Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Strange Chants while tripping

aenimaxoxo

Greenlighter
Hello Bluelighters,

I have a curiosity about something that happens during every psychedelic trip I take. At some point in every trip, I will start hearing these strange chants in my head, that are nonsensical to me. They feel very dark when they occur and it takes a good bit of willpower to push them from my mind's eye. They sound almost like strange mantras, but they feel so nasty.

They are about 3-4 words long, and the first one for me is bliesterino and its followed by others. Images pop up of nasty, virulent things such as blisters, gaseous clouds, and nasty smells like sulfury farts. The reason they freak me out is because the first time I ever tripped on LSD, they became very prominent. There was a moment of ego death, followed by a grief overload and repeated chanting of the phrase in my head. This occurred after a strong peak, during a comedown.

On Mescaline, the phrases occurred to me near the end as well, and made for a very anxious comedown. I had the strange idea in my head that it was caused by something linked to the house my father lives in (it used to be very haunted when I was young and lived there). The images associated with the bliesterino phrase this time were of chemicals, and accompanied by visuals of famine, death and plague in Africa.

On mushrooms, the phrase popped into my head for a second, then never re-emerged.

I know this sounds strange - but I doubt it has anything to do with schizophrenia or psychosis. I am perfectly fine, if not a little bit eccentric in my normal day to day persona.

any insight into the matter would be appreciated

They're probably just the associations in your mind nearest to the sensations of (ego)death or maybe fear (are you apprehensive at these times?). Sort of like memory recall and thought-word links. Like your brain is a map of your experience here, and walking along at those points your scenery is like swamp and bog? Just my guess.

Try making new associations there. Build a meadow or a city.

Also, when I'm really tripped out, I often mumble strange chants and move almost ritualistically, like dancing almost, except as if I were controlled or bowing. Or maybe just intent.

My friend gets voices in his head, he says he drinks whiskey for it, he says it doesn't stop the voices but at least it gets them singing :)

But on a more serious note, I have experienced weird chanting before, and not even as a result of taking psychedelics, we once rented a house that has something very strange about it, it only happened a few times but we would wake up in the middle of the night and could hear this strange chanting happening like gregorian monks or something, which is strange because it was a house in a small australian mountain town.

We never got to bottom of it and we soon moved out of the place, the only thing I felt about what was causing it was that it had something to do with a past occupant of the house and had nothing to do with us (like repressed personal memory or past life stuff).

But if it only happens to you on psychedelics then it's hard to say what's going on, does it happen wherever you trip, or do you always have it happen in the same place ?

Last edited:
Kinda off topic but the title of the thread reminded me of this part of drug inc I watched the other night about hallucinogens
I've never seen anything like this, it's pretty awesome

Watch from about 9:20 on, she is about to feel the effects from her first time doing ayahuasca
Talk about strange chants

like sulfury farts. The reason they freak me out is because the first time I ever tripped on LSD, they became very prominent. There was a moment of ego death, followed by a grief overload and repeated chanting of the phrase in my head. This occurred after a strong peak, during a comedown.

You will have heard them the first time you tripped and now whenever your mind is back in the same space you will feel it again. If you trip regularly enough you won't get them anymore because you'll move onto thinking about other things.

I used to get the unpleasant thoughts the first couple of times I took high dose acid - I used to get the image of a group of hairy-arsed people on job seekers allowance in stained tracksuit bottoms wiping their finger across their arse and then sniffing it and saying something strange like "Oh jemima" after they'd sniffed.

On Mescaline, the phrases occurred to me near the end as well, and made for a very anxious comedown.

Was this cactus? Very strange that mescaline would create anxiety in anyone. It's the gentlest psychedelic there is - even when peaking it's comfortable.

Last edited:
I used to get the image of a group of hairy-arsed people on job seekers allowance in stained tracksuit bottoms wiping their finger across their arse and then sniffing it and saying something strange like "Oh jemima" after they'd sniffed.

This is not an imaginary thing, that's what people on job seekers allowance actually do :)

They're probably just the associations in your mind nearest to the sensations of (ego)death or maybe fear (are you apprehensive at these times?). Sort of like memory recall and thought-word links. Like your brain is a map of your experience here, and walking along at those points your scenery is like swamp and bog? Just my guess.

Try making new associations there. Build a meadow or a city.

Also, when I'm really tripped out, I often mumble strange chants and move almost ritualistically, like dancing almost, except as if I were controlled or bowing. Or maybe just intent.

I tend to get a ritualistic feeling and see people and things are archetypes and concepts rather than people. For example, last time I was on mushrooms my girlfriend ceased to be my girlfriend and at one point became my mother, and then eros. I was blown away by the power of feminine energy, yet perplexed at their inability to control their own power of eros.

We never got to bottom of it and we soon moved out of the place, the only thing I felt about what was causing it was that it had something to do with a past occupant of the house and had nothing to do with us (like repressed personal memory or past life stuff).

But if it only happens to you on psychedelics then it's hard to say what's going on, does it happen wherever you trip, or do you always have it happen in the same place ?

I get them on psychedelics in a variety of different environments. The strongest effect was high dose lsd.
During mescaline (peruvian torch cactus) I felt like it was recalled to my fathers house, which was very haunted
when he first bought it (I was about 8 years old). I would regularly see the shadows moving around during the night,
but as I got older the ghost sights died down. When I returned to my fathers house on Mescaline, I had without a doubt
the craziest experience of my life. As I lay on the bed in my fathers computer room, I kept asking whatever it was to leave my body.

I was about 13 hours in, and figured my trip had mostly died down.At the time, I could not smoke pot because it would give me raging panic attacks.
I think the panic attacks were due to a neuroses formed from abusing JWH 018 in the past. When I smoked during the end of my trip, I felt like my
head was about to pop from high blood pressure and went to lay down to calm myself.

I was certain that the strange phrases had an origin at his house. When I asked it to leave, I got a visual in my mind's eye of my dieing. My soul
fell through the ground, and everything turned black and white in my mind. I thought I had died, because I had recently learned before the trip
that the more colorful a mind is, the better it is functioning. I likened the black and white effect to being braindead.

Suddenly, I felt a rushing sensation I could only compare to
the feeling of 1 toke of DMT. I found myself in an experience setting, in a colloseum of sorts, where I was confronted with a large audience of Titan sized
dieties. The main one was a blue colored psilocybe cyanescens wavy cap mushroom. Its gills were producing a lot of light, and
it's entire body was glowing. It reminded me that I could leave the human world whenever I pleased, but I declined its offer, citing
that I have a lot left to do in our human world.

Since then, it has only had a very small presence during my trips.

Kinda off topic but the title of the thread reminded me of this part of drug inc I watched the other night about hallucinogens

Watch from about 9:20 on, she is about to feel the effects from her first time doing ayahuasca

I've seen that show, good episode. I think hers are a bit more like communication through singing. A lot of DMT literature writes
about how people communicate through singing during trips to interact with other deities, like elves and aliens.

Thanks for the link :)

You will have heard them the first time you tripped and now whenever your mind is back in the same space you will feel it again. If you trip regularly enough you won't get them anymore because you'll move onto thinking about other things.

I used to get the unpleasant thoughts the first couple of times I took high dose acid - I used to get the image of a group of hairy-arsed people on job seekers allowance in stained tracksuit bottoms wiping their finger across their arse and then sniffing it and saying something strange like "Oh jemima" after they'd sniffed.

On Mescaline, the phrases occurred to me near the end as well, and made for a very anxious comedown.

Was this cactus? Very strange that mescaline would create anxiety in anyone. It's the gentlest psychedelic there is - even when peaking it's comfortable.

It's nice to see that other people have occurences as strange as mine. They are always linked to things I feel are disgusting -
like swamp bogs, poop, farts, peeling skin, cuts, infection, disease, etc.

The cactus was Peruvian Torch, and I ate around 35 grams of the powder, which should equal out to roughly 300mg of mescaline.
When taking it alone, the trip felt like a strong strong strong mushroom trip. I would also say it is my most powerful trip to date.

this has happened to me, but only when I get really high on cannabis. One time when I ate too many potent brownies, and one time when I took a fat dab of bho right after we made it (i think there was still butane in it). It's always the same reccurring chant, and it has a very creepy vibe to it. Last time it happened, I got this strange feeling that the chant was telling me I was too high and unworthy of being that high. Weird lol

That's interesting, I had experienced chanting and strange images on a very high dose of JWH-??? before. Perhaps this is a side effect from the abuse you were talking about?

That's interesting, I had experienced chanting and strange images on a very high dose of JWH-??? before. Perhaps this is a side effect from the abuse you were talking about?

This started about a year before I did JWH 018. When I was doing JWH, I started getting panic attacks, and they carried over to weed as well.

I think I've encountered what you're referring to. Do you also feel the compulsion to enunciate these neologisms (like "bliesterino")? Check out my old thread on psychedelic glossolalia and see if it rings any bells. There's something interesting happening, but it's really elusive. In the mean time pursue these sensations and lines of thought as they occur with a voice recorder (many mp3 players have the function) and see if the results mean anything more to you than they may at first seem to.

Last edited:

I'm surprised that no one else has said it, but this was a terrible documentary filled with misinformation especially regarding Ayahuasca (banisteriopsis caapi contains DMT, does it?). The supersized African-American woman was just looking for attention in the morning, please don't tell me that you guys bought the whole 24-hour-trip thing.

Ayahuasca has a similar duration to mushrooms, which is to say 4-6 hours (without redosing)... Speaking of mushrooms, did anyone else find it laughable that the guy who treats his cluster headaches with psilocybin was reacting in such a way before taking a low dose of cubensis? LOL. And his freaking family and their "worry".

And let's not even get into the story about the cop and his 10000 hits of LSD.

I haven't watched the other documentaries in the series because I imagine that they'd be as poor as the hallucinogens one.

It's cool that the overall tone of the documentary was more positive toward the use of hallucinogens for medicinal purposes, but they could have found far more experienced practitioners and done a hell of a lot more research.

Sorry, but this documentary is terrible.

To the OP, when you get those unpleasant thoughts you could try to sing some simple melody you like until your mind has drifted onto something else. And if it come back, sing again. It's quite interesting to see the effects of your chants on your psychedelia.

I find the melody of icaros easy to remeber and pleasant to sing under the influence. I also like the paragate mantra

Thought I'd contribute my own experiences with this. Often when I trip, particularly with 4-AcO-DMT or n,n-DMT, I find I hear these nonsensical voices in my head, it sounds like I'm replaying a clip of my parents saying something to me as a kid, and the word always brings up very negative thoughts - but yet I can never understand it, I can't even repeat half of the word, or any of it, because it seems to be a blend of various words and incomprehensible to my mind.

It's very strange and I've always wondered if it's just a blend of memories/words stuck together, or if there's actually a word/phrase my brain is trying to remember my parents saying, that it can't pick up.

OP, your imagery reminds me of one of my first mushroom trips, perhaps it was my first bad trip. I think I had similar repeating word/sound patterns that ultimately ended up just being my body trying to tell myself that I needed to pee, burp, or fart! Psychedelic gas bubbles somehow percolate up the spine into the mind's eye while they are trying to escape the intestine!

Sorry if it seems necro, but this is a great topic, and I think it should be a perennial one, so I'm going to comment on it. In the vein of "chants" I have had the Blessing of being granted the hearing of chants when High on Cannabis, for the last three years now. I hear them and can sing along with them, and they either have words, or they have mutterings I can't understand but can pronounce, or they have just a kind of "ooh aaah" sort of voicing. They always have their own cyclical, rhythmic pattern which has, over the years, grown in complexity and charm. The original one's were a bit weirder than the present ones, more like a cryptic message. But the later one's are more interestingly colorful chants, even sounding like New Age Buddhist music or something. I took the last one and made a FruityLoops file rendition of it as it has been recurring a lot.

That is nothing new, however. In each instance, an identical chant will recur over a several week or month period, as if I were tuning in to a specific frequency rather than it being "directed" at me or coming from within me in some way, although I'm sure it is a two way street.

I feel that no matter how one tries to reduce such phenomena to the bare bones of psychophysical states of the human brain and body, or the ego and other complexes, in the end there is still a strong sense that something transcendent is involved, however it is connected to our inner workings in some integral manner. There are muses in they beyond.

But with me I am also a "soft head" since I began using Cannabis only in my 30s after only sporadic and singular experiences before then with many years in between each time. It must be said that my "chanting" experiences didn't actually begin until I used hash powder supplied in a foreign land when I was there, and which I mixed with other ingredients which seemed wise to intermix, and consumed in an oily mixture. Now it comes no matter in what form I consume. I have experiences which are profound, going all the way up the chakras, and which have salutary effects on my philosophical and spiritual life which cannot be contained by any "coming down", and which live on in my "normal" life and consciousness.

I think for some of us there are very positive spiritual effects in Cannabis, and beautiful chants are part of that, to be revered as a sign of spiritual progress.

As to a certain person's comment about "feeling unworthy of being so high", well you probably were unworthy, since you felt that way. Try to listen to whatever your Higher Self is telling you would make you MORE worthy, as in what to do and how to live in "normal and square" life so that Being High is not merely something your hand, mouth, stomach and lungs do for you, but something you choose to do every breath you take.

I have experienced similar accounts also. When i first started to smoke weed, a motivational voice got into my head saying things like "lets get after it" and other motivational things. My first acid trip, i felt like the acid was talking to me telling me when things would change. E.g.: heard something say next stage, then the colors got more vibrant and things got wavier. Idk if i was just tweaking or not but im going to be doing a high dosage tonight and hope to really find something.