• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

'Stoner Sloth' tells Australian kids to stop smoking weed, people think it's hilariou

poledriver

Bluelighter
'Stoner Sloth' tells Australian kids to stop smoking weed, people think it's hilarious

stoner-sloth.jpg

GIFs and videos have been created for the government campaign, hosted on a custom tumblr page and distributed on a Facebook page, in an apparent attempt to send the campaign viral.

The three videos feature the character of Stoner Sloth taking over people in a variety of public situations, a result of being under the influence of marijuana — dopey and reacting slowly to the people around them, who are disgusted by Stoner Sloth.

The first video shows "Delilah" in a high school exam, who's written nothing. The next shows "Jason," struggling to pass food around the dinner table. Finally we meet "Dave," not able to react at a cool teenage party where everyone's holding red cups. All the sloths are presumably super blazed.

Gauging from reactions on Stoner Sloth's Facebook page, people aren't particularly sure whether the campaign is a parody... or not.

At the bottom of the Stoner Sloth's tumblr page, the New South Wales Department of Premier of Cabinet (DPC) is credited; plus a link to Your Room, a drugs and alcohol information page. A WHOIS search on the domain points to the DPC as the registrant. So it looks pretty legit.

http://mashable.com/2015/12/18/stoner-sloth-weed-australia/#4v0YSRSj85qs

NSW Government 'stoner sloth' campaign backfires

A new campaign by the NSW government that uses a stoned sloth to ward teens off marijuana has been mocked on social media, with some declaring the advertisement "an early Christmas present".

The "you're worse on weed" campaign's first clip shows a human sized sloth named Delilha struggling to learn at school, accompanied by the tagline, "when you realise you should have hit the books and not the bong".

Another clip shows a sloth by the name of Dave not keeping up with a conversation at a party, instead groaning incomprehensibly followed by the caption, "TFW (the feeling when) you realise you shouldn't have smoked up".

#StonerSloth has trended on Twitter since yesterday, with users mystified how the concept ever made it out of the ideas room.

"Seems like we're being trolled by @mikebairdMP. What were you guys smoking when making this?" said Mitch Jones.

"Why? How? What? Which? Who? Seriously this campaign is an early Christmas present," said Kieran Morrissey.

Even NSW Premier Mike Baird appeared to distance himself from the campaign.

"Just saw the #StonerSloth ads. Not sure where NSW Gov's ad guys found Chewbaccas siblings, but those videos are ...Quite something", Mr Baird tweeted.

"I've been assured no sloths were harmed in the making of those #StonerSloth ads."

The Department of Premier and Cabinet said the campaign was designed to be "shareable" amongst teenagers.

"The 'stoner sloth' public awareness campaign has been designed to encourage positive behaviours in young people before bad habits start, and motivate discontinued use of cannabis before they become dependent," it said in a statement.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-sloth-campaign-backfires#kTbrW8ee0cFwPIfT.99

The salt.. please...

eruhhhhuhhhhhhh

salad?

By the title I was expecting a video of some super stoned, slow talking kid telling everyone that weed is bad but not making a lot of sense.

Lol, I just feel bad for a kid who actually looks like St. Sloth

I like how they depict kids drinking at a party while attempting to say weed is bad.

^ yeah, probably funded by a breeing company.
Governments in Australia sure do make a lot of money from alcohol taxes...

someone needs to make a liquor lobster to put this shit in perspective

I really don't know who this series of ads is aimed at; tweens, teens? Youths, young adults? I know what I would have thought of this ad when I was 15-17, and it ain't much.

So what's the worst thing stoner sloth Tom did? Well, two days ago I left some chicken drumsticks in the oven until they were nice and charcoal crispy n black. I forgot them because I was too high. Shrug and move on to grilled cheese sandwiches and beans (those I didn't fuck up).

Of course we never expect these rabid anti drug commercials to be informative (like telling the audience the difference between a Sativa and Indica) or objective

Why didn't they show stoner sloth at the dinner table scarfing down food?

Tom

demagogues in politics man, schoolyard kids acting grown up with their schoolyard mentality, he who yells loudest wins.

Salutations Thomas Davie,

I really don't know who this series of ads is aimed at... ...

My guess is it's because that government's series was self-serving, basically: it targets an audience just as themselves...

So, personnally i'm not surprized to observe politicians in the Commonwealth still trying to use a nation's children as some ludicrous excuse for their own failure to recognize one truly toxic attitude.

Good day, have fun!! =D

Yeah, they may be missing the mark a bit here. The ad made me sympathize too much with the thing I was supposed to be repulsed by. Stoner Sloth seems like the bullied underdog outcast. I'm pretty sure this would actually get an impressionable teen to want to smoke weed.

I want a sloth as a pet, they seem chill.

This kinda reminds me of one of my friends from HS. On one of our tests, he took a nap for the first 55 minutes and then wrote his whole essay in the last 5. Still got a B.

liquor lobster would be equally awesome me thinks

would pay small amounts of money to see that.

All that government propaganda did was make my first high a paranoid one, but that subsequently faded to sheer enjoyment which has since been repeated thousands of times.

The first time someone offered me weed I tried it with excitement and without hesitation. I wouldn't have even known that drugs were a possibility if it weren't for all those good old police visits to my school that told us to avoid them. Can you imagine a group of grade 1 children being talked to about drugs by a police officer? Talk about planting ideas.

/\ I agree that society is a bit preemptive in our approach to educating kids on drug use. I remember hearing "just say no" before ever knowing what they hell I was supposed to say no to and why it might be a good idea to do so.

I'm not sure how I feel on the whole subject to be totally honest, but I do feel that if drugs are so prevalent that we must teach damn near infants about the subject and staying away then we need a more open and honest way of doing so.