• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study: Oreos may be more addictive than drugs

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
The professor who supervised the study at Connecticut College in New London says Oreos may not be just as addictive as drugs, they may be more addictive.

"That may be one reason people have trouble staying away from them and it may be contributing to the obesity epidemic," said Joseph Schroeder.

Most people like Oreos, he and his students figured. Rats like chocolate too, so the researchers crumbled up the cookies for rats, rats they put into chambers. Just as the rats preferred the chamber where they were given cocaine and morphine, they preferred the chamber where they were given Oreos. Yes, they ate the cream first.

The rats' brains showed the Oreos had stimulated more neurons in their pleasure centers.

"We looked at the pleasure center of the brain which is stimulated any time you engage in a pleasurable activity, including eating. Drugs of abuse hijack that system and lead to addiction," said Schroeder.

cont at
http://www.wwlp.com/news/health/study-oreos-may-be-more-addictive-than-drugs

I really think the only hope we have is to legalize it all and learn to jump from addiction to addiction.. the negative results of one is cured by another and vice versa.. why fight it I say.

I think we should ban sucrose. Evil drug. Also, salt. Promotes gluttony, don'cha know.

Pass the wheat gruel.

I'd rather the cocaine. Not much into Oreos personally, funny study tho.

We're talking about rats here. Have you ever had a rat in your house? They'll chew through steel mesh to get at a few moldering crumbs.

I'd like to see them try to replicate this with cocaine-sensitized humans. For instance me.

I think we should ban sucrose. Evil drug. Also, salt. Promotes gluttony, don'cha know.

Pass the wheat gruel.
I agree sekio and dont forget to enjoy that gruel with some nice room temperature water. Now thats living the right way folks.. if its enjoyable enough to make us want to do it.. it needs to be banned. Imagine how long we could live if we did nothing really enjoyable ever.

Last edited:
We're talking about rats here. Have you ever had a rat in your house? They'll chew through steel mesh to get at a few moldering crumbs.

I'd like to see them try to replicate this with cocaine-sensitized humans. For instance me.

Exactly. Rats don't have to self-medicate or cope with life so of course they go for food. There's no social scene for rats using drugs. There is a scene for them eating crumbs however...

So that Cookie Monster is just another out of control addict? That Sesame Street is pretty rough. I mean that guy Oscar lives in a garbage can and that Snuffleupagus sounds all fucked up all the time. Now with this article that Cookie Monster makes a lot more sense.

Maybe they'll be on the next season of Celebrity Rehab?

everyone is an addict chasing a high. some have hobbies, food, sex love lust, socializing/people, work, money, blah blah... it all lights up some pleasure center in your brain at some point, and everyone spends their life chasing a high in one way or another. some are more sustainable and healthy and accepted by society.

Hmmm since they have come out with the megastuffs id be inclined to agree lol. Seriously, its like 3 reg oreos of filling. I love oreos so i crush those for sure when im xaned out on my methadone lol.

everyone is an addict chasing a high. some have hobbies, food, sex love lust, socializing/people, work, money, blah blah... it all lights up some pleasure center in your brain at some point, and everyone spends their life chasing a high in one way or another. some are more sustainable and healthy and accepted by society.

I thought I was the only person that believed this. LOL I love it when you see the 600 pond person with high blood pressure and diabetes sitting in a Mcdonald's eating their Big Mac tell people that drugs are bad for you. It's probably more dangerous for you to get in your car and drive to get drugs then it is to actually do drugs.

Their research design don't allow them to make the interpretations from their results that they claim:

1) rats like cocaine more than saline
2) rats like oreos more than rice cakes
their conclusion: cocaine is as addictive as oreos.

However, they didn't do an experiment to compare the two against each other, either with cocaine-sensitized rats or rats exposed to Oreos earlier. In theory, this would've been easy: put cocaine on one side of the box and oreos on the other, and see which the rats prefer. But they didn't, all they can say is that rats like drugs AND sugar. But no big surprise there, right? I mean, so do humans...

Yeah I had some in my house here. They chewed through some wires in the back of my old fridge and when I pulled the fridge out from the wall to investigate why it was tripping the power I saw a small family of dead rodents and some chewed wires.
My dog loves to try and get them so they thought they had a nice warm safe place there where the dog couldnt get them. I havent seen any rodent activity here in ages now, I put baits in the roof, I might start putting some cocaine and oreos up there and see what gets eaten first.

I had a similar suspicion about Krispy Kreme donuts months before this article came out. (I think that means I'm psychic)

Both my pops and i love oreos, i asked him the other night if he wanted me to fix us up a shot, or we could grind them and run them off foil. He was not amused.