• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Stopping analogues of the killer drug sweeping the USA

clubcard

Bluelighter
From research, I note that only NPP & ANPP are controlled in the US.

I've found (through lots of patents) that 48 analogues of NPP can replace NPP and I figured that there are 191 analogues of ANPP that can be used. This stuff has spread through Scandinavia and it always goes through 4 steps but the US has areas of 5 and that will lead to 6. C analogues that are cheap and simple known so no imports needed. Can all be made for the country it's being sold in.

1-abuse of patches (used patches still have a lot of dope in them). Canada has a system in which used patches must be returned. Didn't stop the rise of F, but certainly slowed it down

2- 1Kg Reasonable quality heroin can be converted to 2Kg of good quality of heroin. I mean, get 1980g of H, add 20g of fentanyl & 1KG of 'bash' i.e. paracetamol/caffeine mixed in Western Europe, Piracetam in Eastern Europe. People caught with large amounts of either are put on trial for 'conspiracy to produce a class A drug', 'intent to supply a class A drug). A (UK) = schedule 1 (US).

3- Drug sold under code names to attract buyers, chiefly 'China White' which was number 4 (in old money).

4- Drug sold under real name, uncut. In the UK we found 19x5mg bags, 8x20mg bags & 3 dead people. It was near Aberdeen (the very north of Scotland) where people take whatever they can get.

And now to turn rich people into addicts. This is new to the USA but the freebase would work and be the most addicting drug in history.

5- 'Magic' which is very high quality cocaine (no levamisole, uncut) at the $400-$500/gram mark. Just a 20:1 mix of cocaine hydrochloride and fentanyl citrate. i.e. 950mg of pure coke & 50mg of fentanyl. An average line is 50mg has only 1mg of fentanyl, so the rush/flash means that the moneyed punter will find the coke vastly better. It's only rarely encountered, but you can get to grips with the theory, I'm sure.

6- 'Mace' which is just the high quality coke/F mix freebased. Both compounds work for about 20 minutes.

I've heard of people ending up with the '20 minute habit' so sleeping is tricky and tachyphylaxis means that they are caining 360mg per day. People must have seen those dubious that even sells F analogues that are legal in UK law.

Combined with the 200-odd compounds sold as 'bath salts' in the US & 'research chemical' in the UK totals about 200 compounds. So, call it 450 compounds, most of which don't have a CAS number. We aren't going to stop this when the 'cooks' have such a vast number of legal precursors BUT for cargo maifest, compounds without a CAS are hand-checked. Last time I heard, UK sites were having to move stuff in 1Kg amounts. But 1Kg of an ANPP analogue and a HOST of mixed anhydrides (e.g. propanoyl prop-2-enoate) cannot be 'pinched' and the 3 aniline analogues could be 'pinched' but ANPP & NPP, COULD be given CAS numbers. The US has enough traction with China to make the production of the precursors a capital offense so the 'cooks' would have to go down a step needing an enamine or imine.... SN2 reactions would be to slow and inpure messing up the work. What I am saying is that while the US is starting to see fentanyl as a major problem, but if the Chinese are watching their factories (it would be a swap for something - that's diplomatic work.) but as it turns out, this isn't like an iceburg with 10% above water but more like 99% under the waterline. Does anyone know if their is a charity who would test & register. Tic Tac in the UK have GC-MS but not NMR. Good enough to prove what's supposed to be in the box... isn't.

Is their a register of all of the Needle-Exchange & Harm-Reduction charities in the US? I'm looking at $64,000 but if their are 100s in the US & EU, the more pledges, the cheaper it gets. I bet for 400 compounds, you can argue down the price. They don't HAVE to have full MP BP, toxicity, flammability and so on. I would describe as 'precursor to toxin'... well, try to make up 400 that don't just look that they were block added. It will be months of work but I'm happy to do that work as having seen too many excellent chemists ending up with a '20 minute habit' for who withdrawal takes YEARS. Trying to cover it with methadone would need a toxic dose. If it REALLY goes wrong, I vote that the compound made by reducing R-4066 and forming the acetal ester. That's 100x morphine and unlike ORLAAM, won't cause LongQT. Analgesic duration of 20.5 hours compared to 8 hours for methadone so it SOUNDS like a good methadone replacement. ORLAAM could be given every 2 or 3 days, I think this stuff would do the same. Someone on a 20-minute habit is locked in, no treatment except a 12 month + cold turkey but if someone was doung 5-mg every 20 minutes, 2mg of this stuff 2-3 times a week would at least give them a way out. The poor don't have too much money for drugs, but I wonder how much did Hans Rausing spend?

I guess all I'm doing is asking for peoples views. My point is that if the Chinese start getting capital punishment for making the precursors and if the Mexicans start lower, 4-piperidone & analogues are another pinch-point. I know governments keep tabs of the import & export of stuff so Chinese sending stuff WITH CAS leads to MPP analogues. This is going to be the big one, I hope people will take this post as it was meant, a battlecry for us to all help MAKING fentanyl a headline subject every day.

Many thanks - Sean

Last edited:
The biggest problem with fentanyl in the USA is adulturation of heroin (as you noted). Most of the fentanyl is made in Mexico. Because fentanyl and heroin are already controlled, the distribution of fentanyl as a cutting agent isn't subject to the same pressures that cause RC vendors to constantly change their product line. Therefore I don't see a reason to think that there will be a large shift from fentanyl to other analogs -- at least until ANPP and NPP are subject to international controls.

It seems unlikely that we will have a repeat of the mid-1980s where there was a mini epidemic of fentanyl analogs sold as china white in California. The conditions that allowed that to happen no longer exist. As an example, there was recently some acetylfentanyl distribution, but the Analog Act was successfully used to prosecute some of the distributors.

OK - Response from CAS services (that's FAST) and Lois tells me that the team are considering what they can do to help! This is fantastic! We are off. A meeting of the managers of CAS are underway. So, let's hear it for the boys & girls at CAS!

Last edited:
OK - EMCDDA chemistry director says 2016 list of all RCs in Europe will be listed. Have no idea who to ask for the US list because the DEA, even when project is explained in detail, didn't even reply saying 'sorry, we can't help' or even send a 'recieved' e-mail (and their should be). I'm beginning to think that someone WANTS a super-potent fentanyl analogue to be used as a WMD to get a stack of US laws letting them enter without warrant, roll over the 'right to privacy laws' and so on i.e. 'the death of a few thousand is worth it for the leverage we can get to pass laws'.

Never explain to malice that which can be blamed on ignorance - and they are NOT dumb.

Maybe they just don't think that any of the things you are talking about will make a difference? Why would having a complete list of new RCs or assigning CAS numbers prevent a fentanyl epidemic? Usually batches sent through customs are mislabeled. So if a parcel is checked at the border, what matters is whether the MS is in their library, not whether the compound has a CAS number. The CAS number is only useful to look up publications. Companies have been selling, and police have been seizing compounds without CAS numbers for years. If no one has published papers about a compound then of course no CAS number will exist.

Neither the UN and DEA "orange books" (where the full list of controlled substances are published) nor the text of the drug control regulations includes CAS numbers. The reason for that is because the CAS numbers are not very useful for drug control. Each drug salt is a different chemical entity and hence has a different CAS number. Hence, to circumvent checking CAS numbers, exporters can just switch to a new counterion.

Eh yeah who cares about CAS numbers?

The EWS already has a nice database of substances found in recent years, take a look at http://nsddb.eu/substances/.

Maybe, just maybe this is a bit bigger than "fentanyl is the root of all evil".

Americans, constituting only 4.6% of the world’s population, have been consuming 80% of the global opioid supply

http://www.painphysicianjournal.com/linkout?issn=1533-3159&vol=11&page=S63

The goal should be drug legalization and proper quality control and drug education, not backwards prohibition which never worked.

OP just realized this?

Nah; Intuiting what little I have extrapolated of Sean's character through years of faceless acquaintanceship, he just slowed down enough to put it into writing. ;-P

Legalise heroin and sell it cheap enough that the Mexican producers go out of business. Pharma grade pure iv solution.

Do the same for all drugs and make sure they are all properly dosed and labelled.