View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Steroids slowly killing the gym-obsessed youth

poledriver

Bluelighter
Steroids slowly killing the gym-obsessed youth

677747-60de7ef6-bad3-11e3-9580-78f49dffd642.jpg

OLI Cooney was 20 years old and obsessed with working out.
The young man from West Yorkshire, UK, was similar to so many Australian gym junkies, devoting hours to his physique.

Unfortunately, this led him to begin injecting anabolic steroids to reach his ideal body weight.
Mr Cooney, who started training at the age of 16, suffered two heart attacks and three strokes but ignored repeated warnings to stop his hardcore exercise regime.
After being diagnosed with chronic heart damage he continued to train while telling his family he was “invincible and limitless”. By this stage he was in severe denial, had weakness down one side of his body and his speech had been affected.
On September 22, 2013, Mr Cooney collapsed at a friend’s house after a night out and died in hospital.
His death has been officially attributed to substance abuse this week at an inquest in Bradford, West Yorkshire.

Unfortunately, this led him to begin injecting anabolic steroids to reach his ideal body weight.
Mr Cooney, who started training at the age of 16, suffered two heart attacks and three strokes but ignored repeated warnings to stop his hardcore exercise regime.
After being diagnosed with chronic heart damage he continued to train while telling his family he was “invincible and limitless”. By this stage he was in severe denial, had weakness down one side of his body and his speech had been affected.
On September 22, 2013, Mr Cooney collapsed at a friend’s house after a night out and died in hospital.
His death has been officially attributed to substance abuse this week at an inquest in Bradford, West Yorkshire.

Doctors in Australia have also raised concerns about the impact of steroid use.
Dr Steve Hambleton, the head of the Australian Medical Association, said steroids are the country’s fastest growing injectable drug.
“We are worried because steroids can be sourced from anywhere,” he said. “They can have all sorts of side effects and affect everywhere in the body.”
Dr Hambleton said gym culture, “perfect body image” and sales and marketing campaigns all contributed to steroids’ popularity.
He said doctors are worried about female body image, but we should be worried about men too.

678200-63227258-bad3-11e3-9580-78f49dffd642.jpg

The negative side effects of inappropriate steroid use also include aggression, skin changes, hair growth, testicular atrophy and the development of liver cancers.
In Mr Cooper’s case the use of steroids led to him suffering heart attacks and stroke.
The injectable drug is becoming more common in Australia, with detections of steroids at the border skyrocketing from 1038 in 2010-11 to 6126 in 2011-2012, according to the Australian Crime Commission.
Many Australians have died from anabolic steroid use. For instance, 24 New South Wales residents died from anabolic steroid use between 1996 and 2012, according to the state’s Department of Forensic Medicine. All of them were men with an average age of 31.7.

Mr Cooney’s devastated parents want to warn others that steroids can kill.
His mother, Sarah Cooney said: “Oli was driven by a passion for bodybuilding and unfortunately it was that passion that took his life. We would not want anyone to go through the hell we have been through. We will never move on from this.”

678254-6294546e-bad3-11e3-9580-78f49dffd642.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fi...ymobsessed-youth/story-fnlsv23r-1226873678282

Many Australians have died from anabolic steroid use. For instance, 24 New South Wales residents died from anabolic steroid use between 1996 and 2012, according to the state’s Department of Forensic Medicine. All of them were men with an average age of 31.7.

Yeah, that sure is "many." 1.4 people per year in a state of 7 million.

If you cycle on and off so your balls don't atrophy and keep the doses of anabolics within human ranges steroids have almost non-existent risks. You aren't even taking something foreign to your body unless you use analogs.

I worked in the gym industry for around 5 6 years and just like ppl go looking online for drugs like RCS pharma, ppl find sources read about other ppls experience AMD go from there. So since these are pharm drugs the amt of cpunterfiets are rwdoculousm. A trainer I worked with who was stillbwaay to young and unmaxed to be taking juicebstarted BC UE thought it was his way to get swole without all the work. He used to border rpids online and one time he got an amp with a pic of a bull and the rest was in Arabic. So add the fact these are seriously powerful agents and you could be taking god knows what makes
It pretty dangerous. There isbdef a right way to do it and I've seen ppl get pretty crazy results but its so much on your body...I'll stick to xanax lol

I really dislike the hyper masculine obsession in society.
These people don't feel good about themselves unless they are 90% muscle, it's nothing more than a narcissistic personality disorder.

I'd rather feel good then look good, but I do both; only need drugs for the former.

Lol ye they tell me I look good for a geezer. Got a new phone and I'm still getting used to the new touch screen...wait maybe i am a geezer.

Steroids did not kill this young man. Steroids do not kill. What killed him was pre-existing conditions he had and possible narcotic use in conjunction with steroid use. He was warned by doctors to stop using steroids and working out so much but he didn't listen.

Idiocy killed him, not steroids. Steroids are never ever the definitive cause of death in a person. There are always other things going on.

Frank Zane is over 70 years old now I think and in perfect health. Hormones do not kill.

I have been using large doses of multiple steroids for almost 4 years now and my cardiovascular health has not changed (I have always had borderline high blood pressure), my liver is working fine, and my kidneys are fine.

Steroids are only dangerous if you use them with pre-existing health problems or combine them with narcotics and other drugs.

Last edited:
^ Why risk it?

Dr Steve Hambleton, the head of the Australian Medical Association, said steroids are the country’s fastest growing injectable drug.
“We are worried because steroids can be sourced from anywhere,” he said. “They can have all sorts of side effects and affect everywhere in the body.”

No thanks. Also like Medicine Cabinet was saying above if they are sourced from anywhere they can contain counterfeit drugs and could be harmful or deadly I guess.

Why would you be using large doses of multiple steroids for 4 yrs? Sounds pretty risky. Even if you think there is nothing wrong with your body's health, like the head of the Aust Medical association said in the above quote 'they can have all sorts of side effects'.

Steroids did not kill this young man. Steroids do not kill. What killed him was pre-existing conditions he had and possible narcotic use in conjunction with steroid use. He was warned by doctors to stop using steroids and working out so much but he didn't listen.

Idiocy killed him, not steroids. Steroids are never ever the definitive cause of death in a person. There are always other things going on.

Frank Zane is over 70 years old now I think and in perfect health. Hormones do not kill.

I have been using large doses of multiple steroids for almost 4 years now and my cardiovascular health has not changed (I have always had borderline high blood pressure), my liver is working fine, and my kidneys are fine.

Steroids are only dangerous if you use them with pre-existing health problems or combine them with narcotics and other drugs.

Sure the stupidity was part of it. However steroids are known to be very cardiotoxic.

If you do cardiovascular exercise on steroids the risk is nil. The bulky bodies who just lift are indeed hard on the heart but these deaths come from combining/stacking bizarre chemicals in addition to natural hormones.

Sure the stupidity was part of it. However steroids are known to be very cardiotoxic.

That's the biggest crock of shit ever invented by government propaganda. You know many people die a year as a direct result of steroids? Three. The source of that information is the CDC.

^ Why risk it?

No thanks. Also like Medicine Cabinet was saying above if they are sourced from anywhere they can contain counterfeit drugs and could be harmful or deadly I guess.

Why would you be using large doses of multiple steroids for 4 yrs? Sounds pretty risky. Even if you think there is nothing wrong with your body's health, like the head of the Aust Medical association said in the above quote 'they can have all sorts of side effects'.

What killed this kid was his preexisting condition. Not the steroids. If you are in perfect health there are virtually no side effects from steroids.

I been using steroids for 4 years and I am in perfect health. My doctors tell me to keep doing whatever it is I am doing. The only thing steroids have done is shrunk the size of my testes but that can be reversed by HCG injections or upon discontinuation of steroids.

There is no risk with steroids if you are in good health and use them intelligently.

^ how do you define or categorise "perfect health"?
I'm not asking this to be a smart arse, I'm curious.

Does mental health come into it? Is the perception that steroids give users irrational mood swings (so called 'roid rage) a myth perpetuated by propaganda?

I ask, because I know nothing of this kind of drug use, and agree that the public are deliberately misinformed about most other kinds of non-medicinal uses of drugs.

The is an excellent youtube video about it called "The truth about steroids". There is an old geezer body builder in perfect health who goes to the gym all the time.

If you are in perfect health there are virtually no side effects from steroids
I been using steroids for 4 years and I am in perfect health.

There is an old geezer body builder in perfect health who goes to the gym all the time.

"Perfect health" seems to be a commonly used phrase here.
Can anyone elaborate on what it means, exactly?
Am I nitpicking, or does the term "perfect health" sound like hyperbole?

I meant at least average health, better in the case of the geezer since old people tend to be less able bodied.

The is an excellent youtube video about it called "The truth about steroids". There is an old geezer body builder in perfect health who goes to the gym all the time.

Meaningless. A single case proves nothing either way.

Dur! Try watching the video, he is just one of those featured. Are you the type of person that believes in nothing based on philosophical grounds yet never investigates things for themselves?