• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study: Use of illicit drugs does not necessarily relate to use of alcohol, tobacco

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Study: Use of illicit drugs does not necessarily relate to use of alcohol, tobacco
Tuesday, May 19, 2015
Becky Orr

Business/Health/Environment Reporter
CHEYENNE - Widespread use of illicit drugs does not necessarily relate to widespread use of legal substances like alcohol and tobacco, according to a new study.

BetterDoctor.com, an online site that helps people across the country find doctors, prepared the study. It questions traditional wisdom that tobacco and alcohol use are gateways to future use of illicit drugs.

Wyoming, for example, ranked ninth-highest of all states for tobacco use among residents and 14th for alcohol use, according to the study. Yet Wyoming placed 41st for illicit drug use.

Kentucky is another example. It ranked first for tobacco use, but placed 40th for illicit drug use.

The report defined illicit drugs as marijuana, cocaine, crack, heroin, hallucinogens, inhalants and pain relievers used for nonmedical purposes.

The study is based on 2012 statistics compiled by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

"While illicit drugs are dangerous, legal substances can be as dangerous or more dangerous," the study said.

"Although a state may have a low rate of illicit drug use, residents still can become addicted to other dangerous substances," it added.

Divya Raghavan, senior analyst for BetterDoctor.com, wrote the report. Results shed light on states with the highest tobacco use, she said.

Several factors affect illicit drug use, such as whether drugs are accessible, she said. States with higher illicit drug use may have an established drug culture there.

Wyoming's lower rate of illicit drug use could mean it has done a good job of fighting it, she said.

Jason Mincer, government relations state director of the American Cancer Society's Cancer Action Network, said Wyoming's low tobacco tax could be a factor in high tobacco use.

Wyoming's tobacco tax of about 60 cents a pack is not high, he said. The tax on a pack of cigarettes in New York is $4.35.

States with high tobacco use are those that have low tobacco taxes, lack comprehensive statewide smoke-free laws and don't have a tobacco prevention program funded at levels recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

continued with links http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2015/05/20/news/20local_05-20-15.txt#.VVzdxvlViko

I cannot recall the last time that I consumed alcoholic beverages and did not end up intensely craving nicotine, followed soon thereafter by cocaine.

Normally when I'm not intoxicated by way of booze, I have no urge whatsoever to smoke and use any coke (or anything else), but that all changes big time once I'm drunk. It always happens, which is why I stopped drinking years ago.

On the other hand, smoking weed has always resulted in increased appetite, sedation, and no desire to combine it with another drug.

If there is such a thing as a "gateway drug," mine is undoubtedly alcohol.

Are you sure you were craving coke or was it just an ingredient in one of your docs cocaethylene.

Also alcohol weakens any resistance or the will power the PFC enjoys.

Last edited: