• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Sublingual Use

TeraDactyl

Bluelighter
So am curious if any medication (pills mainly) can be taken as a sublingual to avoid the waste that happens when you take anything orally.

Most substances can be taken sublingually. Whether it's worth the effort depends on the drug in question and what fillers were used in the pill (whether it dissolves readily in water).

I’d say the main factors that go into sublingual dosing is the taste and quantity used. Most drugs do better with sublingual dosing over oral.

-GC
So I tried it with an oxy...other than my tongue going numb I'm not sure it made a difference

So I tried it with an oxy...other than my tongue going numb I'm not sure it made a difference

Ah.. Yea oxy isn’t one of them lol. Sorry. While I’m sure bioavailability increased a small amount, oxycodone has an unusually high oral bioavailability to begin with. This is why many people enjoy them orally, unlike say morphine where other ROA’s are needed for relief.

-GC

It 100 depends on the pharmacokinetics. Some compounds like ketamine have very low oral bioavialability while others like mitragynine must be metablized by the liver. Its like asking if any drug can be smoked.

Also, I highly advize against taking anything sublingualy that is HCL or free base. Personal experience screams "Don't do it!"

Ah.. Yea oxy isn’t one of them lol. Sorry. While I’m sure bioavailability increased a small amount, oxycodone has an unusually high oral bioavailability to begin with. This is why many people enjoy them orally, unlike say morphine where other ROA’s are needed for relief.

-GC
🤔👍🏻

First BL comment so sorry if its obvious, but whats wrong with sublingual ingestion of Hydrochloride compounds or free bases?
It 100 depends on the pharmacokinetics. Some compounds like ketamine have very low oral bioavialability while others like mitragynine must be metablized by the liver. Its like asking if any drug can be smoked.

Also, I highly advize against taking anything sublingualy that is HCL or free base. Personal experience screams "Don't do it!"

First BL comment so sorry if its obvious, but whats wrong with sublingual ingestion of Hydrochloride compounds or free bases?

Nothing really, good question. Certain drugs in certain forms can be caustic but that’s usually a mechanism of the drug itself and not what salt form/freebase it is.

Also depending how the drug was made there can be leftover acid or base which can increase the causticity (is that a word? Lol) of the drug being used.

I’ve used drugs in all forms sublingual. Ketamine itself is likely often HCl. If a drug is gonna burn you it’s gonna burn you.

-GC

Nothing really, good question. Certain drugs in certain forms can be caustic but that’s usually a mechanism of the drug itself and not what salt form/freebase it is.

Also depending how the drug was made there can be leftover acid or base which can increase the causticity (is that a word? Lol) of the drug being used.

I’ve used drugs in all forms sublingual. Ketamine itself is likely often HCl. If a drug is gonna burn you it’s gonna burn you.

-GC
Ahh okay that makes plenty of sense, thank you!

theres a few opioids with a high sublingual bioavailability. namely, buprenorphine and fentanyl. otherwise, i kinda wouldnt bother with trying to melt a tablet meant to be eaten under your tongue. theyre meant to be eaten. eat them.

I’d say the main factors that go into sublingual dosing is the taste and quantity used. Most drugs do better with sublingual dosing over oral.

-GC
As long as there are reasonably water soluble. Anything with an enteric coating, or with low solubility in water, or that are only fat soluble, you're wasting your money and it's not even going to work.

-GC
I kind of have to disagree there. The succinate form of most drugs does not burn. However, the HCl form burns like hell.

This is because succinic acid has a pH 3.5, and a PKA of between 4.5 and 5.5. It also doesn't have very many dissociated ions.

Based on pH alone, it is less acidic than vinegar, with less dissociated ions. It is even less caustic.

Hydrochloric acid on the other hand and therefore HCl salts will commonly cause an acid burn under your tongue and actually eat the tartar off the back of your teeth.

theres a few opioids with a high sublingual bioavailability. namely, buprenorphine and fentanyl. otherwise, i kinda wouldnt bother with trying to melt a tablet meant to be eaten under your tongue. theyre meant to be eaten. eat them.
Sorry but isnt bupe bioavailability low when taken sublingual