View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Straight Dope on RC's

Hypnic_JerK

Bluelighter
All the regulars on this board have surely noticed a rift starting to form between “responsible” psychonauts and “irresponsible” thrill seeking IDIOTS. It is my fondest desire to help heal the rift with this drug_induced_rant of a post.

The Straight Dope on Research Chemicals

Research chemicals, in this context, refer to the multitudes of compounds synthesized by Shulgin and his co-conspirators. Some feel that you can’t lump them all into a group, but please, bear with me.

Research Chemicals all have a few things in common:

• They are novel, Unresearched drugs with novel effects.
  • When created, they come in powdered form, and are universally active at dosages impossible to ‘eyeball’ safely.
  • They all elicit strong psychological reactions (colloquially: They fuck with your Head).
  • Finally, for all practical purposes they are illegal to ingest, which makes them subject to the realities of illegal drugs.

I think all but the gayest_of_hitlers will be able to agree on the above facts. It’s the ramifications of those facts which fruit disagreement.

The fact that these drugs come in a miniscule powder means there is plenty of room for error in the dosing process. Everyone who takes these drugs without weighing them, themselves, on a high quality analytical balance really has no room to talk about safety, as they are throwing the dice every time they dose. Some people with a harm reduction mindset believe they are OK because when the baggie of powder came in the mail they carefully dissolved it in a known quantity of liquid and can dose like that because, fool, ions distribute themselves equally! This is a false belief, because it is a well documented fact that suppliers often send a different amount of powder than was ordered. The don’t want to spend hours shifting grains of dust, instead they’ll just make your bag “fat” and oops, you’re dosing yourself with an unknown amount of chemical.

I believe that the above should make many users reflect that maybe they don’t have room to preach safety, because their own safety is an illusion.

A sizeable group of people exist which own their own scales and measure their chemicals accurately. Unfortunately, this is the real world and they aren’t actually dealing with a known chemical! Actually, there have been times when suppliers have messed up synthesizes, misshipped chemicals, and believe it or not some fuckers are just in it for the cheese (paper) and will purposefully fuck with your life to get rich! This means that everyone who doesn’t have access to a gas chromatography machine really has no room to talk about safety, unless they or their best friend is the chemist, and they feel like placing their life in the hands of fate. There are testing kits available which will give you a ballpark guess at which family of chemical you’re getting, but really that’s just playing the odds like anything else. B-dragonfly and 2cb have slightly different dosages…

Now there are some good souls who’ve read this and think, “well damnit, he has a point, but I do know my chemist and I don’t even think about how he may have messed up.” Alternatively, these folks have a reliable drug test to know what they’re getting. That brings me to the point that these drugs are highly unpredictable and Fuck With Your Head. Even “safe” drugs like Mushrooms have ruined people mentally. Research Chemicals are completely Unknown. So even if you have accurate access to a molecule, THERE IS NO WAY TO TAKE IT SAFELY. From MorningGlorySeed (cautious?) to Myself, no one is really being safe when they take these drugs.

Of course. This is a Harm Reduction forum. But realize, that harm reduction is really just a gambling system, and while it may make your money last, those systems don’t work. YOU aren’t taking psychedelics safely.

With that in mind, lets get along? I believe that we’re all the same blind human animals trying to maybe peek under the corner of the cosmic rug, and goddamnit life is really fucking hard so lets stick together, ok? Please? Rather than condemn those among us who make decisions we don’t personally find appealing, lets send them a prayer, cosmic hug, or fraternal slap on the back. Or a handjob if you’re down ;) Point out erowid, and the “safe” RC user’s guide. You buy the ticket, you take the ride, Mahalo. :)

Love,
your perpetually tripping brother

ok, this is my problem with the irresponsible RC users. They are on BL promoting incredibly unsafe habits. Bluelight has become, not a harm-reduction site, but one that encourages reckless and harmful drug use. It's ridiculous. people taking 30mg of a substance that they've never used before, is highly unresearched, and is active at 1/3 of the level is fucking RIDICULOUS. giving people a pat on the back for this kind of behavior is ridiculous. just giving them a slap on the wrist is ridiculous.

We can all learn from the horrendous consequences of people's irresponsible drug usage when it comes to 2C-T-7. In my opinion, 2C-T-7 is not only safe when used in a smart manner, but is highly useful and a great therapeutic tool. Unfortunately, people were stupid, people died, and 2C-T-7 became a scheduled substance. and unfortunately, people are still being extremely stupid when it comes to these substances.

I don't think anyone around here has claimed that any of these drugs were safe. There is no such thing as safe drug use. There is always a risk. Harm reduction does not mean harm elimination.

I think its better for someone to take a known amount of a chemical that is not known to be pure, than an unmeasured or haphazardly measured amount of the same. Having a scale does not make you safe, but it makes you a little safer.

Even if everyone did have a GC/MS machine sitting in the basement, that still does not make you completely safe. Most of these have not been researched. Nobody knows what exactly is going on in some cases. There may be good reason to suspect this or that action, but no way to know for sure until the research is done.

100% purity is no gurantee of safety. You don't know how it will affect your personally. You can't be sure how its metabolized or what other medications or medical conditions might interfere.

You can only take the best precautions you can, and there are quite a few good things you can do to help in that regard. Start on the low end, use a good scale, don't start mixing it with drugs when you don't know what they'll do, don't be other meds without knowing what they'll do. Take supplements like antioxidants, etc, etc.

Some people look for info, get it, are warned that what they are doing is dangerous and do it anyway. Then they complain about problems, post stories about people flipping out, hospital trips, psychological issues, physical issues, anxiety, trauma, etc. Then they get yelled at, people say "I told you so", "you should have listened, this could have been avoided..". Then sometimes they do it AGAIN... and maybe AGAIN!

There are a lot of people making reckless decisions. Something needs to be said about that, and if it alienates a small group of people who aren't going to listen anyway, so be it. That kind of behavior cannot be allowed to look like it is acceptable or safe. Its not. Thats how people go to jail, get drugs scheduled (making everyone who uses them look bad, and further hampers progressive drug law development), end up with emotional or physical problems that go so far as death.

Sometimes the spread of accurate information is worth hurting the feelings of or pissing off a few people that spread dangerous information (even if it is an unintentional side effect of their actions).

harm reduction is really just a gambling system

Life is a gambling system. Its full of risks, and we all do risky things every day. Being in car is risky, you can get killed without doing anything wrong. Water skiing and mountain climbing are risky too.

And so research chemicals are risky. All drug use is risky. We already knew that. Didn't we? There is no such thing any 'safe' drug use. Harm reduction is about discussing and comparing risks, so that people who want to minimize the risks they take can do that. Some risks are patently more foolish than others.

Last edited:
Even though people might be getting more irresponsible it was bound to happen anyways. Most people SWIM knows are safe about it and have +-1mg scales which they use. If you measure out 1000mg and dilute it in 1000ml of liquid there is not much room for error there. Even if you are 10mg off, the difference will not be drastic. As long as you are safe about your drug use, research chemicals are actually much safer than other drugs. The thing I would worry most about is getting the WRONG CHEMICAL. THis has happened before and this could easily lead to death. It isnt so much measuring doses, because most people measure their doses pretty accurately. There are exceptions though. Some people eyeball doses of substances where 1mg could be a huge difference.

People just need to learn and this place is a great place to learn. There will always be thos who dont listen and they will pay the consequences. It sucks for those who are responsible to have to share their consequences. It is sad but true, research chemicals days are VERY limited. The more mainstream they get the closer they are getting to scheduling. There was a day when nearly everyone who used rcs was well informed about weight etc. In all honesty, most people here seem to be pretty safe about their research chemical use. Some are more conservative than others but I have not seen anyone speak of doing something entirely irresponsible. Just be safe people. Read up and be informed about your decisions. Make sure to weight your chemicals because there is always a chance of getting more than you order. The worst problem would be getting the wrong chemical though. This would be by far the worst situation you could be in. I do believe this has happened recently too. This should be prevented at all costs. Its a risk you have to take though. Unless you have proper testing equipment, there is sometimes no way to distinguish one chemical from another. Some chemicals have distinct characteristics but it all depends on who made them, how they made it etc. You really cannot safely distinguish two chemicals from one another with the naked eye. hopefully sources dont make mistakes like this in the future.

These chemicals are unresearched though. Taking rcs is taking a risk no matter how well you know your source and no matter how well you weight our dose. THis is a harm reduction site and honestly I think people here are doing a good job of informing people how to be safe. There is no way to eliminate the harm factor and no way to keep people from doing something they have their mind set on. Hopefully people will learn from this site and make the right choice. Of course some will ignore everyone and eyeball out their doses of DOC and DOI. This site provides adiquate information on how to reduce harm. I have never heard someone recommend someone to do something which was too high of a risk factor. DRUGS ARE DANGEROUS. thats the bottom line. You just have to decide if the benefits outweight the risks. Shit happens and there is no way to prevent bad things from happening. We can only reduce the chances of something bad happening and bluelight seems to be doing a pretty good job.

stay cool everyone, and just be safe, but have fun because we are all going to die anyways!

Last edited:
yes, driving is a risk, EVERYTHING in life has it's risks.....

but what some people do on this site is comparable to driving on the wrong side of the road, in the middle of the night withouth their lights on, and without wearing a seatbelt.

I know, people will do this regardless of all of the good advice that comes their way, and it is helpful knowing that some idiot ramped the dose up to 10x shulgin's recommendation and didn't have any life-threatening effects.

My real problem comes when these people refuse to recognize that they're irresponsible behavior is potentially life-threatening, and even recommend it to other potential drug users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMomenT
stay cool everyone, and just be safe, but have fun because we are all going to die anyways!

Originally Posted by DivineMomenT
People just need to learn and this place is a great place to learn. There will always be thos who dont listen and they will pay the consequences.

^ These are the points I was trying to make. Really, everyone is just trying to do their thing and I only wish them the best and would rather have them around than push them away because I feel they're unsafe or something. (at least we can get some good train-wreck stories out of it, and theres a MUCH better chance they'll learn to get safe if they're around instead if we push em away)

And anyone who thinks that a certain chemical is going to remain unscheduled becuase people are responsible about it is delusional. First, because people are going to get what they want and people are irresponsible. Second, because the powers that be make any enjoyable drug illegal based on the fact that it exists and they aren't making money off it.

So if the mods want to alienate the people they deem irresponsible, well I'm not gonna argue with that cuz this is their game. But personally, I welcome ANY psychedelic user. Except Nazis.

edit: And I know its A LOT to ask, but could you please read my whole first post (the topic post) before parroting out your pre-packaged response to whatever topic you generalize this into? I just think it makes for better discussion is all ;)
peace n stuff!

if the mods want to alienate the people they deem irresponsible,

Why give people who don't care about responsibility a free communication medium to spread their behaviour? Do we want someone to get hurt because of some foolish idea spread on this forum? It simply isn't what bluelight is here for.

I'm not saying that these drugs won't be scheduled one day. I AM saying that people using it in irresponsible matters is GREATLY accelerating this inevitable outcome.

I know for a fact that the frequency of bluelighters idiotic behavior and oftentimes completely useless posts has been the cause for many intelligent people with useful information to stop posting in these forums.

^agree whole-heartedly.

How the fuck can you guys admit that there is no safe way to use these and then condemn people for not seeing your exact same shade of grey.

There are precautions that one can take, and I'm confident to say that there would be NO deaths involved with RCs if these precautions had been taken.

To be honest, I'm surprised there haven't been more fatal ODs from these drugs, considering the reckless manner in which they've been used.

How the fuck can you guys admit that there is no safe way to use these and then condemn people for not seeing your exact same shade of grey
it's not the same to get hit by a car while walking on the sidewalk and while walking in the middle of the highway

And anyone who thinks that a certain chemical is going to remain unscheduled becuase people are responsible about it is delusional. First, because people are going to get what they want and people are irresponsible. Second, because the powers that be make any enjoyable drug illegal based on the fact that it exists and they aren't making money off it.

Well, in the US, there has to be some kind of evidence that the use is widespread or causing some serious problems to schedule it (schedule it outside of the analog law). The more substances that are specifically scheduled means that more new drugs are deemed by the fed gov are being dangerous enough to interevene. That means one more drug law. More drugs dangerous enought o be controlled means more fuel for the anti-drug war. If most of these substances were used responsibly.. and few cases of trainwrecks happen, I think that looks better. It makes a better case for legalization way, way, way down the road.

Yes, people are irresponsible. People make bad decisions. That means its even more important to make sure that stupid behavior be condemned. Nobody likes to receive a negative response to their behavior. Thats unfortunate, but thats life.

How the fuck can you guys admit that there is no safe way to use these and then condemn people for not seeing your exact same shade of grey.

There is no "safe" way to go mountain climbing. Its relatively dangerous. But there are degrees of safety. You could use ropes, or you could not. You could go alone the first time out, or not.

If someone gets 10 DUIs, they probably shouldn't be allowed to go drive a car for a long time. If you can do that, and then get right back behind the wheel, what kind of messeage does that send to the impressionable? I don' think this is any different.

I don't want to alienate anybody, really. I hope that everyone learns something, contributes their experiences, and gets along. But if pointing out that certain choices are reckless, or trying to tell someone that a choice they are going to make is dangerous or flat out stupid happens to alienate someone... well.. I still think the pros outwiegh the cons.

And I did read your post in its entirety, and didn't give a canned response. I was trying to explain why there is a rift if there is one, and my feelings on the matter.

Its really the users responsibility. If they want to take the risk, they should have the right too, but no ones gonna like you when they hear about someone running naked across freeways, or drowning in some drainage ditch high off their ass on whatever drug, causing it to become illegal.

I honestly dont think pyshcedelics are that dangerous. As long as you keep reasonable with their use nothing bad should happen. But what reasonable means, who knows.

i eyeball 2c-e. ill say it flat out. yes i know it is dangerous. but i feel like i have a semi accurate system of doing it. ive taken it 4 times this way and havnt had a bad dose yet. yes this is unsafe. yes i could be doing harm to myself. but hey the worst experience of my life came from a LSD trip. that drug is "safe".... i'm taking my chances and i will accept the consequences. nobody has died from 2c-e.... i dont snort the stuff... if worse comes to worse ill have a bad trip which can be fixed with either sleeping pills , opiates, or excessive amounts of alcohol

^^
As long as there are idiots out there like this guy, it's bound to be illegal.

Emericana said:
i eyeball 2c-e. ill say it flat out. yes i know it is dangerous. but i feel like i have a semi accurate system of doing it. ive taken it 4 times this way and havnt had a bad dose yet. yes this is unsafe. yes i could be doing harm to myself. but hey the worst experience of my life came from a LSD trip. that drug is "safe".... i'm taking my chances and i will accept the consequences. nobody has died from 2c-e.... i dont snort the stuff... if worse comes to worse ill have a bad trip which can be fixed with either sleeping pills , opiates, or excessive amounts of alcohol

Wait until you are eyeballing out a dose, and you unknowingly get a bunch of very small dense crystals instead of a fluffy powder (this is very hard to notice sometimes). It'll be the last time you eyeball anything. There is more harm than the physical kind.

LSD is safe physically in that realistically, you're not going to die of an overdose. But LSD is in no way a safe drug if you were to, say, eyeball a dose of liquid. There's no telling what you might do with a giant dose in your head.

...and there are no reported 2C-E deaths that I'm aware of, but with things of this nature, you cannot say that for certain. If the worst were to happen, yes, you could die. Mixing up a cocktail of disinhibiting downers while flipping out on hardcore psychedelic drugs is not exactly a bright idea. From what I've observed, you'll still be tripping your ass off and just more likely to wander around and do something stupid... like hurt yourself, make an asinine decision and get arrested, or take way too much opiates with your sleeping pills and alcohol and die... spending your last moments convulsing, struggling to keep breathing, while you choke on a spray of vomit all while having a horrific nightmare trip.

Yeah, I guess thats safe. 8(

i eyeball 2c-e. ill say it flat out. yes i know it is dangerous.

I was thinking, well I can at least respect that he knows what he is doing is dangerous.

but i feel like i have a semi accurate system of doing it.

But then you turned out to be just like the rest. :(

Egads... eyeballing 2C-E, one of the most dose-sensitive drugs we know of? Every milligram kicks up the intensity SO much... and the crystals of 2C-E are not all the same size, and they don't always occupy the same amount of spacfe due to the way they happen to be fitting together at the time. Plus, NO ONE's eye is sensitive enough to be able to tell between, say, 16 and 25 mg of a tiny white powder.

So you've gotten lucky 4 times, eh? Don't count on it continuing. Using very careful measuring techniques, I ingested exactly 18mg. I ended up having an unimaginably intense +4 that had me absolutely convinced my ego would never come back. I was actually quite close to doing something extremely foolish that I never could have taken back, and I'm a very rational individual with no history of suicidal tendencies at all. If Id've taken 19 or 20, I honestly can't say the outcome would have been as good.