• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Strange after effect of Nitrous use

rufojones

Bluelighter
Hey all , just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen. Last night , I was doing a bit of Nitrous with a buddy. Went home everything was normal, until I laid down to go to bed. After about 2 mins I started getting a loud ring tone in my ears. I sit up and Im hit with the very strong feeling of "ear popping" like Im in an airplane. I was able to sleep but this morning its still happening. Im not super worried , Im sure that it will go away but I thought it was interesting. Nitrous gives some strong auditory effects and Im wondering if it is caused but a physical change rather than a mental effect. It kinda feels like I have streched my eardrums out and now they are all floppy.

It's a mix of the dissociative anaesthetic effect on muscle tone and the pressurized gas causing pressure changes in the ears. Probably nothing to worry about.

Whoa, I just found this article.

Middle ear pressure measured in surgical patients has been as high as 450 mm H2O after only 15 to 20 minutes of nitrous oxide inhalation. This increase in pressure bulges the eardrum outward and complicates otologic procedures such as replacement of the tympanic membrane or closing of a perforation. Increased middle ear pressure can also contribute to postoperative pain, delirium, nausea, and vomiting. Furthermore, discontinuation of nitrous oxide brings a decrease in middle ear pressure that can displace a tympanic graft. For all these reasons, many authors suggest avoiding nitrous oxide anesthesia for surgical procedures on the middle ear: tympanoplasty, stapedectomy, ossicular repositioning, and mastoidectomy. Finally, the possible lingering presence of nitrous oxide within the middle ear makes it wise to avoid nitrous oxide for all surgical patients who have middle ear disease and abnormalities of the eustachian tube.

who knew.. I really thought that the "wa wa's" was just a head thing, not like a real thing