• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Sub withdrawal

ark9

Bluelighter
I've been on sub maintenance for about a year, on and off (sometimes returning to my DOC for a little while). But mostly subs. I'm over it though... and I want to be clean, 100%. I'm sick of being dependent on a substance to get me through the day everyday.

So, today is day 1. So far so good.. I feel a little bit sweaty and clammy, but that's about it. My last dose was only about 24 hours ago, though.

I guess my question is: What am I in for? Is it really going to be as bad as everyone makes it out to be? I hear different reports from different people. A friend of mine said it was basically painless for him, while on here I often read it's NOT painless.

I jumped off at around 1-2mg. I know I should've tapered a bit lower, maybe, but I didn't have much of an option.

I have a few Xanax to get me through the next two weeks, and I've heard the first week is worse than the second... so I'm probably going to use them during this first week.

I've been putting this off for quite some time; but now that I'm out of a job, I feel this is my best opportunity to finally quit opiates once and for all.

Any further advice/input/words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated....
Thank you <3

1-2 mg is still decently high. and again experiences differ from person to person. be postive, stay hidrated and just try and sleep as much as possible if you start to feel shitty. i basically stopped at one point and jumped from 4 mg a day for 5 months and i just basically couldnt sleep, sweaty/ clammy , stuffy nose, yawns, eye tears... for about a week. then it just slowly gradually got better and better but you will feel drained, and depressed and just very tired... just keep pushing. let us know how your doing 48 hours in.

Thank you for your feedback, Bri.

Today's day 2 and I honestly feel the same as I did yesterday. I heard the "worst" of the w/d is at around the 4-5 day mark, and of course, I have an interview for a job I've been wanting so bad on Friday! (Today is Wednesday) so Friday would be day 4. I really don't want to miss this opportunity.

You will be fine, your gonna feel a little off obviously but just stick it out.... the best situation would for you to be able to have no commitments for about 2 weeks while your detoxing, but i guess that cant happen. let us know how your feeling each day please

I most definitely will! :)

One last thing. I just thought of an idea... and it might be crazy, but I'm not sure.

What if I did my DOC (heroin), just one bag, for my interview Friday?

Would that set me back to square one?
Or would it actually stop the sub withdrawals...possibly?
:?

^ I could understand doing that to get through something important like a job interview, but just know that while it will take you out of the bupe withdrawals for roughly a day or so, your going to go right back to how you were feeling prior to doing the dope.

I'm not sure weather I would consider that to a set back to square one, but it's still just prolonging the inevitable. If your going to do it and genuinely just want to not feel like shit then just do a very small amount until you feel normal. The leftovers will be calling though.

I most definitely will! :)

One last thing. I just thought of an idea... and it might be crazy, but I'm not sure.

What if I did my DOC (heroin), just one bag, for my interview Friday?

Would that set me back to square one?
Or would it actually stop the sub withdrawals...possibly?
:?

It would set you back to day one plus you might put your interview in jeopardy.
If you know you're going to slip do it with something that won't set you back as far, I would go for the lightest possible option.
I jumped off at .25mg and still had a rough time, best of luck.

Last edited:
If you know you're going to slip do it with something that won't set you back as far, I would go for the lightest possible option.
I jumped off at .25mg and still had a rough time, best of luck.

What do you mean by the lightest possible option? Something not as strong as dope?
Also, if you don't mind me asking another quick question... When was the peak of your w/d's? Was it around the 4-5th day, like I've heard?

^ I could understand doing that to get through something important like a job interview, but just know that while it will take you out of the bupe withdrawals for roughly a day or so, your going to go right back to how you were feeling prior to doing the dope.

I'm not sure weather I would consider that to a set back to square one, but it's still just prolonging the inevitable.

Ugh. Idk what to do mannnnn

A quick update if anyone cares-

Today is day 6. In a way I'm pleasantly surprised... my w/d's aren't nearly as bad as others have said on the forums. And the withdrawals come in waves! It's so weird... one minute I feel completely fine, and then a few hours later I'll feel like total shit.

I should add that I was able to get ahold of clonidine and neurontin, and I think they probably have helped with my withdrawals tremendously.

When I DO feel like shit, my symptoms have been insomnia, a little RLS, hot/cold flashes, chills, lethargy, achy, you know.... all those great opiate w/d symtoms. But as I said, they are not as intense as I had expected them to be and for that I'm so grateful...

About the interview...
Because of the insomnia, I was up all night before I went into the interview. I was so tired at this point, I could barely keep my eyes open on the road and swerved multiple times. I feel terrible because I know I put other lives in jeapordy but I hadn't realized how tired I really was until I was already driving.

Anyway, sorry if I'm dragging this story out, but I was falling asleep during the interview and they pretty much said "sorry, no... we can't have someone working for us who can't even stay awake." I apologized and pleaded that it was only because I hadn't slept for 24 hours and that it's not a normal occurrence; that it was just a rough night for me. I begged and tried everything I could to convince them this isn't my character, and that it would never happen again, but they weren't having it and again said they were sorry but they have to let me go. I hate myself for it. I think they thought I was high, honestly.

So, that fucking sucked. But I have to remember, everything happens for a reason... and I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

P.S. I didn't go through with my dumb little idea and use my DOC. So that is good. :)

good... keep sticking it out... its only going tyo get better... in the mean time start job searching!

Dayyyy 7, baby!!! That means things are only going to get better, right?!!!
I hope so.... 8(

I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night. Took 2 350mg Soma at around 4 am and finally fell asleep a few hrs later... woke at noon, but was constantly waking up and tossing and turning throughout the night. Also felt like utter shit upon wakening. I took Clonidine, Neurontin, Immodium, and 2 bars so... I'm a little better now. lol

Also, I've been concerned about daily benzo use... is 10-14 days enough to put me through a benzo w/d?

Also, I've been concerned about daily benzo use... is 10-14 days enough to put me through a benzo w/d?

Can be, try taking a day or two off. If you get cravings, try a taper. Some people have experienced unpleasant withdrawals after taking xanax for short periods of time which has given it a bad name, but stopping after a week or two of use generally just leaves people a little uncomfortable for a few days, if that. Should be alright.

Well done kicking the subs too. :)

Man subs are just diet herione for real with a lil less nod. I spent more time trying to wien and kick them then i did tabs perks and methadone combined. Tapering wasnt that hard till i got to 2 mgs a day and i literally was stuck there for almost 2 years. 5 years total on strips, almost resided they would just be there till i died. Nuerotin is helpful, somas if you habe access. But in the end was just sweating ty to my newborn son ryder cause he really gets most the credit for motivating me.

yes just keep pushing... life will only get better... each day you should feel a little bit better but be strong... this shits half life is crazy....do not even think of using or quitting this... you have gone way to far and suffered way to much to just throw this away. just stay positive and know that the sickness feeling will not last forever... try and slow down on the benzos also... you dont want to trade addictions... just be positive, try and go to some AA/NA Meetings to share your experience so far. *it does help motiviate u* and keep us posted.

It's been 10 days. I feel like shit, honestly.
Out of benzo's.... Which is part of my problem, I'm sure

Depression hit me like a truck. I can't sleep for shit.
Cold sweats are still present. I'm so fucking bored, uninterested, irritable, unmotivated, restless.
And cravings are fairly intense.

Thought it'd be better the second week...
I thought wrong

Last edited:
Dayyyy 7, baby!!! That means things are only going to get better, right?!!!
I hope so.... 8(

I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night. Took 2 350mg Soma at around 4 am and finally fell asleep a few hrs later... woke at noon, but was constantly waking up and tossing and turning throughout the night. Also felt like utter shit upon wakening. I took Clonidine, Neurontin, Immodium, and 2 bars so... I'm a little better now. lol

This will be the extent of your symptoms, they won't get much worse.. That's the good news, the bad news is they'll last a few weeks, sometimes more than a month.

first off id like to say congrats on getting off subs, something I could never do

are you happy with where you are at now? I mean like is how you are feeling worth quitting the subs over? Is being "clean" that important to where life becomes awful? This is why I will say on suboxone indefinitely...

I hate to be that guy but from your last post it sounds like it could be the beginning of a run. If you relapse now you have a very high chance of dying but Im sure you know that

to me it just wasnt worth it, 3 years ago, I Tried weening off my subs, and I did, I got down to 0, but 3 weeks later I went into the worst relapse of my life, then i got back on subs because life was awful. What is the point of being miserable, feeling like shit, hating every second of life just to say we are 100% "clean"?

I don't get it..