• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Stomach pain immediately after IVing Opana

Sam0619

Greenlighter
I have IV'ed pretty much everything imaginable, including my favorite- Opana. However, tonight after I did an Opana, I immediately experienced an onset of pretty severe stomach pain. It has me doubled over with sharp, stabbing cramps. This has never happened before and it has yet to dissipate. Has anyone else had this experience, know why it may occur, or have any tips on dealing with it? TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. We do not SWIM here. It does not protect you from anything. If you are still around, or anyone else reading this, that easily could be a blood clot. Pills have insoluble binders and fillers in them. They build up and clog veins and arteries. Some of them have gelling agents that react with water. If you are experiencing severe pain, that is a emergency situation that could kill you due to lack of blood flow. I would immediately get checked for a blood clot or blocked artery.

This is not open for debate. A severe blockage can make a person drop dead. Seek medical attention immediately.

Hi thanks for the info. The pain did eventually subside but immediately comes back each time I IV and last for about an hour.

Ok. I don't know anything about Opana but found s lot of articles saying the exact same thing about the BRAND Opana.

It is made specifically to be a slow release so ppl dont overdose orally, it has done this by being coated in this shit that is never to be injected, it has this hook inside the pill, removing the shell helps but not enough.

Keep injecting and you will die from a clot as the gel sticks to your veins.

Stop. Now.

All is not lost though, iv use is possible with GENERIC brands, look at the script and make sure it says generic is okay not just the brand Opana. You can cross this out yourself but generic is cheaper so it's ok to say that to your doc due to finances.

The new generic is made by Impax but is not welcome by the makers of Opana, so if you insist on injecting then ffs switch over.

You will have to sort out your usage eventually but this will keep you at least alive and give you time to figure this out.

Medpage Today

by Kristina Fiore, Staff Writer, MedPage Today
January 12, 2013
Drug users who inject the new "abuse-deterrent" version of Opana ER (oxymorphone) may be at risk of developing a serious blood disease, according to Tennessee health officials.

A total of 15 cases of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) have been reported among injection-drug users in the state since the new formulation of the opioid painkiller was launched in February 2012, David Kirschke, MD, of the Tennessee Department of Health, and colleagues reported in the Jan. 10 issue of the Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report.

"Healthcare providers who prescribe Opana and pharmacists who dispense it should inform patients of the risks from the drug when used other than as prescribed," they wrote.

Both the CDC and the FDA recently issued warnings about the link between Opana abuse and TTP -- a condition characterized by blood clots in small vessels throughout the body that can lead to organ damage.

Last August, a nephrologist reported three cases of TTP to Tennessee health officials, all of which had occurred in injection-drug users who lived in a rural county in the northeastern part of the state.

Health officials launched a statewide investigation and found a total of 15 cases of TTP among injection-drug users; 14 occurred in patients who reported dissolving and injecting reformulated Opana. There were no deaths.

Most of the cases (13) were women, who are generally at higher risk for TTP than men, and the overall sample ranged in age from 22 to 49.

Patients had reported symptoms characteristic of TTP, including nausea, abdominal pain, fatigue, and fever, officials said.

Investigators also conducted a case-control study, recruiting 28 controls from a state methadone clinic who'd injected drugs within the last 6 months. Seven had injected reformulated Opana.

Overall, they found a strong link between TTP and shooting up the reformulated version of the drug (OR 35.0, 95% CI 3.9 to 312.1).

It's not clear what aspect of reformulation could be causing the blood disorder. Another opioid painkiller subject to wide injection abuse, OxyContin, launched an abuse-deterrent formulation in 2010 but has not been linked to TTP, according to Tennessee health officials.

The inactive ingredients not found in the original version of Opana ER include polyethylene oxide (PEO) and polyethylene glycol (PEG) -- but officials noted that reformulated OxyContin also contains PEO and has not been tied to the same problems.

The condition could also have something to do with the methods of preparing the drug for injection, the researchers added.

They largely ruled out the possibility of adulterated product because at least two of the patients got their drugs directly from a pharmacy and all of the communities involved are far enough apart to make a single, nonmedical source unlikely.

"I would speculate that it relates to endothelial damage from a component of the new formulation," David Juurlink, MD, PhD, a drug safety researcher at the University of Toronto who was not involved in the study, told MedPage Today. "It's not likely the drug itself."

Indeed, no other opioids have been associated with TTP, though other agents, including platelet aggregation inhibitors, quinine, and cocaine, are known to increase the risk of the condition.

There are few data on occurrences of TTP in Opana abusers in other states. Health officials in Kentucky told MedPage Today that their state is also investigating "a couple of cases" of TTP that may be tied to Opana abuse but could not disclose more details of the investigation.

Opana drugmaker Endo Pharmaceuticals has been trying to block generic versions of its drug that do not contain abuse-resistance technology.

One such generic, made by Impax Labs, started shipping last week.

The FDA also recently launched guidance for industry on developing abuse-deterrent opioids -- an area in which the science is "relatively new," officials said.

The researchers reported no conflicts of interest.

The Opana you are referring to from 2013 is, I believe, no longer made. They were previously made of a silicone-like substance that turned to gel upon preparing for IV. The “rubber” Opanas as they were known ...the oxymorphone I inject now is indeed generic, but has a different formulation than either of the previous two kinds that were available. It is a round orange pill with a coating and an imprint of G74 on one side and nothing on the other. To inject this kind you must prepare it using isopropyl alcohol 91% or above. Several years ago I did contract the TTP mentioned in your article(from the “rubber” Opana”), as well as endocarditis. Having recovered from that I now use only the new, generic version. The stomach pains are odd however, because they’ve never happened before and only happen after I inject...another issue I’ve been wondering about is injecting blood that has started to coagulate...sometimes I will just hit a vein and therefore get the reflux return of blood, but the needle may slip out of that vein and I have to search for another site. Sometimes this may take 5-10 minutes, as my veins are not in good condition. And sometimes by that point the blood in my syringe has started to solidify but can still be pushed through the syringe. My other question would be is this mixture of blood safe to inject? My brain tells me that nothing that isn’t in pure liquid form would be safe, but I have done it for a very very long time now with no consequence so I am just curious...

Its Acid Reflux. Opiates can dilate the esophagus, causing an extremely sharp stabbing pain sensation. it happens to me all the time when I take opiates. Whether its H, PST, Hydrocodone, etc. Take a couple of tums or rolaids. That usually fixes the problem. I take protonix with that and it works extremely fast. (last time it was bad lol I had to take 2 protonix and 3 tums....)

Is the pain in the middle? Just below the sternum area (a couple inches or so +-)

It first happened to me when I tried PST. It was the worst pain imaginable. It had me on the ground rolling in pain.

Yes it is right in the middle below the sternum, maybe a little below. When I’ve had acid reflux in the past though it has always been accompanied by a burning sensation in my throat, which isn’t present with these particular pains..

Yes it is right in the middle below the sternum, maybe a little below. When I’ve had acid reflux in the past though it has always been accompanied by a burning sensation in my throat, which isn’t present with these particular pains..

Correct, its not the typical "burning" sensation that's usually accompanied with it. But acid reflux can give you a "sharp" or "tightening" type pain as well. But the burning sensation is more common. Take a couple of rolaids/tums and see if it helps. You might have to take a little more than what's recommended, but it should work. Good luck. (Im in the medical field)