Votes: 4 10.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

Pounding_Grooves

Bluelighter
curious to see what people think about this movie, couldnt find a thread on it.. is it exploitave b movie trash..or a serious critique of the nature of propoganda ( as the director claims in the dvd commentary)..all thoughts appreciated.. i vote for the latter ..if a mod can hook up a " rate this movie..poll, much appreciated)..here is the said thread on the directors views on the movie..makes for some very intresting reading ( esp how he compares it to us foreign poilicy and cnn propoganda parralells)....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120201/board/thread/5885107

It was too cheesy for me. It's not that I don't like cheesy movies--far from it--but there are cheesy movies that know they are, and ham it up accordingly, as well as cheesy movies that try to look serious, which I don't care for. "Starship Troopers" was the latter.

I don't know exactly what it was, but I simply couldn't connect with the characters or care about the plot. All of soldiers seemed little more distinguishable from each other than the bugs themselves. I need more than guns and cool shit blowing up to keep my interest. That said, James Cameron used the same formula in "Aliens", but he did it with far greater style, sensitivity, and structural tautness.

Still, I must say that I liked the special effects, as well as the "commercials" inserted into the movie a la "Robocop", which were a hoot. If it had had a little more po-mo irony like that, it could have been good. :)

In any event, the movie probably does little justice to Heinlein's book, which I've heard is quite good. As an aside, the novel "Starship Troopers" inspired Joe Haldeman to write "The Forever War" (my favorite sci-fi novel) as a sort of anti-war counterpart to it.

of course its cheesy..who the hell would have given him any $$$ after "(sh)hogirls... its not as if he could have got any a list actors...like i said DO, get the dvd ,,listen to the commentary..and see what u think... in case u dont/wont...heres some f the transcript.... pv=paul... ed=writer....

PV..I’m quoting here, an article of Richard Schickel in Time Magazine, who said that “maybe it’s saying that war inevitably makes fascists of us all”. Then of course he says that the best guess is that the filmmakers didn’t think of anything like that at all because they were “only concerned with the special effects”. But I can tell you that the movie is, in fact, in our opinion, stating that war makes fascists of us all.
EN: That’s true; that was the theme. And this, this opening was modeled on the “why we fight” films of World War II; in fact the movie was modeled on propaganda films made during World War II.
PV: Yeah they’re propaganda films from the American propaganda films, and of course there is also, a clearly undisguised statement about propaganda films of the Third Reich. In fact, it’s saying, of course, that this fascist propaganda, that is kind of apparent in the movie, should really be read, at least that’s how we meant it, should be read as something that is “not good”. So, whenever you see something that you think is fascist, you should know that the makers coincide with your opinion, thinking that it is not good, that it is not a good statement, and this is not good politics and if you see a black uniform you should also know BAD, BAD, BAD, you know, it’s very simple, you should not read it differently than that. We all agree with that, it’s bad, if you see Carl later in his black uniform, and when he makes certain statements – and we’ll come back to that later – then you know that it’s about “bad”.
EN: Yeah, when I was growing up it was always these films, these kind [sic] of action/adventure films, were always called “fascist”. I remember a lot of my really liberal friends always used to tell me that Robocop [another movie by PV&EN] was a “fascist” film. So I, I thought we just like should kind of go out and out {? All out?}, and sort of make a film that was essentially a fascist action/adventure film. So that’s what we have done.
PV: Yeah well, I would see it a little bit more nuanced [chuckles], because I feel that we are, we are certainly stating in the movie that we disagree with some of the premises that are said here - ...
[Classroom scene starts]
PV: Anyhow, we are back in, now we’re back in the movie here, I think, and we’ll leave the politics for some time, we can leave them alone...
EN: Well, this is the biggest political statement of the film! [Laughs]
PV: Although in f- Right, OK well forget about it, you go ahead here. [Laughs]
EN: Well, this is just where-, this is just showing how this society is completely oriented toward its political stuff, and they teach it in the schools, and it’s actually kind of a society that works pretty well - there’s no sexism, there’s no racism, later we’ll see that there’s very little crime, in fact they seem to have achieved the ideal sort of politically correct society – EXCEPT THAT we sort of question how they have achieved it, that they have achieved it.
PV: Yeah, because the political- most important political statement that is in this scene is Rasczak saying, in more-or-less at the point where we are now , where he says that violence is the supreme authority that solves everything, which is of course questioned by Dizzy but then of course not accepted by him. You could of course say that this kind of statements [sic] not so much going back to the Third Reich; I would say they are much more statements about American politics. I mean, the whole movie is about the United States, all statements are about the United States, it‘s not- or any superpower for that sake [sic], you know, you could say, as well for Russia ten years ago, or perhaps for China in the future, or for Germany in the past. But it’s certainly also talking about American politics NOW, and so it is really saying of course, as we have perceived in the last twenty, thirty years, that there is a tendency in American politics that if people disagree, that we would use power, and violence. I mean, very apparent now in the conflict with Iraq, but also clear in any conflict in the Middle East, especially of course the overthrown from [of] the Iran government before the Shah, or - I mean there is multiple examples [sic] of course, if it’s Panama or if it’s Vietnam - is just the idea that power and violence is [sic] always used at a certain moment when things take too much time to solve in a more democratic way. And I think that is what the movie – the statements, the political statements of the movie are about. I mean, that’s my opinion, but that’s – I mean that’s how I read the script. [Laughs]. I mean, he’s the writer, he can tell me that it’s not true, that it’s not about American politics, American politics are [sarcastically] “always benevolent”.
EN: Yeah, well, when we saved your ass in World War II... That’s absolutely true. No, of course...
PV: Yeah well, we are not talking about World War II, we’re talking – that’s the problem, it’s not about World War II...
EN: No, of course not...
PV: ...I think the statements are much more about everything that happened AFTER World War II, basically which have to do with – as well - with Panama, Grenada, or even subversially [sic] in Nicaragua, it’s really making statements about American social and political life.
EN: Yeah. Or, [as] you say, all through human history - and right now America seems to be the one at bad {? not completely intelligible}- but all through human history, the powerful write history, and the powerful decide how things are going to be done, and that is usually through violence.
[...]

sorry if that was longer than most want to read.... but i unreservedly dont apologise =D

sorry to post such a long ass post above, but i feel this movie is even more relevant in light of the current climate in the world..and esp in the case of how the current us administration sees the rest of the world.. thats why i started this thread...,peace

has anybody read the book which inspired this movie (i would hesitate to say the book on which this movie is based)?

it explores in significant depth a lot of interesting social and political issues which are only touched on in the movie:

starship troopers by robert heinlein

alasdair

yes, i have read the book. it bears little resemblence to the movie.

the movie is perhaps the worst adaptation of a book ever made.

i agree to a point micheal, its not as if its a "filmable " book, i really feel he did a half decent job, to be honest i saw the movie a few years back , thought it was some half assed b movie with nudity with some semi " satirical" points, ..but i went back and saw the commentary and it changed my whole view of the movie...now whether the director meant the movie to be a satirical viewpoint..( seeing as the commentary was recorded years after the movie was made) remains to be seem... however the dvd commentary gives food for thought...

ie. If a film doesn't very closely mirror it's inspiration, then it is dismissed as "unworthy" to the fans of the book.

i'm not sure if that is in response to my comments but i agree with you.

my post simply acknowledges that the book and movie share a name, some ideas and characters but very little else.

i'ma big fan of starship troopers in all its over-the-top glory.

alasdair

Last edited:
Originally posted by
I haven't read the book, but I have to say that it kind of annoys me when people compare a novel and a film so literally.

it's hard to not compare them literally when you have a great book reduced to the pile of piss that the movie version is.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed starship troopers. Nomatter howmany times ive seen it it is still fun to watch. Unfortunatly the second starship troopers was very B grade and didn't quite live up to the standards of starship troopers one in my oppinion.

Um, i somehow get the i feeling that this thread was inspired by my comments in the most hated movies thread... ;)

If you want refer back to my response in that thread... (dont worry, not too long or boring just felt the need to quickly explain)

I totally understand where your coming from in that this movie talks about some very serious social issues and i totally agree with the message... BUT i personally thought that the movie wasn't strong enough to uphold the deeper meaning... and that's *really* annoying cos i would have loved it too :)

Perhaps i should read the book..

I love this movie - over the top cheese and all.

I appreciate books probably more than movies, but when it comes to adaptations of books to me, its apples and oranges really. So yeah, I'm basically saying I disagree with Michael on this one (just like I did on LotR).

Originally posted by
It is impossible to convey the number of thoughts and descriptions, etc. in a 90 minute narrative film that exist in a full length novel.

perhaps, perhaps not. to leave out one of the largest plot devices in the book was incomprehensible.

I put it to you, that you would not have been satisfied, no matter the translated result.

i put it to you that perhaps i would have been had the movie not completely sucked.

Last edited:
I liked this movie. Plenty of mindless but fulfilling action combined with political commentary/satire.

I thought it was well done.

I would rather eat a steaming pile of crap than watch this movie again---the book however, is in my top 5