• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Flower Strain labeling and names are misleading and often have little genetic differences

I always figured the naming convention was used more as a determiner of a particular strain's more pronounced effects as opposed to being two distinct sub-species of the same plant. I've even asked the govt store where I live to start showing the terpene profiles of their products instead of sometimes listing them and never showing the actual concentration. That was a while ago and still no change. When I just wanna get high, weed is weed as long as it's quality weed. But when I use it medicinally, I look for the levels of specific terpenes.

a large proportion of indicas do have the classic earthy aroma, this article is interesting but i disagree with their findings indica is profoundly different in terms of effects its much more prone to a real couch lock which is always said to be ode to its heavier concentrations of resins etc within the plant and why it has greater medicinal value for (some) patients.

a large proportion of indicas do have the classic earthy aroma, this article is interesting but i disagree with their findings indica is profoundly different in terms of effects its much more prone to a real couch lock which is always said to be ode to its heavier concentrations of resins etc within the plant and why it has greater medicinal value for (some) patients.
The two species are visible different indeed.Find Indica more....spacy somehow..more stoned.Sativas are much larger with more branches.Have some distinct properties and also could be very pleasant....and there is too many hybrids between them probably.Beautiful plants.

yea idk....some so-called heavy indicas get me wired and some that are sativa leaners make me tired - but they're all hybrids

so i kinda agree in that regard - for me - personally anyway

but it looks to me, they tested all hybrids and not any landrace indicas or sativas

now - growing them - one finishes between 7 and 9 weeks of flower and the other somewhere between 12 and 16 weeks and they grow completely different

so as far as growing, it's a much bigger deal - but smoking - maybe not so much IME with hybrids - landraces yes much bigger difference between the 2

so when theyre talking landrace strains, then show me the study again

I agree. I could easily identify an indica blindfolded. I highly highly prefer it as well. Night and day difference to sativa.

Sativa and Indica are the same species of plant. IIRC, sativa was 'discovered' first, then a different phenotype was found in India which was incorrectly thought to be a seperate species so was named accordingly.

It's like comparing a Pug to a German Shepherd - same species of animal but with different characteristics...

Last edited:
Didn't make this up myself its from 'HighLife' magazine.

According to their findings there is Cannabis Sativa Sativa, or Hemp. low THC. Maily used for fiber's in the past.

The other one being Cananbis Sativa Indica.

Another interesting versatility of the Cannabis plant is the Afghanica. These differ from the regular Indica in their apperance, short and bushy plant's.

And then we have Cannabis Ruderalis with the auto flowering that was very useful for gardener's when it got bread in the excisting strain's.

Try to find a link ( English) to this article later.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41477-021-01003-y

They don't mention Afghanica or Ruderalis? But this part of the article i read.

Last edited:
Didn't make this up myself its from 'HighLife' magazine.

According to their findings there is Cannabis Sativa Sativa, or Hemp. low THC. Maily used for fiber's in the past.

The other one being Cananbis Sativa Indica.

Another interesting versatility of the Cannabis plant is the Afghanica. These differ from the regular Indica in their apperance, short and bushy plant's.

And then we have Cannabis Ruderalis with the auto flowering that was very useful for gardener's when it got bread in the excisting strain's.

Try to find a link ( English) to this article later.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41477-021-01003-y

They don't mention Afghanica or Ruderalis? But this part of the article i read.
Ruderallis is a short specie,growing freely wild almost in nothern regions addaptive to cooler climate.As I know with neglible psychoactive compounds.Sativa could be like this too.There are strains with low concentration of Thc(0,2 percent),used exclusively for fibres.They are very big.There is some with much higher psychoactive properties.Almost all in the legal market are hybrids.As i know pure strain you can find on more rural places in some African areas..or in central Asia

Ruderallis is a short specie,growing freely wild almost in nothern regions addaptive to cooler climate.As I know with neglible psychoactive compounds.Sativa could be like this too.There are strains with low concentration of Thc(0,2 percent),used exclusively for fibres.They are very big.There is some with much higher psychoactive properties.Almost all in the legal market are hybrids.As i know pure strain you can find on more rural places in some African areas..or in central Asia
My last homegrow had some Ruderalis genes in them. as they were autoflowering.

The seed's were also femizided. Which proved to be through, all girl's. Love the evolution on this particular field.

My last homegrow had some Ruderalis genes in them. as they were autoflowering.

The seed's were also femizided. Which proved to be through, all girl's. Love the evolution on this particular field.
Always prefer good outdoor.Despite that indoors are good too.But buy from time to time for a few days.Too risky to grown.And a not a big consumer the last years....but yes the plant is a true gift from creator

@Negentropic I will agree that a lot of labelling can be wrong. It’s at that point where we trust the breeders. Even if there is no genetic difference between Indica and Sativa, the breeders have been selecting for certain characteristics - so that makes me think they, in turn trust the source for their genetics stock and so on.

When I was buying flower, I always went for the cheapest or the most expensive. The described effects that they list are unequivalent to my experience effecst.

That having been said, Afghan Kush always seems to put me out like a light and it’s supposed to be a 100% Indica. If they come on the market I’d like a live resin Afghan Kush.

Tom

Always prefer good outdoor.Despite that indoors are good too.But buy from time to time for a few days.Too risky to grown.And a not a big consumer the last years....but yes the plant is a true gift from creator
That is also my main concern, its explicitly mentioned in my rental contract. To be evicted when growing Cannabis.

Bit of weird right.

wrong labelling does not mean no genetic difference,
breeding affects genetics, and there are many breeds and hybreeds.
genetics is involved, but the easy predictability of effects is not how it used to be,
you find what you like among the offerings, stick with it for a while, and move on.

There are genetic differences in all strains of cannabis.

Genome x environment =phenotype

Indicas are often referred to as "broadleaf)", sativas are often referred to as "narrowleaf".

Now, we also have rudaralis which is typic found in russia/Ukraine areas.

Many strains these days are called polyhybrids and tend to be a mix of many strains.

Hope this helps!

Endo

I never seem to be able to tell a different between C. sativa sativa and C. Sativa indica. Terpenes are the most common class of molecules in the world. They're found in all plants, mushrooms, and animals. Steroids/pheromones are terpenes too. I never noticed an effect from consuming aromatic compounds in regular food and many plants contain many of the same terpenes as cannabis.

@Snafu in the Void

the web article has a really really stupid title - outright erroneous in meaning taken any way you read it.

deep inside the article it states :
the research shows that plants with the Sativa label are no more genetically similar than plants with an Indica label.

which means the opposite of no genetic difference, it means there is no obvious pattern of genetic similarities between indicas
and no obvious genetic similarities between sativas

i.e. many many differences (not no difference) between strains, but no clear pattern that (at a genetic level) shows that a plant is either indica or sativa, so these particular terms do not have the genetic support that they once had (i.e. a century ago).

I despise science as it is prepared for dummies - reporters should be identified as dummies who do this, and their articles should be vetted and labelled.