View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Strange sensations on magic mushrooms

MissBlue12

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I am new to this board so please pardon any mistakes made. I am sharing a story from the past and asking some questions in hopes of gaining clarity on the issue! Thank you in advanced for taking time to read this. I am not asking for any advice on taking the substances, rather trying to enlighten myself/understand what is going on and if there are ways to cope with this particular problem.

I have always been a solo adventurer, meaning i very rarily trip with people. I occasionally hang with my bestfriend when taking an unknown subatances for safety reasons only, but for the most part im good on my own.

One night long long ago, I decided to take 3 grams of shrooms by myself expecting a great time like i always have had in the past during my occasional adventures. However, this night took a turn for the worst. For some reason, when i closed my eyes I saw faces and it freaked me out. I somewhat understand why this happens, but thats not even the best part. I was sitting in my basement watching archer having a blast when all of the suddeny brain was refistering everything as upside down and backwards...literally. This was absolutely terrifying, so I decided to get up and go get some fresh air. It was when i stood up that for some reason my feet felt like hands. I really don't know how else to describe it, so bear with me please. I felt a complete sense of loss and confusion, overall resulting in my first horrific trip. I had a complete loss of self, forgot who I was, where I was, what I was doing here...almost like I was trying to recall information that to be honest, is probably not even there in the first place. Has anyone ever experienced something like this? What are some good coping mechanisms that are helpful when dealing with these terrifying things? Please share! Thank you!

Mushrooms and LSD normally have a smooth curve of effects, and people generally think that salvia is much different, but in some ways you can learn a lot from studying salvia reports and the S=A=L=V=I=A scale of psychedelic intoxication.
bascially it describes increasingly resonant states of mind that begin with
Subtle effects
Altered sense of being
Light visual enhancement
Visual phantasia
Immaterial (altered body sensations - like you had, or some people become the wall or the couch etc.)
Amnesia (blackouts)

each state contributing one of the letters to spell out salvia.

the strongest doses make you black out, stuff will happen that you cannot remember.
this also happens on mushroom and lsd, but it very often happens on salvia videos, it is so easy to take too much.
along the way to amnesia and back is the immaterial state that you had a big taste of using a strong dose of mushrooms.
along the way to immaterial and back is the Visionary state (where visual and or audio hallucinations happen) this is the target state for most psychedelics
along the way to Visionary is the light visual enhancement state ( I like this one quite a bit)
prior to that is altered and at the lowest micro doses it is Subtle.

I hope this helps you understand that yours was a normal immaterial experience

If you are utterly at a loss, I'm not sure if there are good strategies that you can use yourself reliably because you may very well have forgotten about it if you are so confused. It would take a tripsitter to help guide you and remind you that everything is okay. It's not even that important that you always know who you are, if you know that everything is safe and okay it can be enough to just go through the experience with enough faith that it will turn out alright, whatever normal state of mind it is that you came from and will eventually return to.

Yeah seeing faces is a common theme and especially with mushrooms. I theorize that it is because of ancient face recognition programmed in the brain that gets stimulated and just starts randomly generating visions of faces. Eyes, and just generally seeing beings and many more themes are common on psychedelics but for some reason most of all with mushrooms, DMT and 4-HO-DMT or 4-AcO-DMT. At least in my experience and from what I read about other people's experiences.

I've felt completely devastated and lost on mushrooms many times, just alone in my dorm room years ago. Much later I pretty much decided that I don't work well with mushrooms, or they don't work well with me... and other psychedelics are much better options for me. It varies between people - more than a preference it probably has to do with how you're wired. I am not saying that getting a fearful and dissociated episode sometimes on mushroom means that you aren't the 'mushroom type'. They generally have quite a reputation for mindfuckery.

Don't know about all of what pupnik said there, or even if you took too much. Mushrooms vary in potency being natural products but 3 g is not an unreasonable dose. But particularly unusual states of consciousness can sometimes just occur - especially at higher doses though that is right - like out of body experiences or severe dissociation. Even fugue states involving a form of amnesia. It's part of the territory. A good set and setting can help maximalize the chances of things heading a positive direction, but when you just lose too much direct awareness or comprehension of what's going on, with ego softening and issues with sense of space and time then it is quite normal to go into crisis because we are wired to be defensive about our existence being threatened or losing control. In actuality, you won't die or go crazy, but it can still be extremely terrifying to make such a leap of faith, let alone when you have no choice in the matter and are just stripped of your sense of self.

Last edited:
What are some good coping mechanisms that are helpful when dealing with these terrifying things? Please share! Thank you!

Do less, have fun! Mushrooms are high anxiety for a lot of people. I would really look into the legal RC, 4-HO-MET. Always approach your tolerance gradually. In this case, 5mg is a good, safe place to start.

One time on 4.5 g I didn't know who I was or who anyone was or what anything was and thought I would have to relearn how to live. A general sense of confusion and paranoia and my gf eventually gave me xanax, even though at first I thought she was poisoning me, and I fell asleep