• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

SSRI's & Opiates

GreenGnome

Greenlighter
Hey All! I am just looking for some insight on the interaction between SSRI's and Opiates (Excluding Tramadol). I have read in various places on the interweb that SSRI's dampen the effects (Euphoria) of opiate use, or even come close to blocking such. I have recently been prescribed an SSRI, and am looking for any insight. Thanks

I have not noticed any dampening of pain-killing effects, but SSRI's do tend to give a speedier aspect to opiates for me, which means that the sedation (which i enjoy thoroughly) diminishes. So yes, for me, it decreases the high TO A MINOR EXTENT, but does not decrease the pain-killing effects

Well Zoloft is an inhibitor of CYP2D6 ( an enzyme in the liver) which is responsible for a lot of the effects of Oxycodone and Hydrocodone. You would potentially see reduced effects due to CYP2D6 being inhibited.

Since this thread is here, I might as well ask the interaction between celexa and oxy or codeine

I believe citalopram (celexa) is a more mild Cyp2d6 inhibitor so will still cause some reduction in effects. You could still experience some effects if you are on a low dose of SSRI but the effects will still be somewhat reduced.

this doesnt make any sense because cimetidine and white grape fruit juice are cyp2d6 inhibitors, if i recall correctly, and they both potentiate opiates. So IF these SSRIs have any inhibition of this enzyme, they should in theory also potentiate opiates

Codeine is converted to morphine via CYP2D6, if cyp2d6 is inhibited there is decreased morphine therefore decreased analgesic effects. Pretty sure the concept is the same with grapefruit juice. I think the juice helps due to other factors.

Actually I never found taking grapefruit juice with codeine worth my while Unlike with pods or even methadone

Wouldn't it being an inhibitor only make the concentration of the drug higher within your system or at least bloodstream? Because if the enzyme is inhibited, its not "digesting" such chemical compound at a regular rate, thus less if a rush, but a longer lasting feel due to the increased concentration waiting to be digested? Possibly also increasing angelestic effects and lowering euphoric?

Sorry for the run ons, but does that kind of make sense? That's the way I understand it from my own personal research and such facts stated above.

theroux, it does tend to work that way with codeine, but OP was talking about hydro and oxy, so my statement still stands

I take zoloft 100mgs and Welbutrin daily and when I take kratom I still get quite a kick out of it. I've also taken kratom while not on an ssri and noticed no difference.

Well Zoloft is an inhibitor of CYP2D6 ( an enzyme in the liver) which is responsible for a lot of the effects of Oxycodone and Hydrocodone. You would potentially see reduced effects due to CYP2D6 being inhibited.

That's not true, it's just codeine and tramadol. Those have to be metabolized by CYP2D6 to work so SSRI's like Cymbalta (a CYP2D6 inhibitor) is a no-no with those two. I take an SSRI and it has no effect on either Oxy or Hydro.

Apologies was kinda high why I wrote this, got too focused on codeine for some reason. Also pharmacologically speaking the hyrocodone is turned into hydromorphone via Cyp2d6 but from various case studies it seems that this does NOT change the effects felt from oxy/hydro when taking a cyp2d6 inhibitor.

So you would feel the effects of oxy/hydro still but not so much with codeine. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you all for your insight. I would just like to add my personal experience. As I asked this question as these prescriptions were suggested by my doctor. I wanted some insight before I decided to take them. While this is only a tiny aspect of it it was still a question I had.

I have been in wellbutrin for quite some time and it was recently suggested I add Zoloft to the mix. I started to take it, and I noticed a change only after day 2. I know it takes several weeks, while I didn't notice a change in mood, there was a change in my body/brain for sure. When dosing oxycodine thereafter, I did not feel at all. I only kept dosing to the point of general discomfort and nausea. A dose much higher then typical. I knew that the combination of medications have no inhibited the pain medication.

Now after a little over a week in an ssri, I had stopped dosing. As the days progressed I disliked the effects more and more. The generall fogginess and disasoiative feelings. So I cannot conclude if the general feelings of ixycodone were inhibited by the combination of other medications or if it was inhibited by my general poor reaction to the new prescription of Zoloft.

Just thought I would add my experience. I hope the experience in combination with all of your posts will only help others in their harm reduction. So again, thank you.