• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Strong Herbal Anti Inflammatory Needed!

custard

Bluelighter
i have been talking about this in the post i just made about advil breaking my stomach.. but i thought i should make a new post that is a more specific topic:

i am wondering if anyone has had any success taking an herbal capsule orally as an anti inflammatory that is as effective as ibuprofen. i can't take any more NSAIDs because my stomach is upset. i have gotten a few suggestions and examined my tiger balm label, and am looking around on the internet. these are some of them:

arnica
mint
cajeput
turmeric
ginger
boswellia
cinnamon
cloves

any experience with any of these? or something i have not mentioned? i am sleeping terribly due to severe inflammation and pain in my left shoulder, so i am hoping to find something that works sooner than later (i have read some herbal remedies can take a couple of months to take effect. i cannot wait that long.) i am also looking to try in capsule form as i need something that will last overnight. feeling desperate. thank you.

~2 gram of turmeric does the trick for me. Best mix it with black pepper to increase the bioavailability :)

Cayenne pepper - you can drink it or apply it to the general area as a paste for pain relief.

It can be good for an upset stomach and even bleeding in the stomach but please read up on this before starting to drink it. Obviously it's spicy hot so if your not used to spicy food start off small and then build up.

turmeric, cayenne pepper, chamomile tea, peppermint tea and ginger root which is my go to...all have anti inflammatory properties that work well in the stomach

thanks. does the turmeric work instantly or do you have to take it for a number of days?

deos68: do you combine all the herbs you mentioned or do you have a particular favourite? i was thinking of taking something in a capsule form because in my experience you get a very small percentage of the herb in the tea and is not very effective.

also. i don't know if any of you happen to be female but i'm wondering if these are also effective at relieving menstrual cramp pain.

High CBD cannabis capsules work well for pain and inflammation, along with helping with insomnia. This type of herbal capsule is legal here. It's not legal yet in a lot of places.

thanks, but i was addicted to pot in the past so need to steer clear of that department.

CBD is non psychoactive. You get the anti-inflammatory benefits without getting high if the CBD to THC ratio is high enough. CBD blocks the psychoactive effects of THC at a 4 to 1 ratio or higher.

Is CBD responsible for the pain relief associated w marijuana, or is that the THC?

I've only experienced a little pain relief with high THC / low CBD strains. Strains with a 1 to 1 ratio of CBD to THC worked better for me for pain after a couple surgeries in 2012. I grew Harlequin just for that reason. Harlequin gives you pain relief along with a "fuzzy" body feeling and a light high. When I tried a strain with an 18:1 ratio, I felt immediate pain relief without feeling high at all. It can be almost the same kind of pain relief you get from opiates without the dependence.

I'm not dealing with pain these days, so I prefer my high THC capsules. For sleep and for recreational use. I have a stash of Harlequin and Cannatonic capsules and tincture in case I need pain relief again.

I've only experienced a little pain relief with high THC / low CBD strains. Strains with a 1 to 1 ratio of CBD to THC worked better for me for pain after a couple surgeries in 2012. I grew Harlequin just for that reason. Harlequin gives you pain relief along with a "fuzzy" body feeling and a light high. When I tried a strain with an 18:1 ratio, I felt immediate pain relief without feeling high at all. It can be almost the same kind of pain relief you get from opiates without the dependence.

I'm not dealing with pain these days, so I prefer my high THC capsules. For sleep and for recreational use. I have a stash of Harlequin and Cannatonic capsules and tincture in case I need pain relief again.
Thanks! That makes CBd sound pretty great. I just made some coconut oil infused with a half oz of Harlequin, straight from the weed clinic as well as an oz of Trident trim and maybe a fat 1/4 of leftovers from the vaporizer. I sure hope it works great for pain and inflammation!

thanks. does the turmeric work instantly or do you have to take it for a number of days?

deos68: do you combine all the herbs you mentioned or do you have a particular favourite? i was thinking of taking something in a capsule form because in my experience you get a very small percentage of the herb in the tea and is not very effective.

also. i don't know if any of you happen to be female but i'm wondering if these are also effective at relieving menstrual cramp pain.

Turmeric is a pretty strong herb and depending on how you use it you can feel relief almost instantly.

Golden Milk

Cayenne pepper - lemon juice - ginger in a small glass and drunk.

If I have read deos68 post correctly then I would imagine combining the fresh herbs with one of the teas would be the better option - those alone without the teas are great for you.

i personally love using ginger root and even in a tea form trust me you will feel it its very potent
chamomile comes in close second
i struggle with stomach issues almost every other day and both always settle my stomach efficiently
they also sell ginger root in capsule form either on amazon or your local health food store

far as menstrual cramping and pains have you tried upping your intake of magnesium?
you can also see if the ginger tea can help or the capsule form

Or a teaspoon or 2 of mustard powder in a small container with warm water to soak your feet in

cinnamon tea works as well

my sister is a holistic nut lol

and everything i listed you can mix and match over try each one individually to see what works for you
ginger root and chamomile with some honey taste great plus itll help with anxiety if you have any

Oh and I've learned you don't make tea at full heat because yes it'll destroy many of the herb properties more like low to medium heat and let it simmer for at least 15 mins

Drinking it warm is better than letting it cool all the way for me at least

Last edited:
ok thanks.

i am having a hard time right now i am having excruciating menstrual cramps and i can't sleep.. i don't know what to take/how much.. i just caved and took an ibuprofen cause i can't take the pain

does magnesium work quickly? i took 2 caps a while ago (1000 mg) and 1 cap ginger (500) and 1 cap turmeric (500). how long do they take to take effect? i really don't want to take ibuprofen or something that will hurt my stomach but i have to work tomorrow and i can't sleep with this pain. don't know what to do. i also took willow bark about 300 mg... i don't know which of these is best for menstrual cramp. any advice really appreciated

its not instant but give it some time and report back
1000mg of mag is quite a dose it can loosen up your dookie

Yeah out of all the herbs I took nothing seemed to work, even after waiting what seemed like 30 min to an hour was still in severe pain. only the ibuprofen helped.

deos, what kind of pain have these herbs worked for? i wonder if i need to take something different for muscle pain/inflammation than for menstrual cramps which feels more like tension and pressure. i was always under the impression that inflammation was occurring in both cases, which was why ibuprofen worked for both to relieve pain.

so is it that i need to wait longer for it to kick in (more than one hour) or am i taking the wrong herb/dosage? some sources talk about taking these herbs on a regular basis long term or 1 week prior to menstruation.. i don't know how long they take for body to absorb.. if they are as efficient as a pharmaceutical and can be taken the same way. but Bearlove you mentioned that turmeric provides instant relief? just trying to figure out why none of the herbs/supplements helped and what i did wrong. it would be good to find an alternative to ibuprofen because of the stomach problems. deos do you mind asking your sister what she takes for cramps if she gets them?

Last edited:
Tumeric would be my first choice. Adding some ginger may also increase the curcumin levels which is the substance responsible for the antiinflammatory action. A good green tea supplement with high levels of EGCG (maybe 200-400mg) taken a couple of times a day is a potent antioxidant and good antiinflammatory. Adding quercetin provides more antioxidant activity and may increase EGCG bioavailability.

Since you arent sleeping well, herbs like hops, chamomile, and lavender have the added benefit of helping one sleep as well as reducing inflammation. And dont forget your fish oils. A couple grams a day of a quality supplement can really help pain and inflammation as well as providing brain and cardiovascular benefits.

It may take a few weeks to get the full benefit of all these, so dont quit after 2 days if you see no improvement.

Yeah out of all the herbs I took nothing seemed to work, even after waiting what seemed like 30 min to an hour was still in severe pain. only the ibuprofen helped.

deos, what kind of pain have these herbs worked for? i wonder if i need to take something different for muscle pain/inflammation than for menstrual cramps which feels more like tension and pressure. i was always under the impression that inflammation was occurring in both cases, which was why ibuprofen worked for both to relieve pain.

so is it that i need to wait longer for it to kick in (more than one hour) or am i taking the wrong herb/dosage? some sources talk about taking these herbs on a regular basis long term or 1 week prior to menstruation.. i don't know how long they take for body to absorb.. if they are as efficient as a pharmaceutical and can be taken the same way. but Bearlove you mentioned that turmeric provides instant relief? just trying to figure out why none of the herbs/supplements helped and what i did wrong. it would be good to find an alternative to ibuprofen because of the stomach problems. deos do you mind asking your sister what she takes for cramps if she gets them?

wow so nothing worked? hmmm like nothing at all? not even a tiny bit?
since i was a kid i always get weird random sharp stomach pains or i get a bloated feeling
i used to take OTC stuff but i somehow developed allergies to most common meds like ibuprofen etc
and well i got mixed results certain herbs would work the same day, others it did take awhile
if nothing seems to help i would keep taking ibuprofen in all honesty if it works and you dont plan of taking it for a long period of time i dont see the harm in it

if you got a few bucks to spare you can also visit a homeopathic doctor they will work with you and figure out what will work best for you if you dont wanna rely on OTC
there is some strong natural herbs out there that work better than some medications out there

i honestly dont wanna give you a dose that will harm you
ill see what the homeo doc i go to says maybe she might think of something else

Wow,Custard, I'm sorry you're still hurting. I'm suffering with PMS (sans actual period) even though I had uterus/ovaries removed 22 years ago. I have stage 4 endometriosis. Cramps have been horrific since age 11, continued past 3 surgeries and 2 rounds of chemo.

I'm in HELL right now with distention, cramps, inability to move bowels (TMI, but true). I, too, am searching for relief from extreme internal inflammation. Adhesions are binding my bowels and bladder. I've taken colon prep today with 0 results. I'm so afraid of having my bowel rupture since obstruction last Fall. Doctors/surgeons won't listen.

I saw a program on VICELAND last night called "Weediquette". It talked about the many pain patients that have migrated to CO for medical treatment with CBD/THC oils that are illegal in their home states. I was particularly interested in a young man with Crohn's, who has found relief with the ingested oils. His inflamed colon is much improved per colonoscopy, more so than years of Remicade.

Special note...This young man's parents had been told his only option was to remove his colon and perform colostomy (bag for life). I don't have Crohn's and I realize you don't either, Custard. I'm just saying this could be something worth looking into. I doubt there's access in my state, with THC in the ratio.

I'm desperate, too. This isn't living, but existing. I'm spending too much time looking for the final exit these days.

Wow,Custard, I'm sorry you're still hurting. I'm suffering with PMS (sans actual period) even though I had uterus/ovaries removed 22 years ago. I have stage 4 endometriosis. Cramps have been horrific since age 11, continued past 3 surgeries and 2 rounds of chemo.

I'm in HELL right now with distention, cramps, inability to move bowels (TMI, but true). I, too, am searching for relief from extreme internal inflammation. Adhesions are binding my bowels and bladder. I've taken colon prep today with 0 results. I'm so afraid of having my bowel rupture since obstruction last Fall. Doctors/surgeons won't listen.

I saw a program on VICELAND last night called "Weediquette". It talked about the many pain patients that have migrated to CO for medical treatment with CBD/THC oils that are illegal in their home states. I was particularly interested in a young man with Crohn's, who has found relief with the ingested oils. His inflamed colon is much improved per colonoscopy, more so than years of Remicade.

Special note...This young man's parents had been told his only option was to remove his colon and perform colostomy (bag for life). I don't have Crohn's and I realize you don't either, Custard. I'm just saying this could be something worth looking into. I doubt there's access in my state, with THC in the ratio.

I'm desperate, too. This isn't living, but existing. I'm spending too much time looking for the final exit these days.

ahh yes good old cannabis high CBD strains is like morphine without the high and without the stupid side effects
i went to colorado to visit a family member and it was a blissful week

shame not everyone has access to it if you live in a medical approved state or a rec state i would def recommend it
if you dont i def recommend this
http://cwbotanicals.com/ try the 200mg or 500mg if you have a dollars to spare... its a must try