Student loans and drug charges

thcontin

Bluelighter
7 months ago i my house was raided after an unfortunate series of events and im just now going to court, my question is if i started receiving student loans after the raid and after the crime was committed can the conviction effect my ability to recieve this loans and stay in school? any information would be appreciated cause im basicly freakin out.

THNX

Yes, unless you get a continuance or the equivalent in your state, you will probably lose your government financial aid. To receive a definitive answer, look here: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before013.htm

Hopefully these laws will be changed in the future. Until then, if you are a first time offender and live in a fairly liberal state, you probably have a good chance of receiving a continuance and you should strive to achieve this ruling with the help of a competent lawyer. Best of luck to you.

But... You can also regain it in the event that you lose it by attending an "acceptable drug rehab" program! ;)

Yes, try to remain optimistic. A good attorney can often get your charges reduced or dismissed through drug court, pre-trial intervention, and so forth. Remember, you have been charged, but not convicted.

the place i live is so frigging conservative that if you even get caught with a seed of marijuana in ur car the cops will take u in for possession of marijuana.. This happened to my friend, he got pulled over and the cop searched his car (the cops here will search ur car with out permission and get away with it!) and found a seed and my friend went to jail on the spot for possession!! omg the injustices in this state and country (USA) are so unbelievable its ridiculous...

^ If the student loans are federally-guaranteed, the rules about drug convictions should be the same in every state. Comments?

Johnny1 said:
^ If the student loans are federally-guaranteed, the rules about drug convictions should be the same in every state. Comments?

This is true, but his state may be of interest as - obviously - some states are much more lenient than others when it comes to drug-related offenses, which can be the difference between retaining these loans by participating in a diversion program where the charge is wiped after successful completion of probation, or losing them via a conviction.

^ Just charged? That doesn't sound fair. Are you sure it's not "if you get convicted"?

I can't imagine that it is just "charged." I did, however, lose a job for being charged with DP possession, despite never being convicted.

Why would committing a crime result in refusal of education? That seems a little counter-intuitive, no?

It's kind of like getting fired. If someone has a propensity to commit a crime, the last thing you want to do is give them an excuse. Free time, zero responsibility, and the need to survive won't rehabilitate someone.

What a strange society we live in.