View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Storing tryptamines in USED amber vials

kratomized

Bluelighter
So if one was to clean out a couple used vials that contained an unknown but likely benign substance with rubbing alcohol and soap would this be sufficient to use to store 4 sub tryptamines? The caps of these vials have a little paper or plastic round flat piece on the inside. You often see these in the caps on many bottles...such as vitamin or supplement bottles. I believe its there to help keep the container air tight by creating a seal between the cap and the glass. If this piece im referring to is stained; kinda orangish or almost ammonia colored and does not come off no matter how much its scrubbed would it be ok to use for storage? Is there a chance it could degrade, contaminate or worse cause the 4-subs to degrade into a toxic compound?

as an alernative...how about little perfume sample vials? could those be cleaned and used as well? even if the perume scent is stlll faintly detectable?

i saw that coming......but they were needed now.....its a complicated situation but basically it was that or standard plastic baggies....the glass was chosen ove the bags

If you clean the container with subsequently a water-based cleaning solution (plain water or dishwashing soap added or preferably stronger such cleaning product are simple examples), and then to be sure with a non-polar solvent like white spirit, petroleum, etc (but preferably a volatile one)... you should be able to dissolve and rinse out most things that are not caked on. Going with acetone in a 3rd was is even more complete.

I'd say that what could not be dissolved in those nor removed with fervent mechanical 'grinding' is just unlikely to spontaneously release itself in any state after that.

But I would then never like to put loose powder in vials, but always in wax-paper ponypack midget-mail type envelopes or something like that or yea baggies, which is then in turn put in the glass vial. That way you can add a desiccant pack without worrying about it touching. And you wont have to worry about the last bit of product not coming out easy, etc etc. Choosing the glass does not mean you can't put in baggies or packets as well, or are they tiny glass vials? : \

Finally it does, just as a principle, matter to me exactly how harmful it possibly could have been that was in there.

well it was kratom extract tincture...suspended in ethanol alcohol...and the other was a similar solution with a less psyhoactive botanical...im just not sure what it was....i wonder if such things cold casuse a degredation into a toxic substance is all.

the vials are tiny...held a single dram i believe

the vials were first rinsed and vigorously shaken with a liquid hand soap several times and the 91% rubbing alcohol was used to rinse several times. a cotton ball doused with the alcohol and was then scrubbed aound the threads of the glass and the plastic threads on the inside of the cap. finally were air dried before use...should the paper "gasket" thing be removed from inside the cap perhaps? Since its stained and all

Rings or discs like that in the cap could also serve for real airtight closure since the material can be molded whereas hard materials like glass cannot and need ground joints which I think are still inferior. I don't know that the stain is worse than sacrificing airtight closure especially if its going in the freezer (which seems good for most trypts), as long as the same idea applies that cleaning everything that wants to come of should mean that its not coming off later either.
The type of disc that initially seals it when you buy it often doesnt come off intact, but i guess it can. No right I think its probably what you think it is then.

Its up to you, cause on the off chance that you do contaminate your sample... I wouldn't be worried about things like traces of psychoactives that were meant to be ingested to begin with and what non-biological material on earth spontaneously turns toxic in trace amounts that was first consumable? Esp in a freezer no less. But rather a technical worry is that apparently *some* kinds of impurities in sensitive compounds like 4-ho-trypts can apparently catalyze degradation.
However I think that is mostly true for agents that facilitate ionization / electron transfer, pH destabilizing shit.. it just doesn't sound like it applies here and that its all overreacting here. In principle introducing impurities is just bad practice, but it does not seem as bad as compromising airtightness.

Your vial sounds like one of those classic coke vials, but I personally would only put stable drugs in a vial like that. I had K in one once, and the cap had a spoon type thing on the inside.

For sensitive chems like I said: waxpaper seal (optionally in neat baggie) combined with desiccant pack inside mini mason jar or similar airtight container.

Also: ammonia colored? Its colorless :)

Last edited:
Hmm ok thanks....yeah every time ive seen ammonia its been an orange/yellow stinky liquid. Do you not know what Im reffering to ? The kind you can buy at the drug store... never seen it clear

If it was just a tincinture of kratom extract in ethanol and the vial is totally dry, I don't think it's really much of an issue. When you started the thread, i thought it was some sort of hazardous or annoying chemical contained in it! Also IME, ammonia's always been clear.

Hmm ok thanks....yeah every time ive seen ammonia its been an orange/yellow stinky liquid. Do you not know what Im reffering to ? The kind you can buy at the drug store... never seen it clear
That was piss dude...it smells like ammonia at times. =D

LOL^^^ do you often receive piss in small vials ?

Ok what chemical is it that I am thinking of that you put on wounds that matches that color description??

That was piss dude...it smells like ammonia at times. =D
well technically speaking, nitrogen containing compounds (urea) decompose to produce ammonia over time which is released as a gas. that's why fresh urine doesn't smell much at all (normally) and old urin starts to smell nasty. the smell is (partially) ammonia.

ps I hate the smell of ammonia. only pyridine smells worse ime

edit: also Iodine is certainly not brown. bromine is though (more red-ish though)

Honestly I haven't seen pure iodinie in sometime but those anapestic wipes with iodine always appeared brown to me, which is what I was going off of. Could be another reason for that though....

pure solid iodine has a very dark purple color, it's fumes are very purple (and toxic ;) ). but yeah now that I think about it, in some solutions it is brown, so you're partially right. :)

pure solid iodine has a very dark purple color, it's fumes are very purple (and toxic ;) ). but yeah now that I think about it, in some solutions it is brown, so you're partially right. :)
Ugh! Partial credit?!? Come on man, the perfectionist in me can't deal with this! I'm gonna lose it!;)

maybe taking any 4-iodo-phenethylamine can rectify the situation?