• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Strongest muscle relaxant: Clonazepam vs Diazepam

Okay so "selective" was a bit vague. Yes it is used for insomnia. Asked several doctors this question. A3 modulation is mostly anxiolytic, otherwise weekly active as a muscle relaxant and anti-epileptic, weakly reinforcing....

Having a "schedule" of rotating drugs of overlapping actions does not work. If you say it does, well that won't change the viewpoint of myself and other learned psychopharm experts on this site....

Klonopin is very useful for about any benzo indication. It's something like Xanax, which is meant to be a daytime anxiolytic, that doesn't readily make people sleepy at decent doses.

Did some research. Seems Klonopin is most effective for disorders in sleep. But it's an all-around medication, so for instance if someone has a lot fo anxiety when the lights are turned out, Klonopin can help that and also provide sedation. Similar deal with strained muscles.

Among BZDs, clonazepam (optional), midazolam (optional) and estazolam (optional) can be used. The other BZDs are not recommended.

anxiolytic benzodiazepines that are not approved for insomnia (alprazolam, clonazepam, lorazepam, diazepam) are prescribed off-label for this purpose

Clonazepam (Klonopin) is highly effective in the treatment of REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD), relieving symptoms in nearly 90% of patients with little evidence of tolerance or abuse.

Clonazepam is suggested for the treatment of RBD

This study provides evidence of important objective effects of clonazepam on NREM sleep in RBD

Clonazepam reduced vigorous verbal and motor behaviors, with two thirds of patients free from sleep-related injuries.

Speaking only for myself, maybe it's placebo, but clonazepam has enough going on to keep me from really noticing the diazepam break I am on.
Feeling is subjective, but clonazepam "feels" completely different then diazepam. I hear it even tastes diffferent also. ;)

To put it as un scientific as I can, Clonazepam has a heavy seaditive feel to it compared to diazepam, on a 0.5mg clonazepam / 10 mg Diazepam basis.

I like the all over the place feel diazepam has to it. Clonazepam simply sedates me heavy.

I do agree with most everything Ho-Chi-Minh said.

Last edited:
^ 0.5mg Clonazepam doesn't really co-relate to 10mg Valium; depending on response and Chronic vs Acute, it's more like 0.25-5 vs 5-10mg Clonazepam; dzp certainly is more "neutral "

What I said about rotation was really aimed more at what you ^ (that Speedking guy! Real meanie!) no seriously though, said about subunits; I find opioid rotation questionable, yet it's very much accepted (although with methadone or to a lesser extent high binding affinity Mu agonis, even oxycodone with possible Kappa involvement, are different)
Did't say I believed in it, even to the extent or way of opioid rotation, however, it isn't "wrong "; we lack the data to know. What we do know is that someone being prescribed it for a very specific reason needs a more specific type of benzodiazepine(s), on the other hand, I am open to taking a "break "
from some as said (again by, who : ) ) So I forgot to clear that up, so clarifying

Ho-Chi-Minh isn't wrong, though some of what he said was, or was worded wrong; and although highly potent, Clonazepam is known for paradoxical reactions and being less relaxing to many, so the hypnotic thing is still WTF????

That's sleep behavior disorder... although always felt it had a possible place, it's just a bit unpredictable to give freely to newcomers as a prn hypnotic

I don't tolerate high doses of Diazepam (70mg+) very well makes me very spaced out and sleepy as well as super relaxed, in my experience the longer the half life the better a muscle relaxant but everyone is different.

Dzp's T1/2 is pretty much irrelevant, though, because of its high lipid solubility and rapid redistribution from the CNS - and nordazepam (Tranxene/Clorazepate, basically) is a partial agonist

This is why Valium is typically RX'ed 3-4 per day, and also it has a rapid onset, and peak, faster than any of the common benzodiazepines

Otherwise agree, though - Dzp reminds me of ethanol, wearing off in small doses, so that actually provides another basis

Ethanol is a muscle relaxant, (as Sekio pointed out) and the only one available OTC in the US, where hydroxyzine, safer and more effective than other anti-cholinergic 1st gen antihistamines, RX only, as is robaxin

Could be wrong, though Robaxin is available in some form otc in Britain , and hydroxyzine certainly; between the UK and Canada, you have Hudroxyzine, a muscle relaxer (Robaxin formulations) promaethazine is OTC in one of them, and even codiene and hydrocodionone(or whatever) formulations - Ugh - really am derailing threads

Yeah, Valium, odd one. Getting more that it would be better for M relaxing, in people in not taking double digit Tri or Nitro benzodiazepines