• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Strange WD

coldone

Greenlighter
ok some history first. I have been addicted to iv heroin for 5 years and have quit 3 times never for more then a month each time was hell. This time I went onto methadone for a year and went on a super slow taper all the way down to 2mg but here is where I screwed up the last 2 weeks I went on a heroin binge and was back up to a gram a day sometimes more and screwed my whole taper I know it was super stupid. Ok now onto the weird part day before yesterday I do no opiets and wd is hell super bad the pain in my legs is always the worst for me. That night I was up all nigh kicking leg pain terrible whole 9 yards it was bad took like 5 showers that night to help with leg pain. the next day ( yesterday 8am) after being up all night I break down and do like maybe .2 heroin just enough to take WD away feel fine all day and sleep last night thank god woke up this morning in WD now this is where it gets weird. My thinking is today and last night should be just as bad as before if not worse but right now writing this at 10:30 pm I have been in WD all day but I would say its maybe half as bad if not less then it was the night before I did the .2 and leg pain is way way down. can any one think of a reason why this is like this im not complaining at all but just blows my mind

Could be a long acting opioid cut in your dope. Hard to say really

I don't usually go into really bad withdrawal until about the 36-48 hour mark....Good white dope will pretty much hold me for around a day if I do enough.....I've actually felt high for 16 hours from certain dope too..

this is what I was worried about but its been 40 hours and I only took .2 and like I said i really didn't get high just felt better. still feel about the same even now if not a little better then i felt this afternoon I still doubt I will sleep tonight because when I try to sleep the leg cramps get a lot worse for me always but I would say before I took that .2 my WD would be like a 8 on a scale of 1-10 and the leg problems maybe even a 10 I was going crazy esp after not sleeping all night but right now I would say my WD is maybe a 4. This really is blowing my mind and the whole time im expecting it to get worse any second but its not so far. I went on a super slow taper and only used H for like 2 weeks so my WD prob shouldn't have been that bad any ways I just don't understand why they where so bad before I used that little bit of dope and now they are mild. I was expecting them to be the same if not worse when it wore off

withdrawals suck....who knows why you don't feel worse than you do, who knows exactly whats going on with your internal brain/body chemistry right now....Maybe you got lucky, just take it day by day and stick with it man! You can do it, it sucks to go through, but being off the opiate merry-go-round is a great feeling....

true I just didn't know if any one has heard of any thing like this. I really want to get past it this time I know the 2 weeks of using that messed up my taper was stupid beyond stupid it had just been so long on methadone without doing an IV I did one and just went nuts I hate not having control over my actions but this time I really want to get past this I am only 23 and I really don't want this to destroy my whole life but after 5 years of heavy addiction its the only life I know I cant even remember what its like to be sober and happy any more other then when I was a kid. I will keep you guys updated on how this progresses I wish I didn't screw up my taper.

Might be best not to get back on methadone really. Just cold Turkey it for a few days instead of the long drawn out 'done withdrawals. I know a few people who switched from done back to h for a week or two then detoxed medically so it would be shorter lasting.

yea last Wednesday was my last day on methadone that was the end of my taper I wont go back on. I will go into a little more detail because even tho I cant sleep I would honestly call my WD maybe even a 2 right now this is unreal so maybe this could help some one else.

I moved to a new state a lil more then a year ago to get away from dealing and the "friends". when I came here I did a cold detox in a phoenix house and it was hell I left early and relapsed ran back home my biggest thing was not being able to sleep and depression from messed up brain chemistry from the WD made me crazy I was thinking suicide for real so I went on methadone even tho I never wanted to. I stayed on the methadone at a dose of 160 for a year let my self get use to living a "normal" life. I think this helped in a HUGE way because even now when the WD are bad my mental state is 10x better.

My taper was longer then what I have heard others here. I went down 10mg a week until I hit 50mg then I went down 5mg a week till I hit 20mg all this time feeling basically no WD some mild maybe. Then I went down by 2mg a week all the way to 0 and the WD would be mild for a few days after I went down then it would go away and I would have a few days to get ready to do it again. well the last 2 weeks I started to use H first week maybe 3 times the second week every day and then few days after I stopped the done completely.

Last edited:
Phoenix house... last time I heard of those is when I was in the Cleveland area (though I'm sure they're in other parts)
I have confidence that you can get through this. I fucked up my sub taper and went back on h for three months hardcore before going to rehab. Just stay focused on what your goals are and remember that 48hrs is pretty much peak withdrawals point. You got this man.

yea that place sucks for what you pay the food is trash not like your eating any ways you pay a boat load of money to share a room with some one and a low dose of benzo and loperamaid I really see no benefit of detoxing in a place like that at least that was my experience with it

this is what I was worried about but its been 40 hours and I only took .2 and like I said i really didn't get high just felt better. still feel about the same even now if not a little better then i felt this afternoon I still doubt I will sleep tonight because when I try to sleep the leg cramps get a lot worse for me always but I would say before I took that .2 my WD would be like a 8 on a scale of 1-10 and the leg problems maybe even a 10 I was going crazy esp after not sleeping all night but right now I would say my WD is maybe a 4. This really is blowing my mind and the whole time im expecting it to get worse any second but its not so far. I went on a super slow taper and only used H for like 2 weeks so my WD prob shouldn't have been that bad any ways I just don't understand why they where so bad before I used that little bit of dope and now they are mild. I was expecting them to be the same if not worse when it wore off

I think the leg pain was mostly methadone w/d, and since you've been off methadone a little while (you have right?) your adjusting from horrible meth w/d and going into medium dope w/d. it's going to get easier every day, switchng to dope might have even been a good thing because dope withdrawl is a lot easier than methadone w/d,

I have something similar when I detox using Buprenorphine... They taper me, and I'm fine the first day off. Then, come day two, I'm in horrible WDs.... So bad one rehab gave me a dose of Suboxone. I took it, and one the next day, then refused it on the third day. Felt right as rain. Same thing happened to me in detox... but a snowstorm hit and the only doctor there was an old guy who had kicked H by himself in a dirty apartment in the 1970s. So, he figured I was lucky I had the Sub taper at all (ironically, I was at detox to get off a 100-300mg a day IV Oxycodone habit I had taken up to get off of a 12mg IV Subutex habit... at one point I was on more Subutex than I had been in the 'real' world, granted, it was sublingual, not IV). The Sub detox actually got me rehooked on Subs I think... I made it five days, and then got kicked out 18 hours for fraternization (at the place I was at, this meant I was talking to a girl standing 3 feet away from me while we smoked a cigarette). When I got home, my late-fiance gave me 4mg of Subutex and I IV'ed it. It was like the first time I had IV'ed a Suboxone.... such a rush. Then, I felt fine the next day... physically at least (as well as I ever feel physically).

It makes perfect sense you felt fine after dosing suboxone via any ROA due to it's long half life. An 8mg suboxone can hold me for numerous days.

It's different for everybody.....It's different from time to time and it changes over the years.....Nobody can really give anyone else anything but a rough idea of what they might go through....

My worst withdrawals don't even start until the 4th day at this point....Chalk that to another thing that annoys the shit out of me, when people say that heroin withdrawal only lasts 5 days and peaks at 48 hours..I used to be pretty much over the WDs in 5-6 days the first 3 years or so I used H. Now it takes me 9-10 days...Who knows what I'll go through when I come off of suboxone this time. I'm sure it won't be what I expect. I used to base everything off of what I read and what I'd gone through myself but I gave up on that awhile ago....

I remember being on methadone and seeing people get split doses because one dose wasn't enough to hold them 24 hours.....Personally, I used to think it was bullshit because 60+ mgs of methadone will hold me for 36 hours, but now I pretty much know that it's actually true for some people....I still think some people are lying to get more methadone, or convincing themselves they're sick when they're not, but hey....

any detox that only give you loperamide and benzos sucks!

The Phoenix house I went to used a REAL opiate detox protocol....

A five day methadone taper with...

Clonidine

Hydoxyzine

Bentyl

Ibuprofen

Loperamide upon request....

and Librium or trazodone to help you sleep....

Some places have a suboxone protocol that they use now, but a lot of places have been skimping like crazy on opiate detox meds because of the economy or whatever....

another thing that annoys the shit out of me: when people working in detoxes or rehabs say...."Alcohol and benzo withdrawal will actually kill you, opiate withdrawal will only make you wish you were dead!"

Fuckin assholes!