the low-key slow rolling partial u-receptor agonism In particular combined with the full k-receptor antagonism probably works better than than being on a low dose of antidepressants 😂. I would imagine that Bupe in the 2-8mg range works probably better than a generous dose of antidepressants lol.

Last edited:
No problem at all 😌.

I think you could probably honestly do 1/2mg every 3 days. I think the 3 day step is harder with some opioids, but for Bupe, it’s quite feasible. I would also say this is true because you haven’t been on 8mg doses for too long.

PS- I’ve noticed even on a dose of Bupe that basically equal to a mere 1/2 milligram of Subs, I have noticed my depression improved slightly over the past 10 days, lol. Even at this dose, the low-key slow rolling partial u-receptor agonism In particular combined with the full k-receptor antagonism probably works better than than being on a low dose of antidepressants 😂. I would imagine that Bupe in the 2-8mg range works probably better than a generous dose of antidepressants lol.
According to many researchers, small doses of Bupe are very effective in depression treatment. What they consider "small" I don't know, but suppose that they are talking about doses up to 2mg. Bupe is also known as a treatment for chronic pain in doses around 6mg (3x2mg per day). But for drugs withdrawal it's hard to tell. It's all individual and depends which drugs patient abused and for how long? I was in all 3 categories and my agony literally disappeared overnight. Unbelievable. I will try to slowly get to 4 mg but at the moment I am just enjoying feeling "normal" again. 😎✌️

No, I don't. But as a war veteran have PTSD, chronic depression, chronic pain, insomnia.... I think that's enough? 😂 Hopefully most of these problems are behind me. I must repeat myself one more time. Since I started Suboxone the my biggest problem is constipation. I just hope that it's gonna stay this way forever. 😎✌️

Last edited:
Have you tried a fiber supplement like Metamucil for constipation? Or you could talk to your prescriber and get something similar to that product to take that is an rx
that or taking a laxative
and adding a lot of roughage to your diet fruits and vegtables a lot of insoluble fiber
those are the only answers for the constipation it’s a side effect thaf will not go away the meds slow down the motility of the gi tract
I am using some stool softeners and so far they work. The same thing happened when I was on painkillers, so I have some experience with this issue. Thanks for the advice. ✌️

Despite several tries to tapper the Subs down, I am still at 8mg. I tried 6mg, but I couldn't sleep and was restless all the time. Here is my health report before getting on Subs: PTSD, chronic depression, painkiller abuse (oxy and codeine), insomnia, chronic pain (tesion headache, benzo abuse (Lexotan). My health issues since I've stabilise at 8mg: NONE. It works like a magic and don't have any side effects. I know that this dose is a bit too high, but I am not planning to stop it. Ever. My favourite saying is:"Don't fix something that is not broken." This week I have an appointment with my GP, and I'll see what he recommends.
Dont drop by 2mg go from 8 to 7.5 if that bothers you wait a day or two and make sure your body equilizes. If it doesnt on 7.5 the go to 7.7. Some are very sensitive it totally depends on the person and how long you have been on that dose. But one thing is for certain if you are going to taper make sure your dose is 99.9% accurate and precise. If not your body wont equilize properly. It knows the exact amounts it needs to metabolize even if you think "oh .1 isnt going to make a difference ' it is to your body, especially if you are extra sensitive to dropping. Also make sure you take it at "exactly ' the same time every day down to the min if possible. After years of experiencing with subs this is what i have found that works best for me for "minimal " pain when tapering... good luck and peaceee 💗💗💗

Have you tried a fiber supplement like Metamucil for constipation? Or you could talk to your prescriber and get something similar to that product to take that is an rx
that or taking a laxative
and adding a lot of roughage to your diet fruits and vegtables a lot of insoluble fiber
those are the only answers for the constipation it’s a side effect thaf will not go away the meds slow down the motility of the gi tract
Lol since im here i figured i chime in.. fruits and veggies definitely will help, just not bananas they are very binding. One thing i did when i was soooo backed up... id quite coffee and any caffeine "completely" then when i was so backed up id drink a strong coffee.. and "whamo" its out 15 min later 🤣🤣🤣 something with the caffeine that is non binding the problem is if you drink it too much it becomes "binding " just some thoughts peace.. and gl 💗💗💗

Dont drop by 2mg go from 8 to 7.5 if that bothers you wait a day or two and make sure your body equilizes. If it doesnt on 7.5 the go to 7.7. Some are very sensitive it totally depends on the person and how long you have been on that dose. But one thing is for certain if you are going to taper make sure your dose is 99.9% accurate and precise. If not your body wont equilize properly. It knows the exact amounts it needs to metabolize even if you think "oh .1 isnt going to make a difference ' it is to your body, especially if you are extra sensitive to dropping. Also make sure you take it at "exactly ' the same time every day down to the min if possible. After years of experiencing with subs this is what i have found that works best for me for "minimal " pain when tapering... good luck and peaceee 💗💗💗
Thanks a lot for your advice. What is the best way to measure these tiny bits of film?