Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Strange Effects On the Nerves (?) From Ketamine Abuse

Rastahund

Bluelighter
Hi everyone,

I've been having some pretty strange effects after a year of heavy ketamine abuse (I know, I need to stop obviously... I've started therapy for it and am in the process of tapering off for psychological... not physical... reasons). But I've started to feel these bizarre sensations in what I think are my nerves, all over my body. I still feel the sensations when I'm not on ketamine but it's way worse when I've started taking bumps. The sensations feel like icy-hot tingles all over my body but mostly in the base of my neck and spine. Sometimes it will feel like burning or sometimes it will feel like something wet is on my leg that I'm trying to brush off, but it's actually dry. If I rest my foot on a surface for too long, it will go numb and prickly. And also, when I get cold at all, I get really intense chills through my whole body that feel kind of clammy. Even right now as I type, I feel the cold sensations in my fingers.
On a different note, I have had a vitamin D deficiency for many years that I never took care of. I've started supplementing 2000 IU of vitamin D3 and also started an occasional magnesium supplement in case it's some kind of weird magnesium deficiency effects due to ketamine being known to deplete it.
My nose and sinuses are pretty severely damaged from all the ketamine and also the nerves in the top of my teeth. Sometimes my upper gums bleed... could that have something to do with it?

Has anyone experienced this?
Whenever I try to research it, there's not article on the internet of any similar accounts so it also makes me wonder if it's not the ketamine at all.

Last edited:
Feeling burning sensations or fluids on your skin which arent there would be cenesthesia.

But if at all you're lacking a vitamine it sounds like vitamine b12.

Sorry if I cant give you a decent answer i just wrote what i thought about your post.

I have never experienced this but i have read about something similar with other NMDA antagonists, and since ketamine is one hell of a potent NMDA antagonist, its not surprising that this is happening, its most likely just your body bringing your levels of NMDA back to equilibrium (This is a very basic description of what is actually happening obviously)

Thanks for the responses! I've figured out a little more about it because my mom is a nurse and I decided to just be honest and tell her what was going on.

I forget to eat often times while I'm doing ketamine so she thinks I've developed Parasthesia due to a variety of vitamin and mineral deficiencies. She says it's probably Vitamin B12 and calcium deficiencies that are causing the nerve dysfunction.

We just ordered blood tests so I'm going to go get that done and see if that's the issue. Maybe it had nothing to do with the ketamine at all, and the ketamine was just agitating that feeling.

Though I would like to read more about NMDA... I do know that it's an NMDA antagonist but I don't know much about how it works in the brain other than the fact that in inhibits the receptors.

Last edited:
I feel like dissos fuck up my teeth and gums with regular use. I'm not sure what's going on there, but if I understand correctly NMDA antagonists cause blocking of the magnesium channels, which would cause calcium problem, which I imagine would lead to all sorts of nerve, bone, and teeth problems.. Just speculating though.

Feeling burning sensations or fluids on your skin which arent there would be cenesthesia.

But if at all you're lacking a vitamine it sounds like vitamine b12.

Sorry if I cant give you a decent answer i just wrote what i thought about your post.

nice post. was thinking b12 too.

OP, I too have prickly, burning, tingling skin. Had it for about a year and a half now. I got mine from stopping a different drug that I was on for psych reasons. I would consider it a sign that your brain is going through some changes/adaptations and I wouldn't say very good ones. For me, it seems to be here to stay, but maybe it will go away idk, but its been like this for a long time for me. I kinda got brain damage (or something) from what I was taking. Just a waiting game mostly.

I think you're right, Bluuberry. That's exactly what's happening. Day two on a calcium supplement and I have had very, very minor feelings but they are mostly gone.

jammin83, that sounds terrible! Was it a pharmaceutical? Have you had any tests done, or are you just waiting it out? Maybe it could be something simple like a vitamin deficiency for you too. I thought something terrible was wrong with me when this first started only to find out that there are consequences for not taking care of your body while ingesting drugs (duh) but that vitamin/mineral deficiency is such a simple fix to a major-feeling problem.

You may need magnesium more than calcium. Magnesium is not as abundant as calcium in most peoples diet, and we need a particular ratio of magnesium : calcium. Also from what I understand, using NMDA antagonists especially depletes magnesium stores in the body. Not trying to give health advice but it's worth looking into. Glad you're starting to feel better!

I do agree that I need magnesium but the supplements give me diarrhea. It's no fun. I have also heard that NMDA antagonists deplete magnesium more than other psycho-actives do.

You must be taking the citrate form.
Magnesium deficiency can actually be deadly so it's a great thing to take. Many people are deficient in it bc of the way things are farmed.

You need a chelated form like bisglycinate. If you get the runs, you are taking too much. The oils and lotions are good options too. Its actually absorbed better through the skin.

To answer your question OP, I looked into vitamin deficincies, etc, I think that's a pretty natural response. But nope, just the droogz. Dang. Just a waiting game. Been 19 months. Still have tingling burning skin.

B12 and magnesium can't hurt tho.