Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

St Johns Wort and MDMA

CaptainWhisky

Greenlighter
Hey folks,

Could really do with some guidance here. I have been taking St Johns Wort since Monday (18th Feb) I have only been taking 300mg a day so far. I was at a party on Friday and ended up doing a couple of small lines of MDMA, I have heard that it is potentially dangerous to mix these two drugs. The day I took the MDMA I did not take any SJW.

Should I be concerned about this at all, or is 4 days on SJW nothing to worry about????
Furthermore, should I start taking SJW again today or tomo??? Or leave it longer?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Hop on out of the pool man, no SWIMing here ;) I edited your post for you real quick.

There is an interaction between the two, but honestly it's almost completely unknown as the actual action behind SJW by itself is not really known. If you already rolled there really isn't any worry, but I would probably stop taking the SJW everyday anyways.. personally I found it to work MUCH better when only used sporadically on days you need a little mood lift.

It's a weird drug really, I'd probably just avoid it.

Thanks for the reply ;) So you don't think I should be concerned about any Serotonin Syndrome or anything like that? I have began taking SJW to help me with some depression I have been going through. Do you not think it is a very beneficial drug?

I think a healthy diet and exercise would be much more beneficial at treating depression than SJW personally. It didn't really help me.. the first few days were alright, but it seemed to develop tolerance very fast and after taking it for a week it did almost nothing anymore.

Like I said, it worked much better for me when using only every few days when I needed a moon lift

I wouldn't be concerned though.

Please don't bump your own threads if they are still on the main page, someone will get around to you eventually :)

I personally have combined SJW with MDMA and Amphetamine and still rolled quite well, infact feel like it may have potentiated it somewhat. However I deffintly do nto reccomend it.

Like Folley mentioned, there is no real confirmed mechanism of SJWs purported effects, there is speculation of MAOI action which is where combining it with a monoamine release like MDMA or any amphetamine could lead to an adverse event such as serotonin syndrome or hypertensive crisis.

On a side note, I find SJW to be helpful at times allthough I don't take it very often. People will have their own opinions and varying thoughts on its effectiveness - my personal opinions is that I feel within a few hours of taking it a subtle mood lift and out of nowhere find myself saying, "hey today aint so bad :)" then I remember taking SJW earlier on.

Then again I have never come accross stories of anyoen running into problems with SJW combined with MDMA but have with a few other substances instead of MDMA. Some people have used SJW to even succesfully regain/restore MDMA's effects after long term use.

Do you think it will ok to start the SJW again? I do feel it was helping me, though it might be a bit early to tell. The MDMA should be out my system by now shouldn't it??

Sorry for all the questions but I tend to worry about these things a little too much and panic. I don't want to risk doing anything that will make things worse.

If it's been 24 hours than you can take it with little worry. As I said though, I also found the drug to "work"... but only for a few days really. Repeated everyday use made is seem almost completely ineffective, so I would just use it on certain days.

You'll be fine though

If it's been 24 hours than you can take it with little worry. As I said though, I also found the drug to "work"... but only for a few days really. Repeated everyday use made is seem almost completely ineffective, so I would just use it on certain days.

You'll be fine though

Well from what I've read about SJW you are meant to take it everyday for periods of 1-3 months for it to be properly effective??

Well, I'm just saying how it seemed to work best for me. YMMV, of course.

You'll probably want to do some thorough research on it and decide if you want to continue using it or not, I can't make that decision for you.. not in good taste at least :)

No worries, thanks for the reply. I'll be sure not to risk mixing these two together again. Hopefully I'll be ok, I'm sure I would know by now if it would have caused me any real damage right?

Oh yeah dude, you're FINE to take it now haha.. 48 hours would be plenty of time to wait in between the two

i know this is super dead but im just looking for a bone here. ive been taking sjw pretty consistently for 3 weeks but within the last week i definitely decreased my dosage (its spring break and ive been forgetting to take it). i havent taken any for about 24 hours or so i believe. anyway would it be safe to take a small amount of mdma tomorrow? no more than 200 mg im just concerned about negative interactions between the two. there is very little definitive answers as to how sjw actually affects the brain so im just really unsure about how the two may react if taken together

I remember that MDMA with SSRI's is not risky, it simply blocks the MDMA. Then there are other drugs with this action that when combined are a risk for SS and to much Serotonin release, like DXM. It would be great if somebody could share the difference here and what the factor is that results in a blocking action and in others a potentiating action?

With that said i would summarize that MDMA with another drug that is not one of the others mentioned above (like dxm) should be fine. Not sure what class Jt Johns is though. Please confirm what i said also, i may be wrong.

I'm just gonna use this thread, better than opening a new one.

I heard from a friend that he uses SJW daily betwen rolls, starting 24h after doing MDMA and stopping 3 days before. He says he rolled better and he felt better the week after rolling.

Is it placebo or is there really some sort of "serotonin repair" going on with SJW?

I concider trying it for a few weeks before my next roll.

Thanks.