• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Strange negative codeine interaction with tea/coffee (tannins??)

Aqlis

Discord Admin; Peas & Pasta Czar
Staff member
So, for the past year I've been a very frequent codeine user, always 240mg a day now on days I use. Worth mentioning the codeine I use is OTC polish Thiocodin (15mg codeine, 300mg sulfogaiacol). When I had more money and less sense i would regularly use a daily dose of 480, 720 or even 840mg once.

Back earlier this year (between say Jan-May) I used to be able to drink many teas and coffees on codeine, and they would add to the experience between caffeine, sugar and whatever else you got in there. BUT. Nowadays, if I so much as have half a weak coffee and ingest codeine (basically no matter what order they're in), I am sent into a deep depressive pit for the day that almost nothing can get me out of. Like way worse depression than my baseline, all I can think about is how much I hate myself and so forth.

This applies to green tea, black tea, even some weird herbal teas that shouldn't contain caffeine. I've experimented with all kinds of sodas, energy drinks etc and they all work as you'd expect, perfectly well, no complaints except mby some anxiety. So caffeine is not the problem. What gives?! Anyone ever experience something like this or have an explanation? I theorised maybe tannins are to blame but so far it's just conjecture. Perhaps Tannins fuck with the codeine or sulfogaiacol? When I refrain from these drinks my high goes as expected, many good times had for the most part with the occasionl stinker, in which case a small supplementation of a few drops of black seed oil seems to restore it to a good high.

It's pretty much impossible to say, sadly. We don't really know what's in this tea and to actually figure that out would require testing and such. There are herbs that can inhibit/induce enzymes in the body, though these are all going to be fairly weak in this regard. A hypothesized ~10% reduction in bioavailability of your Codeine is not at all an explanation for the extreme depression that you're describing here.

I'd just avoid the tea man. Something in it is obviously not agreeing with you.

It's pretty much impossible to say, sadly. We don't really know what's in this tea and to actually figure that out would require testing and such. There are herbs that can inhibit/induce enzymes in the body, though these are all going to be fairly weak in this regard. A hypothesized ~10% reduction in bioavailability of your Codeine is not at all an explanation for the extreme depression that you're describing here.

I'd just avoid the tea man. Something in it is obviously not agreeing with you.
Agreed, that's what I've been doing. Though oddly it's not really just one kind of tea but any kind of tea or coffee I ingest on codeine. I guess it's gonna remain a mystery for the ages. I'll enjoy my (totally not sponsored btw) Seth & Riley's Garage ENERGY YUZU & MINT BEER DRINK with CAFFEINE instead :ROFLMAO:. All jokes aside it's the only energy drink i've found that both makes me stmmed enough to warrant buying but without making me an extremely jittery and anxious mess.

Last edited: