View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

St John's Wort with other drugs

terarc

Bluelighter
I'm taking SJW supplements for a couple of weeks as I over indulged in MDMA recently and find it really speeds up my recovery.

Anyway it just so happens that these few weeks are my easter break from uni studies and if the weather is nice I might decide to take a trip with my girlfriend or some close friends. Mainly I was wondering if there is any interaction between SJW and either 4-AcO-DMT, Mescaline or Nitrous Oxide as those are the only drugs I'd be considering. I know SJW is a weak MAOI so may strengthen the psychedelics and NOS and SJW both affect NMDA so there may be some interaction there. However I cannot find much info online and am mainly just looking if there are any dangerous interactions possible here, I'm not too worried about it simply amplifying effects as I will just accordingly adjust dosages. Thank you!

I think you could eat the entire worlds supply of St johns wort and still not get enough MAOI effect to activate a single dose of DMT.

Yeah thats what I thought. Is there any other potential interactions though? Does the supposed NMDA antagonism of SJW combined with the NMDA antagonism of NOS pose any risk? Seeing as there is little info I figured these combos will be fine but I don't want to take unnecessary risks

St. John's Wort isn't an MAOI.

At first, hypericin was wrongly attributed as being responsible for the antidepressant activity of St. John’s Wort extracts. It was claimed that this compound exhibited MAO-A inhibiting properties[19], but finally it was demonstrated that this was due to an impurity of the hypericin that was used for the assay[20].

19 Suzuki O, Katsumata Y, Oya M, Bladt S, Wagner H (1984) Inhibition of monoamine oxydase by hypericin. Planta Med 50: 272–274

20 Bladt S, Wagner H (1993) MAO-Hemmung durch Fraktionen und Inhaltsstoffen von Hypericum-Extrakt. Nervenheilkunde 12: 349–352

St. John's Wort and its Active Principles in Depression and Anxiety. Walter E. Müller (Editor). 2005. DOWNLOAD p. 7