• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone for chronic pain management

Opi_Kid_Rock

Bluelighter
Dear Members,

How long do the effects of Suboxone last for and is it good for managing chronic pain? I have joint pain throughout the day and it seems like Suboxone is the answer to my prayers am I missing something?

Suboxone is buprenorphine/naloxone and is usually prescribed for opioid addiction. For chronic pain you should ideally ask for/be prescribed a drug with only buprenorphine in it (i.e subutex) as the naloxone is only in there to discourage injection and doesn’t add anything to the pain relieving effects.

Aside from that, yes, buprenorphine can certainly be an effective drug for chronic pain.

Initially buprenorphine is often dosed everyday but once you’ve been taking it for a few days dosing can be reduced to the once every 2 or even 3 days, this is common in treatment for addiction, chronic pain patients may need smaller, more frequent doses to keep pain under control but I imagine twice or once a day would be enough for many pain patients.

One thing to remember is that despite being a partial opioid agonist, buprenorphine is still a very strong drug capable of causing addiction, overdose and painful withdrawals so going onto a daily buprenorphine treatment regime is not something to be taken lightly but if your chronic pain is severely affecting your life and livelihood then buprenorphine may be a lifesaver

Anyone else see the video on youtube where Dr Drew and Dr Spaz are recommending Suboxone as thee best pain med available? I concur. Same as methadone, much less restriction.

SUboxone is the best pair med for long term moderate hell-pain! No change in opinion since last post!!!

Opinion change since last 2 posts. Suboxone might not be as good as I boasted, lol. I would choose methadone at this point.

Good med for chronic pain ofcourse.you got different forms exactly for that purpose