• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Strains for people with anxiety disorders

Bagseed

Bluelighter
Hello,

I recently stumbled across the fact that there actually are strains which may be useful for people with anxiety disorders. Blueberry was a name I came across quite often, and In general most people recommend mostly indica strains. I was recently diagnosed panic disorder and also have had derealisation and depression episodes in the last 15 months.

Now I do not want to medicate the disorder with cannabis, but rather be able to smoke some weed in the future and be fine, because in the past it was my favorite drug. I mostly smoked sativa strains before, and I do not think that these would be a good idea right now, but I've been thinking about growing some good strain for myself in the next few months. I'd love to be able to vape some bud again which I haven't had in a long time because I'm afraid to have a panic attack while under the influence...

I'm looking for people with similar problems and if there is anyone here with an anxiety disorder who uses weed successfully.

greets

My top recommendation would be Jack Herer, it has pronounced anxiety/paranoia-negating effects that are rare. Blueberry is pretty nice, but as with a lot of the heavy indicas if you toke it heavily you'll find the threshold where it creates anxiety. Hashplant is a nice choice for a low-anxiety heavy-hitter as well, but I still feel like you will be hard-pressed to find a better match than Jack for this purpose.

Funny this should pop up. I recently heard that Kosher Kush was amazing for panic disorder and was going to ask about it here.

I am a big fan of Blueberry but you're right that if you smoke too much it starts creating anxiety. My technique was always to wait 5-10 minutes between each hit but I found anything over 3 to be too much for me.

Jack Herer sounds like something that would be right up my alley. Odd for a sativa to be good for anxiety though but I looked it up and its got one of the highest anxiety scores I've ever seen. There are some local dispensaries that stock it too. Hmm.

Blue Dream is another great one for anxiety. I was quite fond of it but the dispensary only had a little bit so I smoked Blueberry most of the time.

I suffer with anxiety and I have never tried it, but I read that Strawberry Cough was the only strain actually designed for anxiety, I know a guy who is a very experienced grower and I may get him to grow me some to try.

Personally, this is just me but AK-47 is the strain for me when I'm having bad anxiety, that coupled with Xanax... mmmm it's my favorite.

I suffer with anxiety and I have never tried it, but I read that Strawberry Cough was the only strain actually designed for anxiety, I know a guy who is a very experienced grower and I may get him to grow me some to try.

Careful. I ended up in a 4 hour panic attack from smoking a joint of Strawberry Cough. Another case of smoking too much leading to a panic attack but it was much worse than a Blueberry anxiety reaction.

Keep in mind that theres a minority of people who get anxiety, paranoia, or other undesirable effects from indica strains. Whenever I got my own weed, it had to be sativa. I cant stand indica by itself, Ill only take a few hits and be good because too much just makes me insanely uncomfortable.

OP: You say you mostly smoke sativas, if indicas are a deal breaker then try some hybrids.

Keep in mind that theres a minority of people who get anxiety, paranoia, or other undesirable effects from indica strains. Whenever I got my own weed, it had to be sativa. I cant stand indica by itself, Ill only take a few hits and be good because too much just makes me insanely uncomfortable.

OP: You say you mostly smoke sativas, if indicas are a deal breaker then try some hybrids.
I am the exact opposite of this and get way more paranoia of sativa and most of the people I know are the same way as me.

Strawberry Cough wouldn't be the strain I would pick either..

Last edited:
thanks for the replies!

Seyer: yeah in the past I smoked mostly sativa weed, because that's what I got here (there is no such thing as a dispensary here in Austria), but that's what got me thinking about trying pure Indica strains. Anyway, the project won't be up for a couple months because I have to grow it myself if I want to know the strain.

I know a group of growers who are doing some amazing crossbreeding to produce extremely high CBD content strains. I'll try to find out the names of the buds they would recommend for people with anxiety (the high CBD strains) and then you can hopefully find some from a seed bank or something.

Omrita Rx and Cannatonic are probably the 2 best CBD strains. There is a really good CBD Afghan Kush going around right now.

I can't smoke indicas, they make me feel stupid, paranoid, clumsy.

I am the exact opposite of this and get way more paranoia of sativa and most of the people I know are the same way as me.

Strawberry Cough wouldn't be the strain I would pick either..

Agree with both parts of that. Some people can be either way (indica or sativa calms them), but Strawberry Cough is never one of them, haha.

Omrita Rx and Cannatonic are probably the 2 best CBD strains. There is a really good CBD Afghan Kush going around right now.

Good advice as well. I've got a little Cannatonic in my drawer right now for when I need some CBD. It'll give you some relaxing effects without getting you very high (or high at all depending on how you experience cannabis).

CBD strains are ridiculously hard to find though, but if you want to grow you can order them from Amsterdam (I hear good things about the Skunk crew CBDs).
Blueberry, Blackberry, and some of their offspring strains are good for anxiety.

Agree CBD.
Blue moon*****
Blue dream****
Jack Herer***
IMO for anxiety.

CBD strains are ridiculously hard to find though, but if you want to grow you can order them from Amsterdam

Yea, even at the clubs here in SF you can only find a few CBD strains, sometimes not at all, and sometimes they are simply just garbage. Cannatonic is the one I've found the most, but Omrita Rx is by far the best I've ever tried. It's 15% THC and 12%CBD which cancels the THC out a little bit, but the high is still there. I also like mixing normal strains with CBD strains, a mix. The biggest hurdle is the money aspect, the strains are still the same price and a lot of people feel like they're being ripped off for having to smoke something that doesn't really get them high. In 10 years, when recreational marijuana is legal, I bet refering to a strain as medical would mean it's CBD dominant. CBD really is the most important medical ingredient.

Purple strains of weed seem to help me. I live on the east coast so I can't trust a strain name I hear but all purple strains have worked good for me.