• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study: Giving Addicts Heroin More Effective than Methadone

Bluelight Crew
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2012/mar/12/study_giving_addicts_heroin_more

Treating intractable heroin addicts with a pharmaceutical version of their drug is more cost-effective than providing them with methadone, a common opioid substitute, a study published Monday in the Canadian Medical Association Journal suggests.

The study analyzed data from the North American Opiate Medication Initiative (NAOMI ), a 2005-2008 study that compared the use of diacetylmorphine (heroin) and methadone in street addicts. In the NAOMI study, researchers selected 250 subjects in Vancouver and Montreal who had been strung out for at least five years and had twice previously failed on methadone maintenance. Participants were randomly chosen to take either heroin or methadone.

Researchers in this study examined the cost-effectiveness of the two approaches in one-year, five-year, 10-year increments, as well over the lifetimes of the users. The study found that those using methadone generated an average lifetime social cost of $1.14 million, while those using diacetylmorphine had a cost of $1.1 million, a difference of about $40,000 per user. An estimated 60,000 to 90,000 Canadians are addicted to heroin or other opioids.

"If you are on treatment, you're basically well-behaved," principal investigator Aslam Anis, a health economist at the University of British Columbia told the Canadian Press Monday. "When you're not taking treatment, for instance when you relapse, you're doing all kinds of bad things, criminal activity, getting into jail. The cost benefit is through an indirect effect," said Anis, through fewer robberies and other crimes, which have an adverse impact on victims and drive up criminal justice system costs.

"People who take (medical) heroin are retained on the treatment for longer periods of time and they have shorter periods of time when they relapse," Anis said. "And when you add it all up, you find that you've actually saved money."

"Methadone can be a very effective medication for some people, but it doesn't work for everybody with heroin addiction," said co-author Dr. Martin Schechter, an epidemiologist at UBC's School of Population and Public Health. "And there is a subset of folks who go in and out of treatment and ultimately end up back using street heroin. They would be unlikely to be attracted into yet another methadone program," he said.

"But giving them injections of medically prescribed heroin in a clinic setting staffed by doctors, nurses and counselors gets them back into the health-care system. It also cuts the risk of infection with hepatitis C and HIV from needle-sharing. So diacetylmorphine is a medically prescribed heroin that we show in the study was more likely to keep people in treatment. And we know that keeping people in treatment is a very important predictor of success."

No matter what this or any other study finds, the Conservative Canadian government is opposed to harm reduction measures, such as safe injection sites and heroin maintenance therapies. Still, said Schecter, the government needs to face reality.

"The fact is that these people are taking heroin right now. They're in the back alleys in the Downtown Eastside, they're buying the heroin on the street, contributing to the black market and crime and violence," he said. "And they're not in any treatment and they're costing the system lots and lots of money. So our proposal says rather than having them do that in the back alley, why don't we attract them into a clinic where they will be in contact with doctors and nurses and counselors, we stabilize them by getting them out of a life of crime."

So, is anybody listening in Ottawa? Probably not, but the current government won't be in power forever.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2012/mar/12/study_giving_addicts_heroin_more

I can just see the addicts lining up to inject the pharm heroin............

^ They already line up to inject street heroin, why not have them injecting a pharmaceutical product in a sterile environment?

^ They already line up to inject street heroin, why not have them injecting a pharmaceutical product in a sterile environment?

Oh I agree, it wasnt meant to sound bad when I typed it. Just meant to say they will be getting grade A pharm quality heroin, something they will love compared to Methadone.

If I was starting out with heroin, I would be the first in line to get the best heroin in a clean environment.

I've never used opiates really but as far as cigarettes go, one method I tried using to quit was tapering. They should try this method with heroin. If they knew exact dosages, it would be much easier to help addicts overcome their addiction.

I mean, they should give this method a try as it could be more effective than methadone. I know nothing personally of opiate addiction though I just had this idea. They really should get creative with helping addicts stop as jail does nothing for addiction.

I applied for the methadone program and got accepted...but I quit going before I got my first dose. The program isn't very helpful and I doubt they will do any thing to change it.

I applied for the methadone program and got accepted...but I quit going before I got my first dose. The program isn't very helpful and I doubt they will do any thing to change it.

I don't agree; I've found methadone to be extremely helpful. But how can you get accepted and not dose? They're supposed to dose you as soon as you're accepted.

I've never used opiates really but as far as cigarettes go, one method I tried using to quit was tapering. They should try this method with heroin. If they knew exact dosages, it would be much easier to help addicts overcome their addiction.

I mean, they should give this method a try as it could be more effective than methadone. I know nothing personally of opiate addiction though I just had this idea. They really should get creative with helping addicts stop as jail does nothing for addiction.

Didn't they used to do tapering in the 50's? In William S Burroughs book junky he describes being locked up in a facility for "the state cure" which was basically lining up for a tapered shot a day. It must not have been very effective, I think opiate addiction is more about the psychological/behavior addiction than physical.

I don't agree; I've found methadone to be extremely helpful. But how can you get accepted and not dose? They're supposed to dose you as soon as you're accepted.

You found methadone helpful yes? But what about the program? I was talking about the program itself...they don't do much to help you change from what I've seen... And the program I was in where assholes they wouldn't let me dose until I had been approved, then gone to a harm reduction meeting, then gone to get my bloodwork, then finally approved by a doctor for dosing. Then I would dose on site and they would observe me.... I was at the last step but said fuck it as I could see that it was too difficult a program to follow. You can't tell a poly substance abuser trying to kick opiates that they will have to quit weed and booze and shit too... Also coming in everyday is counterproductive as it reminds me of scoring dope and makes me a slave to the clinic... I have fucked up sleep and can't be damned to be on time all the time every time fuck that...

theres a documentary called "If Drugs Were Legal" where they act out scenarios based in the future if drugs are legal and they show a heroin dispensary and how it works and shit its pretty interesting check it out its free online

Study: Heroin may be cheaper and more effective at treating addicts than methadone

Heroin addicts are often prescribed treatment with another opiate drug, methadone, to help them through painful withdrawal symptoms.

A new study suggests it might be cheaper and more effective to just use actual heroin.

Medically-prescribed heroin, known as diacetylmorphine, was found to be more cost-effective at helping ween addicts from opioid dependence than methadone maintenance treatment, the study shows.

For the study, published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, researchers used data from an earlier study on medically-prescribed heroin along with drug data from British Columbia, to find out more about opioid dependance. They calculated the cost-effectiveness ratio of diacetylmorphine and methadone over 1, 5, and 10-year periods, as well as lifetime benchmarks.

Not only was heroin more effective at giving recovering addicts more "quality-adjusted life-years" (7.96 years) than methadone (7.46 years), it cost society less to treat each addict, reductions that were mostly credited to less criminal activity, the researchers said. A patient in methadone therapy costs society $1.14 million, the researchers estimated, while a person treated with diacetylmorphine cost society $1.09 million.

cont at
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...effective-at-treating-addicts-than-methadone/

Tapering is actually pretty common, usually they swap the addict to bupe or methadone, then once they've stabilized, slowly reduce the dose.

The problem is that it does nothing to address the psychological aspect of addiction. People become an addict for a reason, and if you don't address that reason they'll either go right back to getting high or replace heroin with another drug within weeks of the taper ending, as a rule.

The physical side of opiate addiction is complicating, but it's far from the main factor that causes users to continue the cycle.

OLD fuckin news... and u dont need a goddamn research study to figure out that down heads prefer down to done... its common sense script junkies whatever they prefer w/o the methadrone programs endless fucking leash and destruction of dignity

^ lol i know I laugh at the lunacy of them thinking prescribing methadone, which is even harder to kick than H or oxys from alot of people is completely fine, but to just prescribe a controlled dose of the addicts drug of choice daily, oh god no they wouldnt even consider that. An opiate is an opiate is an opiate.

I eagerly await the day when Harper and his conservative possy of narrowminded, tunnelvision prone cronies implode and cease to be in power.