• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

Strange MDA Test Results with Simon's Reagent

KellyWatchTheStars

Greenlighter
I received today, some "supposed" MDA. I say supposed because when I tested it with the Simon's reagent, I got a strange color result that I can't find any information on.

I first tested the MDA with Marquis reagent, and it fizzed straight to black. I also tested two different batches of MDMA with Marquis and they both fizzed straight to black. I then tested the two MDMA batches with Simon's and they turned a nice cobalt blue, as they should have.

But when I tested the MDA with the Simon's I was expecting there to be no reaction, which would indicate the presence of MDA. Instead, the color changed to a dark muddled grayish/green color.

Here is a picture of my reactions:

N4nAXJA.jpg

And here is a the picture of the MDA.

FTTGcec.jpg

Can anyone give me any insight as to what might have happened? I know my test kits aren't contaminated or expired as I just opened them brand new from the box yesterday. I also made sure to use them in the correct order, and the fact that the MDMA tested as it was supposed to tells me that it isn't the reagents that are the issue here.

Last edited:
Welcome to BL!
I am not sure but I don´t think we can talk about testing drugs.
You will receive a proper answer very soon. Maybe it´s okay.
You joined BL in 2010, noticed this is your first post (?)
All the best,
E.

I'm confused, I thought I was posting in the Pill Testing Q&A forum. Would that not be the appropriate forum to post something like this in? I'm sorry if I broke any rules by posting this.

And thanks. Yeah I made an account here back in 2010 but I am more of a lurker. I've posted this question on another forum that I frequent and wasn't able to get much insight, so I thought I would post my results here since you guys have a forum dedicated to testing in hopes that I might get some more informative responses.

Pill testing questions are allowed in this section, so I think questions about MDA crystal testing shouldn't be a problem either. Simons should indeed not react to MDA, so that discoloration will be because of impurities. If those impurities are active I don't know, but the reaction is so faint I think it will be just trace amounts of whatever is causing it. Do you have other reagents apart from simons and marquis? Testing it with all available reagents would be ideal

See here for a comprehensive summary of reaction colours

By the way, is that a sheet of paper you did the test on?

Last edited:
I have Marquis, Mecke, Mandelin and Simon's reagents. I tested the MDA with all 4 reagents and the results were concurrent with the color spectrum which would indicate a MDxx compound, except for the Simon's reagent.

And yes, it is a sheet of paper. I did two prior tests on a white pyrex plate which yielded the same color results. I decided to test a third time on the sheet of white paper, just for the hell of it to see if it would make any difference, but the color results were still the same. My reasoning for doing that is because on DanceSafe where I purchased the kit, the instructions said to use a white ceramic plate. I don't have any plates made of ceramic, so I thought that the pyrex might have skewed my results somehow. I guess it isn't so much the type of surface that is important, but rather having a white background, since my results were the same on both the pyrex and the white paper.

I should also mention that I have some methoxetamine that I tested with the Simon's. There should have not been any color reaction, but there was. The methoxetamine turned a pale pinkish reddish color. So I'm thinking that maybe my Simon's reagent somehow got contaminated, which seems highly unlikely though, given that I just got it this week brand new, and that MDA and MDMA were literally the first two things that I tested with it.

Sorry to bump, but I did the same tests you did on a batch of supposed MDA that looked identical to yours. And the Simon results were dark green yellow.

Have yet to test a MDMA sample to compare though.

Did you conclude that it mightve been contaminated reagent? Or impurities of the MDA?

A wide range of impurities could cause this reaction. Give the the good Marquis result I would not be overly concerned.