• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Struggling with anxiety and heart (please help)

teadrinker1

Greenlighter
Hello,

I did coke a few nights ago (Tuesday and today is Saturday). Did around a gram each (my friends and I). I have only done it 3 times before, and on this occasion it's really hit me hard. I would usually have a one day comedown period, of maybe a couple hours of anxiety. The following day I was absolutely fine until about 5pm (Wednesday afternoon) I had a full blown panic attack and thought I was having a heart attack. I managed to calm myself down and haven't had one since however there is CONSTANT, and I mean constant anxiety that lingers. I can just feel my heart beating in my chest. Nothing like a pounding sensation, it's just beating in the background and I can feel it and it's driving me crazy. It's hard to explain exactly.

Anyways I went to the doc and had my heart checked out and he said all was fine, except my blood pressure was really high (160). I know this is common with coke but this was on Friday (3 days after I originally did it). He told me I needed to let me body rest and gave me a mild tranquilizer to get slow down my heart rate a bit as well as sleeping pills and I was struggling to fall into my usually deep sleeps (was sleeping VERY light).

I keep telling myself it will be gone tomorrow and it's just part of the come-down but do these comedowns really last this long? I have just been to the gym (I am a very healthy 23 year old who usually exercises 6 days a week), and after one set my heart was literally pounding through my chest and I decided to leave and not risk any further risk of damage.

My fear is that I have caused some serious permanent damage somehow and I'm now going to live with this for the rest of my life. My question is, is this normal for a coke comedown? And if so, how much longer will it last? I can honestly say this has scared me beyond anything and I will never touch the stuff again.

Any advice will be very much appreciated. I'm in a very dark place at the moment.

"My fear is that I have caused some serious permanent damage somehow and I'm now going to live with this for the rest of my life." - this is probably the reaso youre so anxious.

no-one here will really be able to tell you how long it will last, as cocaine is notoriously impure so you could have taken basically anything (and please dont tell me a friend said its 80% pure :))

youre just freaking out. you had a bad scare from the comedown and its snowballing. youve been checked out by a doctor who said youre okay. youll be absolutely fine. maybe knock the cocaine on the head, eh? coke's shit nowadays anyway, it's all RC's and hairspray.

I agree with the guy above me, it's just anxiety. I suffer from an anxiety disorder and part of that is phases of severe health anxiety which has several times been related to my heart. Let me tell you when you emerge from this period of anxiety you will realise the extraordinary effect anxiety can have on your physical health. If your so obsessed about your heart then you will be on edge so naturally have a higher heart rate, that awareness of your heart rate your talking about are called heart palpatations but these can be caused by anxiety - when your constantly thinking about your heart of course your aware of it beating, your likely checking for any perceived irregularities. Also as a cardiologist explained to me peoples hearts occasionally do weird things, have blips or tachycardia, skip a beat stuff like that but it is normal and not dangerous as it is just a very irregular thing that just happens. However when your constantly worried there is something wrong you will be more aware and notice this stuff and so get more anxious. The come down from coke comes with anxiety and slightly out of control emotions so to me it seems like this combined with a predisposition towards anxiety is leading you to experience quite bad anxiety related to your heart.

My best advice other than try to calm your self and remind yourself that the odds of you causing damage with a single night of not massively excessive drug use is incredible unlikely and that you passed tests at doctors (I assume ecg etc and blood pressure is likely to to a combination of stress and cocaine elevating it) is get your hands on some benzos. Enough for a week or so. I assume your doctor you used cocaine (No reason not too he won't report you to anyone and is unlikely to lecture you too much) you could ask for a short course of benzodiazepine treatment to help you deal with your anxiety. I would they would be quite happy to give you a week or so's worth of diazepam or something similar (you probably want something subtler but long lasting to give you all day help). Of course you could also purchase some if you know a dealer who sells benzos - I would recommend diazepam for the long effect, the stronger stuff like xanax/ kpins are short term and more for panic attack sort of situations.

I recently had a very bad experience with doing way too much crystal meth that I actually made a thread about. I ended up phoning my doctor explaining the situation and the anxiety I was experiencing in my come down and just from how I sounded on the phone he gave me 4 days worth of diazepam ( low dose but up to 3 a day) which a friend picked up for me an hour later and I can say it helped immensely. Trust me you will recover from this and look back at how on edge you were and laugh at yourself a little. And you can use this negative experience going forward to help shield you from future comedown anxiety - you made it that time why would this time be different sort of thing.

Also the whole "I'm going to feel like this for the rest of my life" thing is classic out of control emotions stimulant comedown. You will be fine soon man, it's easier to say than do I Know too well but really try not too worry.

Good luck man.

Should be ok listen to your doc I have done allot of coke and had the same happen to me years ago. Good diet few nights sleep should help