Study: HIIT Superior to Moderate Intensity Cardio

CFC

Bluelight Crew
I've talked a few times before about how HIIT is superior to moderate and low intensity cardio from the perspective of cardiovascular functioning. Increasingly studies are also beginning to analyse the effect of HIIT on blood parameters of cardiovascular health - in this case postprandial (so, after a meal).

In this study, they looked at the effects of 2 x (2 x 1) minute bouts of HIIT (cycling) with 75 secs breaks; versus work-matched (ie the same overall physical output) moderate-intensity cardio...

Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental
September 2015, Volume 64, Issue 9, Pages 1068–1076

Accumulating exercise and postprandial health in adolescents

Bert Bond, Craig A. Williams, Sarah R. Jackman, Adam Woodward, Neil Armstrong, Alan R. Barker

Abstract

Purpose
To examine the influence of exercise intensity on postprandial health outcomes in adolescents when exercise is accumulated throughout the day.

Methods
19 adolescents (9 male, 13.7 ± 0.4 years old) completed three 1-day trials in a randomised order: (1) rest (CON); or four bouts of (2) 2 × 1 min cycling at 90% peak power with 75 s recovery (high-intensity interval exercise; HIIE); or (3) cycling at 90% of the gas exchange threshold (moderate-intensity exercise; MIE), which was work-matched to HIIE. Each bout was separated by 2 hours. Participants consumed a high fat milkshake for breakfast and lunch. Postprandial triacylglycerol (TAG), glucose, systolic blood pressure (SBP) and fat oxidation were assessed throughout the day.

Results
There was no effect of trial on total area under the curve (TAUC) for TAG (P = 0.87). TAUC-glucose was lower in HIIE compared to CON (P = 0.03, ES = 0.42) and MIE (P = 0.04, ES = 0.41), with no difference between MIE and CON (P = 0.89, ES = 0.04). Postprandial SBP was lower in HIIE compared to CON (P = 0.04, ES = 0.50) and MIE (P = 0.04, ES = 0.40), but not different between MIE and CON (P = 0.52, ES = 0.11). Resting fat oxidation was increased in HIIE compared to CON (P = 0.01, ES = 0.74) and MIE (P = 0.05, ES = 0.51), with no difference between MIE and CON (P = 0.37, ES = 0.24).

Conclusion
Neither exercise trial attenuated postprandial lipaemia. However, accumulating brief bouts of HIIE, but not MIE, reduced postprandial plasma glucose and SBP, and increased resting fat oxidation in adolescent boys and girls. The intensity of accumulated exercise may therefore have important implications for health outcomes in youth.

http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(15)00160-2/abstract

I believe you were the one that also mentioned HIIT's induction of hypertrophy to our myocardium to be more beneficial in comparison to other methods for aerobic training. I wish I would have known about HIIT syle training back in track and cross country. I was always under the impression that sustained aerobic exercise like endurance running was the way to go.

Yes, there's a fairly large body of evidence that supports the beneficial effect of HIIE (HIIT) on the heart now. What I would love for them to study next is a combination of HIIE + MIE instead of rest, vs pure HIIE + rest. I wonder if it has superior outcomes.

At the end of the day, the kind of exercise types we naturally evolved to perform are those you'd expect to be most beneficial. Given that tribal/nomadic humans seemed to do a lot of MIE when hunting prey, its smaller contribution to cardiovascular health is puzzling. So perhaps fighting and the intensity in the last minutes before a kill (the 'HIIE') accomplished that.

What are your thoughts on HIIT and it's influence on corresponding muscle fiber population? I was always told that exercise can influence the ratio of slow-twitch/fast-twitch fibers, but I was an endurance runner all my life and yet I have the most bizarre vertical jump ability which contradicts my preferred exercise. I did high jump in track, but 99% of my events were long distance running. Also, playing center midfield in soccer favors more endurance activity.

Training does influence fibre composition, but there are some basics that are more important. Eg the ACTN3 gene that appears to be involved in the dominance of people of west african origin in sprinting. You may well have that gene....

Training does influence fibre composition, but there are some basics that are more important. Eg the ACTN3 gene that appears to be involved in the dominance of people of west african origin in sprinting. You may well have that gene....

I'm going to have to look into that further considering I am the offspring of two stereotypical Caucasian parents that had absolutely no athletic ability or any real recognizable traits that would be considered athletic.

I'm going to have to look into that further considering I am the offspring of two stereotypical Caucasian parents that had absolutely no athletic ability or any real recognizable traits that would be considered athletic.

what color is the milk man

what color is the milk man

Lol you don't know how many times people have told me that theory. Just to further solidify that idea, I have different eye color than everyone, different skin color, only one that is left handed, and the only male that didn't develop pectus excavatum. I'm pretty sure it's rare to have two different eye colors and can only assume if it occurs that my siblings would have it as well? I have what I describe a close to black-brown eye and a sky blue eye.

The contradicting part is that I have IBS and have had a G.I doctor find textbook Crohn's sores while having a colonoscopy which is very similar to my grandmother on my father's side. But yeah in high school I somehow got a 28'' vertical jump in weightlifting class and even beat out a few black dudes, but I'd wonder if that was from the skateboarding I did all my life. I never ever played basketball as I possess no hand-eye coordination.

Im in the same boat as you really
I dont like anything like either of my parents and im basically bigger then both of them put together

Same here. I have personality traits from them but that's am argument of nature vs nurture. My eyes are different from theirs, hair, facial features, skin complexion, etc. Everytime I'm in Walgreens I want to buy the paternity tests at the pharmacy but ultimately I ask myself: would it really matter? My mother has always been a POS and one can't really dispute their mother. My dad is the best dad he could be, so in the end, it doesn't matter to me. The only curiosity comes from congenital illnesses and conditions to be aware of.

As per the topic, I do both hiit in the gym and my job involves lots of low intensity cardio via walking dogs for hours a day. When Incorporate moderate intensity on the tread mill is when I reap the most benefits in overall performance, though I can't test for structural changes myself and dont have the cash for exams.

Ive switched over to hiit a long time ago before it was cool. Ive always hated doing normal cardio so ive always done things to add some excitement to me working out and losing weight

The thing I love most about cycling for cardio is in my experience it's bang on synonymous with HIIT haha. You certainly notice slight uphill stints going as hard as you can on a pushbike. Then when you get to the top of the small uphill bit, you can cruise for recovery until the next annoying hill. Jogging just doesn't seem to change nearly as much when the incline changes.

If I'm on a machine, it'll be the stairmaster or elliptical :) cycling just feels better, being outside breathing clean* air in the sun*, and it feels more productive than running/jogging as I actually cover some sort of distance haha. I like to observe the scenery with a bit more pace :)

*location dependant haha...sometimes the air can be UNclean enough even the sunlight ain't so bright. Thankfully, not here :)

yeah unfortunately i havent lived in a place to cycle and enjoy scenery since high school

I love wind sprints for my hiit. Cardio in a gym is mind numbing and nothing beats tearing up the grass track. Only downside is the 11 months of the year when it rains all day here lol

Theres also boxing training which I love..
I try to get in at least 12 rounds of shadow boxing...on a good day I can get in 36

Wind sprints = simple sprint on grass, against the wind? Makes sense :)

I agree stationary cardio is laaaaaaame. I only enjoy it when I'm in a thinking mood - when I have plenty of stuff to go over in my mind, essentially zoning out of reality. Stairmaster is best for this as I find there's less chance of falling off when you've got your eyes closed deep in thought/the music bahahaha

So I rode 3.8km to the gym, 70kg stationary lunges x8,7,5 (per leg....how does everyone else count lunge reps, out of curiosity?), then 3.8km back to work slightly uphill. I'm stuffed, and this was NOTHING haha. Actually keen to get back into my standard lunchtime ride of 13km from work around the nearby lake and back. Had it down to 25.XX mins previously. I expect to be back near my first times of almost 35 mins haha

What constitutes "1 round" of shadow boxing? 60 seconds?

Wind sprints = simple sprint on grass, against the wind? Makes sense :)

I agree stationary cardio is laaaaaaame. I only enjoy it when I'm in a thinking mood - when I have plenty of stuff to go over in my mind, essentially zoning out of reality. Stairmaster is best for this as I find there's less chance of falling off when you've got your eyes closed deep in thought/the music bahahaha

So I rode 3.8km to the gym, 70kg stationary lunges x8,7,5 (per leg....how does everyone else count lunge reps, out of curiosity?), then 3.8km back to work slightly uphill. I'm stuffed, and this was NOTHING haha. Actually keen to get back into my standard lunchtime ride of 13km from work around the nearby lake and back. Had it down to 25.XX mins previously. I expect to be back near my first times of almost 35 mins haha

What constitutes "1 round" of shadow boxing? 60 seconds?

3 minutes - When i was boxing i used to have someone try to clock me at 150 punches a round for the hopes of getting 50-60 clean hard punches during a normal fight. I still "feel" like im averaging between 100-150 punches though, and sometimes I use resistance bands also for extra resistance, obviously that makes things much harder

Wind sprint is just a shuttle sprint. I guess the name comes from gusts of wind. I do a 75-100m sprint then walk back to the start, then repeat. Excellent cardio.