Starting to get fed up - Need advice

CMPLX

Greenlighter
Hey all,

So to start off I am fairly upset that I now find myself here having to make these decisions. I absolutely love drugs for many many reasons. Sadly after months of slowly recognizing many negative effects I am now faced with the decision that many of us find ourselves with, do I need to stop. Before I go any further I want to say that support groups very specifically have not worked for me personally. Something about letting others have this kind of knowledge about my life closes me off and makes me aggressive and defensive. I am looking for out of the box kind of solutions. My plan already includes improving my diet and exercise as well.

So first off you need a little backstory of some of my medical history and personal life to understand my triggers. I have minor to moderate bipolar. Don't just jump in with "this is likely caused by drugs", I actually went through a 2.5 year period of abstinence and during this time is when I finally sought help because my condition was actually becoming worse. I also have a shit ton of debt and my finances are a daily struggle for me. Finally I am transgender and this has increasingly made my sex life difficult. In general depression, anxiety, and lack of physical contact together lead to me desiring to use drugs to make myself feel better. It's a stupid reason and I am aware of this. Coupled with the positive light I shed upon drug use in general leads to me mostly not giving a fuck and deciding to indulge.

Now a little about the drug use and how I use them now as well as in the past. I began smoking pot when I was 15. From this time til I was 19 I experimented in literally anything I found out could make you high, excluding rare circumstances where it just simply was not available at all. I never developed any kind of addictions however, the only exception being weed. I started to focus on school from 19 til shortly after I turned 21 and abstained a great deal from everything. After I turned 21 my girlfriend of 5 years left me and it destroyed my world. I dove deeply into anything I could find. This led to me developing a serious addiction to meth. For a period of about three months I literally locked myself in my room at my parents house and kind of lost my mind. I began to not sleep fairly regularly and if I did it was when everyone else was awake. During the last month I went out of my way to avoid talking or being seen by anyone. My room was filled with trash and everything was torn apart, I was peeing in bottles and cups, it was very very bad. Thank god my friend came to my rescue because I probably would have soon killed myself. He came over and told me I had to come with him and I had no choice. I refused and he kicked in my door and forcefully took me to his truck. Instead of calling me out and making me feel guilty he simply took me camping for three days. That's all it took. From that point on for about two years I went through a period of complete abstinence trying to figure everything out. Finally things had improved so much in my life and my understanding of myself I decided to dabble again with much more constraint. At first this was responsible and controlled to an amazing extent. But for the last two years this has slowly changed into abuse again.

Now to the present. For the last six months I have consistently been abusing my adderall prescription. When it runs out and somehow I manage to set aside a little skrilla I have also been using rc stims, specifically 2-FA, EPH, 4-MEC, and even Hexen. I only use about a gram of any of those and only during the time in between scripts. This results in 5-10 days a month of sobriety, which is where all the negative effects have become crystal clear. During these days I deal with considerable depression, fatigue, agitation, and even flu like symptoms in certain situations. This has directly affected my work on many occasions, and in a serious way twice now. Work alone is actually the reason I am sitting here writing this as I don't want this to happen any longer.

I feel like I need some direction. The number one way I am going to be able to get out of this pattern is through diet and exercise, but I want to supplement this in some way. I have heard of people with bipolar using certain supplements to maintain proper dopamine levels which in turn leads to a decreased desire to use. I am also fairly certain that there is something out there I could start to regularly eat that may help this as well. My current psychiatrist has on more than one occasion explained that this a real problem for people have ADD and bipolar, and I have both so....

If you have any tidbits please let me know. Don't just reply with that's all you can do. Please help make this easier for me as I want to work towards a healthier and happier life.

Thank you for reading this.

In general depression, anxiety, and lack of physical contact together lead to me desiring to use drugs to make myself feel better. It's a stupid reason and I am aware of this.

It's not a stupid reason IMO. It's perfectly natural to respond in that way considering how we are built. You were under a ton of pressure with no relief in sight and living without physical contact is real torture for most humans. I find that it's rarely a good idea to consider one's actions stupid. Especially when you are just being human dealing with the struggles that humans deal with. Best of luck to you. If I have any advice it would be follow your heart/intuition no matter what anyone else thinks about it. At least if things go bad it won't be because you went against your own inner voice.

Hey CMPLX - welcome to Bluelight! I'm sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time, I can relate to how painful and frustrating it is to be stuck in an addiction cycle...its absolutely debilitating. You said you are bipolar - do you take any medications for it? If you haven't done so already, getting the bipolar stablized should be your first priority. I recommend that you work with a psychiatrist and psychologist who will work together to treat you. Most likely you need medication and therapy to accommodate this. Ideally see the psychologist and they can work with the psychiatrist to figure medication out. Also request that the psychologist give you resources to help you cope with bipolar. Be open to a variety of different tools and techniques.

Once you bipolar is more manageable concentrate on your addiction. You said you are not interested in support groups,!which is fine. There are a variety of different methods to help stop addiction. I think it would help you to become educated on addiction, would you be willing to attend such a class? Many city's have outpatient programs for addicts to help them learn about the nature of addiction and the different resources that are available to help addiction. These classes cover underlying reasons for addiction, drugs, the mechanisms in which drugs interact with the brain and body, recovery and recovery time, and many other addiction related topics. Keep in mind there will be other people attending the class but you do not have to share any personal details of you don't want to. Often some people do share personal details by partipating in discussions but it's not required. The class also gives you the opportunity to ask questions. Even if you choose not to speak in class you get to hear the thoughts and experiences of others and that can give you insight into your own issues. I attended one as a means to intervene in my addiction and I didn't speak once in class as I didn't want to divulge personal info.

Other options for addiction are one on one therapy focused on the addiction, which you can do with the psychologist. However, in my experience it is best to do this with somebody who is in recovery themselves as they can relate. Most of my therapists were never addicts and quit honestly working with them was a waste of time as they couldn't relate on any level.

Often addiction is a symptom of a larger issue. It sounds like your larger issue is bipolar, but there could be other factors as well. Once you get a handle on these larger issues resolving the addiction isn't too difficult. I will say that once you are completely abstinent it is normal to feel more depressed, anxious, and other negative emotions in early recovery. Some drugs have acute withdrawal symptoms from stopping, and most users often also suffer from protracted withdrawal (post acute withdrawal symptoms PAWS). PAWS can last for a few weeks to two years depending on he drug and duration of use. This occurs as your body begins to restore itself and regain balance (neurotransmitters, hormones, etc). Don't get discouraged if you encounter PAWS as its temporary and gets better.

Wow, I've written more than I intended. I will leave it this for now. Let me know if you hve questions or if you just want to discuss it. Good luck!

Here on Bluelight you are an anonymous user name and so the vulnerability of a face-to-face support group is avoided. Many, many people have come through the recovery forums (Mental Health, Sober Living and The Dark Side) using this platform as a support group with great results.

You are very wise to see diet and exercise as two very powerful and essential tools of recovery but the emotional component of addiction requires more. Being trans means that you have suffered quite a bit in regards to trust--trusting your own mind, trusting others to understand, trusting institutions, trusting intimate relationships. I can imagine that this has given you both incredible vulnerability and pain as well as incredible survival skills and courage. Healing a lack of trust from childhood is a monumental task and I don't really believe that it can be done without support. Humans are social animals and we have a paradox built into us: on the one hand we are aware of our existential aloneness and on the other we thrive when we create real bonds that we can trust. I hope that you will be able to use Bluelight as your support as you begin to build trust and faith in your own ability to heal. I have found the immediately accessible intimacy of this internet community to be very helpful in my own life and I hope it can be in yours.<3

Thank you guys. Not just for responding, but for taking the time to critical think out what you were going to say.

I have had a horrible horrible 24 hours. When I made the decision yesterday I was at a peak of a binge cycle. Normally I taper to a certain extent and then I'll abstain. Instead I decided I was going to burn through the stash. Whatever is going on my head made it so I had no enjoyment except for the initial increase I felt as each dose kicked in. It was more like every time I took one I was hopeful that this was the one that was finally going to make me feel better.

You may think me stupid, and it was rash what I did, but I knew I wasn't going to flush it and I needed it gone. Regardless I reached a point around 3am that I didn't even want to be high. So in both sober me and high me's mind I want to stop this cycle. This to me is fantastic.

Unfortunately last night, and the build up of this binges excessive use since Friday, I am extremely worn the fuck down. I can barely think straight. I am anxious, agitated, and feeling a great deal of despair.

So my plan is to focus on getting healthy amounts of vitamin c, some B12, I am going to take some valerian root and possibly some kava, and instead of falling into a terrible depression I am going to fall into the hobby I have(I'm sorry! I'd love to share it with you guys but I have several social pages connected to it and my personal identity and can't afford for certain people to find this out about me).

I have taken some pto for today and tomorrow. So I don't have many responsible kinds of things I have to worry about til monday.

I would like to help accelerate this process though. Supplements won't cut it, as they are to SUPPLEMENT my other behaviors. No, I am fairly confident I can speed this up through my diet and some light walks in some scenic areas though. And this is where I am stuck. Fruit, yes. Water, yes. Whole grains, somewhat. Vegetables, of course. All are "duh's" you know. I just feel like there may be some combinations of specific foods to help replenish the dopamine I so desperately need. I am not worried about the flushing, I only used this specific chemical for 5 days, with no prior use in over a year, but it did a number on my brain regardless. Who knows.

Once I begin to feel better I will let you guys know! Thanks soooo much for everything. It's very reassuring that there are people out there that choose to care instead of judge.

If you're going to focus on diet the best thing you could eat right now would be healthy fats and proteins. You need them to help restore chemical balance and to manufacture hormones and such - they are absolutely necessary. I would aim for at least .8g of protein / kg or body weight.

Cmplx -

i agree with herb. If you have a hard time being in support groups - Bluelight could be helpful.

I also have a very difficult time being open (I.e. - showing weakness) in my life. And even with the anonymity of BL, I still pick my words very carefully because my desire is to remain anonymous. But this community is absolutely amazing. I'm currently 10 days clean and I've probably spent about 20 of 24 hours a day on this site since my quit date. It helps me to wallow with others in their suffering when I am feeling down. Also, it helps me to try and pick someone up when I am feeling ok.

You are lucky to have a friend good enough to take you camping for three days. That's awesome. And it sounds like you have faced this before and survived. The diet and exercise are key, of course. But, Moreaux is right, therapy and understanding the underlying issue of why you use is important - that's why they say that it's the "staying clean" that is hard (as opposed to the "getting clean"), I think. If you only deal with your physical dependence, you will have a higher chance of relapsing. You should find a way to explore that and also medication for the bi-polar, if needed - like, ASAP.

However, if you are like me and are no more go to a therapists office than you are going to go live in the jungle for a decade...look into mindfulness. It's been really helpful for me. There is a moderator on here somewhere - toothpastedog, who has a mindfulness sticky that's got tons of resources. Do you know where the stickies are?

One last option, I really got a lot out of Rational Recovery and Refuge Recovery. They are both polar opposite. I feel like the Rational Recovery really is a focus for my "getting clean" stage and Refuge Recovery for healing afterwards.

I have had to spend a lot of time with myself in order to deal with my issues. And I'm nowhere near done - but, short of getting your ass in a therapists couch, which is way easier than my method not to mention more effective no doubt, this is the only thing I know of that might help.

Best of luck.

- VE

Hey all,

I just wanted to connect about a certain detail I wasn't very clear about. I most certainly am medicated for my bipolar and I am fairly good about taking it. Unfortunately I lost my talk doctor a while back, ironically because she asked me for prescription pain killers. I couldn't continue to go to her, even though she helped me soooo much with what we did get to talk about. This is the second time I have been burned by a therapist. First time I ever went to one instead of listening to my concerns with my mood, trouble sleeping etc the doctor told my mom he thought I was using crack or meth. He said that because they found a piece to a homemade bong I had made which happened to be a pen casing with some tinfoil at one end. It totally looked like a bad attempt at a jib I guess, but at the time it was still another three years till I decided to try meth. So long story short I have trouble trusting therapists because out of the two I have been to now I have been screwed over.

I love my psychiatrist but if I let her become apart of this it will muddy up a lot of things and I would rather just not. So I am going to make a real effort to find a doc, someone I can get back to dumping on so at least I can talk out all the shit I am dealing with instead of ignoring my problems as much as I can.

I totally tried to relapse, or maybe it's considered a relapse, I am not sure. But I scraped the baggy for remnants and went for a bump. Did absolutely nothing. And the act of scraping and desperately snorting that shit made me feel really awful about myself. I am considerably depressed now, so I chose to go to my parents house. I am just pretending for the sake of simplicity that I am feeling a down in my cycle in their eyes. I want to tell those I love but because of my history at this time it would hurt our connection and create mistrust. Whereas I can drop back on bipolar and they will be there for me in all the ways I need. Not if but when I make it through this and am laughing looking back is when I will tell them.

I have been somewhat active taking daily hikes but I have so little physical energy it's hard to even type this. God I am dreading going to work...

I am having crazy trains of thoughts today. I got grandiose ideas on how to proceed on one of my projects and then two hours later I am sitting here thinking about leaving the state and moving to Denver where I have a really good friend of mine. I feel desperate for change. I want something new. I need to feel life...I am also feeling hopelessly alone. I don't like this contradicting mindset. It's like I am being torn apart. I am lost as to what's important. I have to figure this out.

Good luck. I've been trying to figure shit out for over sixty years and the more I learn the less I like it. Loneliness really sucks bad. There is only one thing worse and that's being with other people. I'm serious, humans are so flawed (including me) that I just get lonelier being around them. I'm in my 60s and honestly there's been only two people I've really had serious respect for and they really don't like me much. lol. They respect me but not really like me. True story as far as I can tell.

I am having crazy trains of thoughts today. I got grandiose ideas on how to proceed on one of my projects and then two hours later I am sitting here thinking about leaving the state and moving to Denver where I have a really good friend of mine. I feel desperate for change. I want something new. I need to feel life...I am also feeling hopelessly alone. I don't like this contradicting mindset. It's like I am being torn apart. I am lost as to what's important. I have to figure this out.

I think it's normal to want change, but do you really want a dramatic change right now or are you really just looking for a diversion? Making a lifestyle change is tough and the type of lifestyle changes you are planning to make regarding drugs is not only difficult but extremely complex. It is a daunting task that is going to require a lot of work and effort on your part. To fully execute this lifestyle change you will essentially have to focus and be committed 24/7. It is monumental and I can see where making a smaller immediate drastic change can seem more appealing in the moment than settling in and dedicating yourself to the sober life. Your situation is even more difficult since you have bipolar. I think it's great that you are recognizing the impulsiveness of redirecting your attention to a different project - that shows great self awareness. The fact that your are questioning priorities also shows you have a good understanding with your bipolar and that you have non-pharmaceutical coping mechanisms to help manage it. I think you know deep down that your biggest priority should be the sobriety and continuing your progress with therapy and mental health. There is always time to move to CO, but is that a larger priority than getting in a better head space and getting clean? Since you are examining priorities I think you should make a list. What exactly are your current priorities, and what are your goals in life. Where do you want to be a year from now, five years from? How are you going to achieve those goals? You can set sub-goals, which may make the larger goals seem less intimating.

I had to do that with my recovery. Initially, I wanted to instantly get sober, however that wasn't completely possible. I found that I had to get sober in stages. I quit one substance and while I was going through withdraw and PAWS for that substance I focused on learning how to manage my anxiety. Once the symptoms of my withdrawal improved and I could manage anxiety better, I focused on the other problem substance, and then I focused on my OCD. My preference would have been to quit everything at one time and work on all my problems but that wasn't feasible for me. I wasn't thrilled about spending so much more time and effort doing it incrementally, but in the end it was worth it as I was able to achieve sobriety and manage my mental health without drugs and alcohol. I had spent seven years trying to get sober previously and always failed because it was too much. When I broke it up into stages I was successful and have now been clean for over two years, and mentally am the best I have ever been.

Personally, I think you should find a good therapist first. You sound like you have really put a lot of time and effort into getting healthy, you don't want to lose momentum as it's really easy to get distracted and then go backward. I think the binge is indicative that a therapist should be a priority as it is a big red flag. I think you need to spend more time working on the issues that are motivating you to use. If you can get those resolved, getting and staying sober isn't very difficult (easier said than done, I know). I commend you for going to your parent's house. I think that shows foresight and commitment as you put yourself in a safer, more supportive environment which really helps with relapse prevention. Also, please don't feel discouraged or ashamed of the binge and the subsequent bag scrapping, (though I give you credit for leaving remnants in the bag - I would have done that the night I emptied it). Relapse is part of the recovery process, it's not a failing on your part. It just let's you know there are still somethings you need to work on. Also, you only scrapped the bag - you didn't go out and get more and continue to use. You also went to your parents. I think you are being a little tough on yourself, you sound like you are doing well even if you don't see it. I do hope you start feeling better soon!

Good luck. I've been trying to figure shit out for over sixty years and the more I learn the less I like it. Loneliness really sucks bad. There is only one thing worse and that's being with other people. I'm serious, humans are so flawed (including me) that I just get lonelier being around them. I'm in my 60s and honestly there's been only two people I've really had serious respect for and they really don't like me much. lol. They respect me but not really like me. True story as far as I can tell.

This makes me feel so sad to read this Cosmic Trigger. I wish you would have had a different experience. I do think loneliness is a state of mind though maybe that's just me. I have always been introverted and was also an only child so maybe I just have a different perspective. It's so rare to find people you truly connect with and I'd rather be alone than waste time with people I can't relate to. Of course, there are always animals. As I've gotten older I have realized just how important the relationships I have with my pets are. They are so brief yet so precious. People will never love me like my animals do, and I cherish our time together. More often than not I would rather stay home and spend time with them than go out and social with friends. What type of relationships do you want with people Cosmic? What would take away your loneliness?

I switched to vyvanse as I know I will not be able to snort it and it's much more difficult to get high off of as well as having greater side effects when you do. So far it's been good and it's been a major relief to have the head fog lifted. Unfortunately I am still very much depressed. More bad things have happened in my life. I know I can do this. I want to be someone who doesn't abuse substances to feel something good. I want to be able to remember what it feels like to be happy without doing something shady and shameful.

Work has been unbelievably hard. I have less than zero motivation. I am hoping that all the little things will start to add up and soon I won't feel so terrible. Pray for me...

First off welcome to BL! This website has some really great people posting + links to resources. I've found this site to be tremendously helpful, I hope you can too.

So my old man has severe bipolar and requires medication. If he is off his meds (I would assume lithium and an antipsychotic) he is liable to do anything. Some of what you have wrote reminds me of him and his thought patterns. I haven't seen him in years, last I heard he is in some sort of assisted living home.

Have you tried taking medication for your bipolar? I know you mentioned finances are tight. Everyone is different, but my old man thought he could control his bipolar without medication ... which was a big disaster. As much as you might want to get off drugs, this should be something that gets looked at. This is a lifelong thing.

^OP has stated that he is on meds.

CMPLX, I like your user name. Life is complex. Making decisions is complex. Living fluidly with your decisions is the most complex of all! I think it is so natural to feel lost in life. I went through this much more when I was younger, then things evened out for years and now I'm dealing with that state of mind again. The difference is that when I was younger I interpreted this state of mind to be something wrong with me. Now, I acknowledge that it makes me uncomfortable but I'm aware that it is a freedom of sorts--after all, not knowing what I want to do or what direction I should go means that I see multiple possibilities! Way better than feeling stuck without options IMO.;)