Study: HIIT Superior to Moderate Intensity Cardio

Ah yes. Same as my idea of 'sprints' :) though on a gusty day it would certainly add an extra level to the 'interval' side of things haha.

CFC, does the full article make any mention of specific populations benefiting from HIIT over others? I saw a show on TV several years ago talking about this subject and remember them mentioning this but can't remember who it favors or why.

I have been using the HIIT method for 32 days, i hadn't lifted weights in 25 years but i jumped in feet first and have been seeing and feeling gains every day, I'm a paraplegic so my routine is from the waist up..
Started out with 15 minute sessions twice daily with whey protein between sessions, 32 days later i am HIIT'n it for 30 minutes sessions twice daily, early morning and late evening..
When your muscles are used to being relaxed they don't want to cooperate so you have to shock the muscles into submission so they start growing..
I love it, no more than 60 seconds between individual workouts and pushing it, also on strict high protein low calorie diet and have dropped 3 pants sizes since i began, my goal is to go from 44 waist to a 34 waist in 60 days..
Summer Bodies are Built during the Winter :)

I have been using the HIIT method for 32 days, i hadn't lifted weights in 25 years but i jumped in feet first and have been seeing and feeling gains every day, I'm a paraplegic so my routine is from the waist up..
Started out with 15 minute sessions twice daily with whey protein between sessions, 32 days later i am HIIT'n it for 30 minutes sessions twice daily, early morning and late evening..
When your muscles are used to being relaxed they don't want to cooperate so you have to shock the muscles into submission so they start growing..
I love it, no more than 60 seconds between individual workouts and pushing it, also on strict high protein low calorie diet and have dropped 3 pants sizes since i began, my goal is to go from 44 waist to a 34 waist in 60 days..
Summer Bodies are Built during the Winter :)

Thats amazing given your correct condition
Very inspiring

CFC, does the full article make any mention of specific populations benefiting from HIIT over others? I saw a show on TV several years ago talking about this subject and remember them mentioning this but can't remember who it favors or why.

Hi Kitty. PM your email and I'll send the full study if you like. From memory and reading other papers, all populations (including the elderly surprisingly) are believed to benefit equally. However in those with pre-existing heart conditions (and especially afib) and obesity with evidence of severe atherosclerosis, the sudden change of state must certainly be considered risky (clots, arrhythmias etc). In one, I believe there was a 3 month period to acclimatise high BMI elderly patients to some basic exercise before commencing an HIIT programme. Unfortunately I haven't got time to go through my papers at the moment but if I get a chance will respond later.