• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupe Suboxone IV damage... UPDATE after ER

Dist0rtion

Greenlighter
Years ago I used to IV subs regularly and had stopped for quite some time, partly due to it having no different effect but mostly ran out of places to go. Well about 2 days ago I decided to do it one more time for who knows what reason I convinced myself. Anyway I did it in my finger and now it feels like I blew a vein or something, it's huge and red and black/blue. I don't know if this is a place I can get an opinion on this but I don't want to go embarrass myself at the ER if it isn't 100% needed. if someone is able to look at this and give me an opinion whether its serious or just likely blown out and bruised I would appreciate it greatly. The pain is localized right where it is and if it gets worse I am going to definitely get it checked out asap but right now I'm half feeling like warm/cold alteration can help and half too embarrassed to go to the ER. I hope this is allowed I don't know where else to ask, but I'm not exactly looking for direct medical advice just more generally should I get help or not.

Attachments

• 0503192127.jpg
    0503192127.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 0503192127a.jpg
    0503192127a.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 13
Years ago I used to IV subs regularly and had stopped for quite some time, partly due to it having no different effect but mostly ran out of places to go. Well about 2 days ago I decided to do it one more time for who knows what reason I convinced myself. Anyway I did it in my finger and now it feels like I blew a vein or something, it's huge and red and black/blue. I don't know if this is a place I can get an opinion on this but I don't want to go embarrass myself at the ER if it isn't 100% needed. if someone is able to look at this and give me an opinion whether its serious or just likely blown out and bruised I would appreciate it greatly. The pain is localized right where it is and if it gets worse I am going to definitely get it checked out asap but right now I'm half feeling like warm/cold alteration can help and half too embarrassed to go to the ER. I hope this is allowed I don't know where else to ask, but I'm not exactly looking for direct medical advice just more generally should I get help or not.
I mean...to me, it would seem like the smart thing to do would be to go get that checked out and get over your embarrassment. Hospital staff see way worse shit and the last thing they are concerned about is judging you for shooting up suboxone.

However, I still do understand where you are coming from, even if its from a medical bill/insurance standpoint. As LONG as you know that needle was 100% clean, and the suboxone was straight from the package and sterile prepiration was used, then you you should be fine. If it swells up any more and begins changing color, go get help immediately. But personally, to me, waiting it out wouldn't be worth potentially losing a finger. It is highly unlikely that would be the end result, but you are still playing a guessing game.

Btw, do a heated compress on the swelling to help with circulation..it will either get better, or you may form an abscess. In which case, if you get an abscess, it may or may not get better, but that is when risks of infection get serious..you would definitely want to go to the hospital right away to get it drained and possibly receive antibiotics.

Thanks for your response, I gave it overnight to see if there was any improvement and there was not so I'm at the ER now. I believe they are going to give me antibiotics from the sounds of it but I'll update this when the visit is complete in case this can possibly help anyone in a similar situation. So far the embarrassment is minimum and 99% in my head.

Thanks for your response, I gave it overnight to see if there was any improvement and there was not so I'm at the ER now. I believe they are going to give me antibiotics from the sounds of it but I'll update this when the visit is complete in case this can possibly help anyone in a similar situation. So far the embarrassment is minimum and 99% in my head.
Knew it would be :). You'll be fine now

Thanks bud! Appreciate it, surprisingly for a random person on the internet you definitely made me feel better about it.

So I'm home now and the official diagnosis is Cellulitis. I'm on 450mg of Clindamycin 3x daily and was told if it doesn't get any better in 2 days to come back, and to come back immediately if anything worsens. Apparently Cellulitis can be pretty bad untreated so I'm happy I was convinced to suck it up and go. The doctor and nurses were all wonderful and I didn't sense an ounce of judgment, which sounds silly but regardless I'm sure many of you understand.

The only thing I was a little unclear on was my last interaction with the doctor, he said he could cut it open and try to drain it but that it was entirely up to me. When I tried to push him for the best option he didn't give me much aside from restating that it was my choice. So in the end I figured if the antibiotics don't improve things any I can go back and ask for them to cut it open.

Anywho, sorry for this being long and having to bother but thanks again very much I truly appreciate the opinion, CH.

I would definitely recommend getting that checked out. It looks pretty swollen to me. It's possible that it will recede on its own, but that's not something you want to bet on in these circumstances. For those who are not already aware, the injection of Buprenorphine in the form of sublingual strips for whatever reason seems to be far, far more likely to provoke serious complications relative to most other substances. I wish I had some statistics or anything with which to back up my belief aside from what I have seen myself.

I feel like although I can't truly back this stuff up with research I've just seen too many people have problems with this shit to not say something. I know at least 8 people personally who have been to the hospital overnight or longer for Buprenorphine-injecting-complications. 2 people who were a couple both got endocarditis. One of them quit, the guy kept injecting and the second time he caught endocarditis, he died. The only drugs they were doing were intravenous Buprenorphine and Cannabis. For people who aren't truly aware, there are fiends I know, myself included who shot Heroin, Cocaine or whatever else for years without a single complication aside from irritation. These guys are going for a few weeks before they get hit with an infection of the heart. Serious.

Then there are all of the folks you meet on here who suffer from fairly serious complications from this practice. There is just too much evidence in my opinion to possibly refute this claim. I really don't want people to get hurt. Least important of all, not one of these people I know report getting "anything; a buzz; high; what they wanted" from the practice. It's just not a good scene and there is clearly something special in these strips that makes them so gnarly.

If it were me, I'm telling you that I would go to the emergency department. You can always give a fake name or go to a diff spot than you usually do. If you need any and I mean any help, emotional support, assistance getting medical care or getting it paid for, don't hesitate to write me and we can figure it all out with limited discomfort involved!

Thanks bud! Appreciate it, surprisingly for a random person on the internet you definitely made me feel better about it.

So I'm home now and the official diagnosis is Cellulitis. I'm on 450mg of Clindamycin 3x daily and was told if it doesn't get any better in 2 days to come back, and to come back immediately if anything worsens. Apparently Cellulitis can be pretty bad untreated so I'm happy I was convinced to suck it up and go. The doctor and nurses were all wonderful and I didn't sense an ounce of judgment, which sounds silly but regardless I'm sure many of you understand.

The only thing I was a little unclear on was my last interaction with the doctor, he said he could cut it open and try to drain it but that it was entirely up to me. When I tried to push him for the best option he didn't give me much aside from restating that it was my choice. So in the end I figured if the antibiotics don't improve things any I can go back and ask for them to cut it open.

Anywho, sorry for this being long and having to bother but thanks again very much I truly appreciate the opinion, CH.
Absolutely no problem. Im glad you feel better about making the right choice. You should have went ahead and let him cut it open and clean the wound for you though. That would be my only last suggestion..but as he said, if it doesn't get better, go right back in there and get it done..although I would opt to get it out of the way to eliminate any more bad possibilities.

So after a few days of a ton of antibiotics and much more to continue taking this is what it looks like. It's pretty gross, if I touch one side you can actually see the bacteria float to the other side. At most I'm giving it until tomorrow to go have this sucker cut open, because already I've almost ripped it on accident and that would suck and aside from being painful I'd imagine it would also be very itchy, rather have the Dr do it and get it covered up professionally.

Attachments

• 0507192000~2.jpg
    0507192000~2.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 8
So after a few days of a ton of antibiotics and much more to continue taking this is what it looks like. It's pretty gross, if I touch one side you can actually see the bacteria float to the other side. At most I'm giving it until tomorrow to go have this sucker cut open, because already I've almost ripped it on accident and that would suck and aside from being painful I'd imagine it would also be very itchy, rather have the Dr do it and get it covered up professionally.
Bro bro, do not wait to go. Go now. Please..save yourself the heart ache. That is infected and your antibiotics are not working. That is such an easy fix. Don't be silly...go and get it done. You could even cut that open and clean it out yourself if you have some neosporin and an open razor thats been sterilized with a lighter and hydrogen peroxide. Otherwise, go get it done. Don't play around and lose a finger or worse...infections can spread very fast literally over night.

You're gonna fuck around and wake up with that whole hand purple and black..necrosis takes hold within hours of bacteria colonizing in the presence of flesh. Go get'r done right meow and report back after you see the doc.

Oh boy alright soon as the kids are asleep I'll go, thanks again will let you know how it goes.

I'm here at ER in a room waiting for doctor now. I think the picture made it worse than it is in reality but it definitely needs draining. It's much less painful than before antibiotics and I've been able to move my finger better than before, just want it to be over and done with - lesson learned.

Home now. Chose the no numbing route cause it seemed like that would hurt more. So the lady cut it and squeezed like crazy but suprisingly not a whole lot of pus. Said it should get better now if I keep doing the soaks and antibiotics but within 3 days the hand surgeon is gonna call to have me come in to check it out.

Anyway thanks again bud, have never blindly accepted internet advice before but seemed to be a good time to do so, lol.

Attachments

• 0508190125a.jpg
    0508190125a.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 7
Awesome, so glad to hear it OP. I totally understand where you're coming from. Most sane people do not get potentially life-altering advice from strangers on the internet. While there are definitely some individuals hanging around who will mislead you, we do our best to keep them at bay. The main point I would like to make is that, for a long time. we as a community have been more or less forced into tight-knit communities like this due to the absence of a truly reliable and accurate resource to take its place.

I am not bragging, but I would venture to say that, before an MD, we're probably going to be able to provide the most effective and accurate information around. The difference between the doctor and you, is that I doubt said doctor has ever developed an abscess as a result of drug injection. You can read books and look at pictures, but there's nothing like actually experiencing it.

For this reason, I hope that you might have a little bit more faith in what we are doing and the answers we give. Like I said, there are some douchebags, for sure, but if you stick around, you'll definitely come to find that those of us who care actually care a great deal. We can empathize with you man, so don't discount that.