• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Strongest muscle relaxant: Clonazepam vs Diazepam

AA357

Bluelighter
At the moment, diazepam is my benzo of choice. I also love temazepam. Alprazolam is good but way overrated IMO. I've never tried any of the others.
I like diazepam because it's such a broad-spectrum drug with powerful hypnotic, anxiolytic and muscle relaxant purposes.

A few people on here have told me that clonazepam is a stronger muscle relaxant than diazepam. I came close to buying some a few weeks ago but after doing some Google searching it seems more people actually find diazepam to be superior for this, so for now I'm sticking with that.
I have a friend who has epilepsy and he says that diazepam is a much stronger muscle relaxant. His words were that clonazepam is 'mostly mental', while diazepam is 'mostly physical'.

Why are there so many conflicting reports out there?

You should just try it and see if it works for you.

I have extreme chronic pain in my spine, and I can say that diazepam totally helps a bit. It's my benzo of choice as well, my anxiety arises in more physical effects than in my brain waves. Lorazepam also helps my muscle pain.

Clonazepam does absolutely nothing to my muscles, that's not to say it won't for you. I don't like it at all and it has an effect on serotonin that other benzos don't (it does the opposite of what an SSRI would do, and that causes me tons of side effects that other benzos do not).

I'd try it out if I were you to see how it affects you, without spending much money of course.

Klonopin is prescribed for seizures and stuff though, while diazepam is actually prescribed for muscle spasms much more frequently so that should be something to go by. If Klonopin was a better muscle relaxer on average, then why is diazepam known to be prescribed for muscle spasms while I've never heard of Klonopin being prescribed for that.

Klonopin is not a muscle relaxant it is an anti-anxiety medication.

I think muscle relaxants are things like Soma.

Nitrazepam is relatively potent as skeletal muscle relaxant IMO - an example of a benzo that can certainly do it, the anxiolytic benzos hardly so.
But yeah Soma seems a lot more selective for the job, though I never tried something like that.

Im currently RX'd clonazepam for my valium and Xanax addiction.

Clonazepam blows diazepam in every way imo, besides what you're looking for, the only advantage diazepam has over clonazepam is it's muscle relaxant properties.

In a Merck Index I have, published 1967, The "Medical use:" portion on Diazepam (Valium) states only "skeletal muscle relaxant"... No mention of anxiolytic, etc., but then the Merck is more to do with chemistry than medical aspects. Anyway, that matches up with my several decades of benzo experience, that indeed Valium has more muscle relaxant properties than other anxiolytic or hypnotic benzos.

The past 8 years, I am prescribed 1mg Klonopin t.i.d. Yes, all told I am (according to many) in for a catastrophic withdrawal. Anyway, Klonopin debuted as a anti-seizure medication, if I understand, and is considered by many doctors to be a preferable anxiolytic in terms of lower abuse potential, compared to something like Xanax. Indeed, for reasons I don't understand, Xanax commands a street market, whereas Klonopin does not. (No benzo has ever gotten me high -- so the whole notion of rec. benzos is foreign to me!) Anyway, Klonopin has little if any muscle relaxant properties compared to Valium, in my opinion and experience with what others report.

(Pardon the ramble -- and this compulsion to explain it. I took prescribed Ritalin, 20mg PO, the first stimulant other than caffeine in 15 years. It is working, but the comparisons to cocaine .... I cant see that at all.)

Diazepam kind of sucks, tbh. Clonazepam—whether the intended use is as a skeletal muscle relaxant, sedative or hypnotic, anxiolytic, CNS depressant, or even as a recreational drug—outstrips diazepam by a substantive margin, at least in my experienced opinion. I never got the appeal of diazepam, and the comparative unpopularity of clonazepam is even less understandable.

So, I'd be dishonest if I told you diazepam was the better muscle relaxant of the two.

^Ritalin can be fun, yes. I find however that at high dosages it is not nearly as smooth as mixed amphetamine salts (Adderall)...Ritalin feels rather dirty. However 10 - 20 mg is great for social settings or just about anything (you will feel mildly on top of the world).

Now...take 40 or 50 mg of mixed amphetamine salts (IR) you will feel like superman, but don't take 50 mgs of Ritalin IR without expecting some nasty side effects...though I must mention there will be quite a bad comedown from 50 mg Adderall IR also...just not as bad as with Ritalin.

IMO Ritalin has less abuse potential than amphetamine.

[While this topic is not at all germane or relevant to the OP, I still feel like briefly commenting on it.]

I agree about methylphenidate having a lesser abuse potential than amphetamine (especially dextroamphetamine). I find it difficult to imagine myself being able to understand how or why anyone could sincerely believe the obverse is the case.

However, having had years of experience with both Ritalin and Adderall, I would disagree about the latter having a 'smoother' or 'less dirty' high and a relatively less uncomfortable comedown than the former. The turbulence one encounters on the descent from a high dose (~80mg or so, in my opinion) of Adderall is, so to say, formidable.

I've actually taken around 150mg of (d)amphetamine today so far. My last dose was 40mg, and was taken about 2 hours ago. I don't feel 'smooth', to say the least. In fact, my eyes feel uncomfortably strained and anhydrous, my extremities are annoyingly tremulous and feel exhausted and weak, the interior of my mouth feels dry and desiccated as if I'd been destitute of water for days or had invested the last 6 hours in eating spoonfuls of salt, my movements have become lurched and stereotyped like a malfunctioning poorly-constructed android, my actions or activities have become uncoordinated and discursive, my thoughts are increasingly nervous and tweaker-esque, and so forth.

Notwithstanding all that, I could probably find your opinion agreeable if we are to limit the maximum daily amount of amphetamine to 50mg total. Perhaps such a seemingly paltry day's dose would have smoother effects than x amount of methylphenidate. But while that may be, I would still say that, after a certain point has been passed at the upper dosage levels, amphetamine becomes patently more unsmooth in effects than methylphenidate.

But I'm far too intemperate with my drug use to ever stop at only 50mg of amphetamine. I average about 180-240 mg per day, usually taking the drug in 60mg amounts every 4 hours, from the moment I awake until the moment I prepare myself for sleep (with my routine bedtime preparation, consisting of a handful or two of downers and about 350ml vodka with which to wash 'em all down, of course).

Last edited:
Clonazepam is unremarkable as a muscle relaxant. Valium has been specifically used for its skeletal muscle relaxant and sedative properties for over 50 years. For a drug so relatively old to remain such a standard, and quite suitable as a replacement for all others in its class, is rare indeed. If there could be only one benzo, it would easily be the choice.

But of course, if suffering from muscle tension or spasms, whatever you find most effective would be the best.

As recreationals, I just never understood that. But they certainly are useful tools.

clonazepam has always beaten diazepam for muscle relaxant properties, for me.

clonazepam tastes good.

It's almost cool and minty! I get it for anxiety, and sometimes let it just dissolve in mouth.

It's good that more and more doctors see it as the more reasonable benzo for anxiety. My doctor and I have discussed some of the finer points, and she brought up that she simply does not prescribe Xanax to any of her patients. Too abusable, not just in benzo-unique effects, but the short action/half-life is asking for trouble according to her.

With Klonopin I forget to even take it sometimes, though after a while it starts in with little reminders...

clonazepam has always beaten diazepam for muscle relaxant properties, for me.

Yeah. When I stated that clonazepam is "unremarkable" as a muscle relaxant, I was quoting its pharmacological profile. It had an initial use of treating seizures 40 years ago.

Anyway, the OP was which is the strongest muscle relaxant. To medical professionals, the answer is Valium. But Dilaudid has always easily beaten them both, for me. :|

Preferences change. Looking at the "Favorite 3 Drugs" (or whatever) list, some put "Adderall, Oxycodone, Xanax", yet others chose a slight variation of "Desoxyn, Opana, Seconal".

I just wish they would bring back flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) they make them so if someone put them in someone else's drink it would turn bright green now...that used to help me sleep now not even halcion (triazolam) works. I wish I could get a prescription for seconal (secobarbital) or nembutal (pentobarbital) I would be happy even with phenobarbital except it has an interaction with my methadone where it would force the methadone out of your system quickly

Anyone here try the benzo/muscle relxant halcion? Talk about being mellow.....

Ah kudos to you paulymorphone all the good barbs are outlawed or rare as fuck......halcion though was the strongest benzo i messed with.....and it was only .25 mg

Diazepam is the best Benzo for muscle spasticity/relaxant IMO.

Clonazepam may hit a little harder on the anxiety front, though there's not much in it tbh.

Clonazepam wins for me by far but valium is still nice in 30mg+

Side note about barbs - when I was 14 valium wouldn't work for me when I went to the dentist neither would xanax - not that it wouldn't work I was just trying to get high and feigned anxiety about dental work since it's rather common, point being my dentist who I've had all my life and know quote well outside of dentistry prescribed me 5 seconals and told me take one before and save the rest for any future dental work in the next year, I walked in there out of my mind Damn near drooling and he was just like so it seems it worked huh. Lol

Theres butalbital it my fioricet, but it also has caffeine and acetaminophen, plus butalbital is pretty weak. But yea even that is illegal in the UK. In the US they apparently stopped manufacturing phenobarbital and secobarbital but you can still have it filled if you find a pharmacy that has it or can order it. I went to a 5 day detox that gave out phenobarbital often for withdrawal management....little packets that each contained 1 30mg phenobarbital tablet. I had an appointment with a doctor who said "Let me see if they still make the 1000mg tablets I used to prescribe in the 80s" but something in the book must have turned him off to barbiturates...he had me on 2mg xanax 3x a day and 0.5mg halcion at night...halcion only comes in 0.125 & 0.25 tablets and because it's only meant to be given for insomnia once per day the max is 2 0.25 tablets at night or 60 0.25 tablets per month. I had to take 3mg of triazolam (12 pills) for 2 hours of sleep :-( i have major insomnia. At the time I was on 150mcg/hr of fentanyl patches too. (1 100mcg and 1 50mcg) those patches work well for pain but they make me extremely angry mean and rageful. I'm fine with things like actiq, subsys, abstral, fentora, onsolis & lazanda (well actiq will screw up your teeth) but those patches make me psycho, plus it's annoying how the patch sometimes doesn't stay on your skin for the whole 72 hours......I found the new mallinkrodt patches had the best adhesive by far.....sorry I'm going on and on I just IMed 180mg of morphine then put a 800mcg abstral under my tongue so I'm kinda chatty. I hate my ridiculously high tolerance. That would be super fatal for most people...

But yea according to most medical professionals I've spoken to, valium is the best muscle relaxer, but some people prefer soma...

Back in the 50's barbs where the thing people got hooked then came benzos so docs are very weary but i dont blame em have fun and stay safe yall each benzo valium or klonopin are nice to me

My doctor switched me from Xanax to Klonopin and I find the Klonopin works well for anxiety, but I don't take it often. I do take Temazepam every night for sleep...great medication for falling asleep and staying asleep for a decent amount of time...but I sometimes wake up and eat fruit in the middle of the night (side effect), LOL.