• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

sublingual bioavailability of melatonin

Melatonin does nothing for my sleep (as in make me fall asleep faster), but taken rarely enough it does give me really nice and vivid dreams.

sublingual melatonin has been sold for many years now.

sublingual is definitely superior. i have 3mg and 1mg pills, the 1's have b6 in them so terrible for sublingual, but the 3's are just sand+melatonin so they're fine for it, and sublingual is def better than just swallowing.
(obviously there are a million preparations made for sublingual(why does that throw incorrect spelling?wtf) that are flavored, but in a several-mg dosage any pill is fine to throw under your tongue, so long as additives like b-vits or valerian aren't in the mixture(b's are why your multivits smell like ass; valerian is one of, maybe the, worst-smelling volatile-organic extracts you'll find commonly available :| )

Melatonin has got to be up near the top sellers in terms of placebo effects. Aside from those that "feel better" from taking multivitamins
it doesn't really matter if it's placebo or not for me. after 5mg i can fall asleep in my chair, i can hardly keep my eyes open, comared to not taking it and just turning around in my bed for hours before i decide to do something and stop torturing myself. and it does have effect on dream recall placebo or not

yeah, most ppl do. but they're not.

that said, melatonin MORE THAN passes muster from my experiences w/ using it on/off for literally over a decade. Research is in agreement w/ this too, so i'm not concerned about its efficacy.

I consider myself to be resistant to any kind of placebo effect. Melatonin 5mg sublingual definitely helps me to get to sleep.

How exactly would you know? The whole point of the placebo effect is that you dont know.

I find it helps in the exceedingly rare cases that I use it. My girlfriend takes it every night she claims it works, if it works for her then it works doesnt matter if its a placebo or not to me. Never tried dissolving it maybe thats something to try.

Seems to be around 3x more effective sublingually. Also starts to make me sleepy in less than a hour. 3 mg does the trick while normally I need 3 x 3mg.

I don't understand people who say that melatonin is placebo. Might as well say that people sleep as good in bright daylight than in the dark. Maybe up the dosage if it doesn't work in common dosages. I remember Shulgin talking about doses up to 60mg.