• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Stem Tea?

FutureReference

Bluelighter
Hey all,

I have a medical card and from time to time take advantage of it. I suffer from PTSD after my time in the service and I see things I'd rather not discuss when smoking sometimes. Used to love it but now even Indica strains give me this paranoia and overwhelming sense of fear. Hit or miss but when I miss it is awful.

Marijuana worsens my anxiety but combined with my Oxy does help with pain from time to time. A buddy of mine said to save stems because the tea will fully remove all of my pain. In my younger years I made tons of firecrackers and edibles with cannibus infused butter. Never once made tea!

How would I go about this and does it truly help with pain? I am unsure of weight but I filled one of my medical containers with stems and it is now at the brim. Tons of different strains but mostly Indicas. I own one of these things for tea

I am wondering the best process to go about this and if the tea maker I have should be used or exactly how to do it? Thanks in advance!20190803_132945-1209x1612.jpg

A buddy of mine said to save stems because the tea will fully remove all of my pain.
Lies. Unless You have a massive tolerance to THC and Cannabis.
If You suffer from anxiety and PTSD. You should stay far away from what You are trying to do with these stems.

Eating Cannabis [especially with no toerlance] induces states of fear, panic, mania, and can instigate schizophrenia.

Be careful, Mate.

Last edited:
But if You are trying to follow through with this endeavor...

Decarboxylate the stems before brewing up some hot water for some tea.
Do not use the stems as for tea unless the stems are decarboxylated.

All You have to do is decarb. the weed, then put in into the tea.
You have to eat the all the stems to get an effect, however.

0.4-0.6 grams of stems is like a 20mg edible.

YOU HAVE TO DECARBOXYLATE THE STEMS TO ACTIVATE THE PSYCHOACTIVE MOLECULES OR IT WILL NOT WORK!!

Ok first off tea is a complete waste. The cannabinoids are not soluble in water, you essentially drinking nasty stem tea with little effects.

That said I do save stems and either do a solvent wash on them to remove the trichromes on the surface (smaller bud stems) or, the method I use almost exclusively today is making canna butter with them.

Put 14g of stems in with a stick of butter and two cups of water. Boil/simmer on a lower setting for 4-6 hours. Let cool slightly but still warm, then strain through cheesecloth into another bowl. Put in fridge and butter will harden on top.

Stems have a decent amount of goods left on them but don’t make tea..

-GC

boil the stems for 20 minutes - that will decarboxyllate them, i.e. remove the A from THC-A and will activate it as much as would smoking which also removes the A (O=C-O group)
then you can drink it.

I occasionally use opiates (I used to use them frequently) but I have found that eating my THC has great analgesic properties and really do help with my chronic pain.

You would need at least what you have in that photo, though. Maybe more. Decarb them, cover them with water in a kettle and add a tablespoon or so of butter or coconut oil. I would add an actual tea bag or some spices to flavor it, or even hot cocoa. Simmer it (drop the temp after it boils) for about 10-15 minutes and you have a delicious and relaxing hot beverage.

Fwiw, depending on the pain relief you're seeking, I highly recommend a THC bath bomb and some Epsom salt. The bath bomb won't get you high, but the relaxation is near instantaneous. (I like to smoke a joint in there ?)

Just made butter using stems and got high as fuck of the biscuits I made.. After doing a few water washes on the butter I gagged at the thought of drinking that crap when not necessary..

The fact is you know that white crap in the center of the stems? That shit seems to be pretty soluble in water whereas, again, the cannabinoids are not.

OP, or anyone reading this, do yourself a favor and make butter with em..

If you just HAVE to make a tea, do as the last poster said and add butter or coconut oil to it as well. Mix it up often to ensure the fats come intocontact with the stems. Once brewed and stems/tea bags have been removed, use a blender to froth it and temporarily mix the fats into the drink.

If you add some cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric and ginger, plus some honey.. That would be a good drink.

-GC

A couple issues with the whole stem tea thing. For one, you need a lot of stems to get anything out of it. Stems from decent bud usually has around 1% THC (though I'm sure it's variable and some stems may be significantly higher, this is just an average), as opposed to 10-20% or so which is average high-quality weed. So, you might need 10x what you usually use to get the same level of effects from stems. Let's say you usually use 0.3g of decent weed to get high, you could end up needing at least 3g of stems to get to the same level. Only it isn't really the same high, since the profile of cannabinoids in stems is different from flower. And generally doesn't tend to as good of a high. Still, it is possible to get high from them if you have enough, but you need to use something with fat to get the THC out of them. Or soak them in some sort of alcohol (e.g. vodka or something of the sort). If you just boil them in water like tea, you'll get very little of the THC. You do have a lot of stems there though, but don't be shocked if whatever you make from the stems doesn't really yield all that much, given the low THC content.

A friend of mine from university did this but his stems probably still had a bit of bud on them. Make sure you put milk into the tea. He used hot chocolate, added milk, and he got super high he said it was as though he had smoked 50 bowls of herb. Make sure you do not have anywhere to go for most of the day/night. Stay safe.