View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

SSRIs and Mescaline?

wizzletheif

Greenlighter
My dog is currently with a girl dog who is on antidepressants. She says she's on a "high" dose, but won't say specifically her dose, nor the same of her medication.

My question is therefore rather general in nature, but would my dog's beloved be able to take mescaline safely?

Here are some reports I found.

-----

SSRIs work in part by downregulating serotonin receptors which means they generally dull the effects of psychedelics, as well as possibly changing qualitative effects. The biggest question
is probably tripping while depressed enough to require antidepressants. Psychedelics are very powerful drugs and they can easily worsen preexisting conditions. It is generally advised not to
use recreational drugs while taking psychiatric medication.

-Transform (BL)

-----

Lexapro basically negated the effects of very high dose of mescaline-containing cactus. I started to come up but it quickly petered out, and a supplementary dose a few hours in produced
no additional effects.

-stillmind (BL)

-----

Expect the same as with Psilocybin Mushrooms - it'll almost certainly be weakened, but how much depends on the dose you're taking, how long you've been taking the medication, and your individual reaction. You can go by your experiences with shrooms as a general guideline, and it's likely the effects will be reduced by a similar amount, but of course, don't let this make you dose way too high - it's better to come in with a lower dose and be underwhelmed and to work up than to take too much.

-Jesusgreen (BL)

-----

Safe, but SSRIs reduce the intensity of the trip. With mushrooms (similar), I find that being on 20mg of fluoxetine reduces intensity of trip 30 to 50%. Mescaline should be similar.

-elphologist (DMT-Nexus)

-----

On Zoloft, took what was supposed to be mescaline a few times and had pleasant experiences. I would agree that if anything the SSRI's will lessen the effects. Never the less, I'd be safe
and try a fraction of a dose to make sure your cool.

-MR. KITTY (DMT-Nexus)

-----

You should probably ask your psychiatrist, and follow their advice... I would say don't use any other drugs when your on antidepressants. Take the time to heal your mind and get off them, once your back to normal functioning levels then you can start playing in this field again.

-antichode (DMT-Nexus)

-----

SSRIs will probably reduce the effects of any tryptamine or phenethylamine psychedelics that you take while on them. You have to stop taking the SSRI for a while before you take either mushrooms or mescaline. How long depends on the half-life of the SSRI in question. I would recommend waiting at least 2 half-lives.

-5-HT2 (BL)

-----

Please, please don't stop taking your SSRIs, even if for just a few days. Withdrawal sets in pretty quickly, and it's a bitch and a half. Mescaline actually works on norepinephrine, as opposed
to serotonin, which SSRIs do not effect (at least as much). I took mescaline precisely for that reason, and I had a fantastic trip that seemed to be just as intense as my friends who weren't
on meds. Have fun, but *please* don't stop taking SSRIs cold turkey!

-missusmadness (BL)

-----

People seem to have different results from these combinations. I know a great many people who say it hasn't significantly affected their dosing. Others say a slight increase... say 1.5xdose,
is sufficient to get them where they want to be. For some it might be double the dose, and for some it might mute some effects while leaving others untouched--eg taking away euphoria or wonder, but leaving the visuals.

-InterestingFACT (BL)

-----

IMO, people who struggle with anxiety often have rough times on psychedelics. I'm not a doctor, but if the SSRIs aren't a problem, I'd say keep in mind that she should dose in moderation.
I think psychedelics have a lot to teach people with anxiety as well, just keep the benzos on hand.

-redditkindasuckshuh (Reddit)

Last edited:
(I did not read the above reply so my mistake if I say the same thing)

I have never been on SSRi's however in a theoretical-pharmacological sense they should lessen the effects of any psychedelic. Subjectively what that translates to though is not something you can predict, nor something we can predict for you.

Before doing this though, since there is some reason you are depressed enough to take an SSRi to begin with, I would question whether or not this is the best idea. However that is something you have to decide for yourself.

That said, I can tell you that in my experience being the supplier of fun to my friends trippy parties, those who have been on SSRi's have always been able to trip still. Whether or not the effects were lessened is impossible to know but they all reported a full trip. However none of these were with Mescaline specifically. The closest chemical to mescaline which has still produced a full trip for SSRi users that I have known is the 2C-x family. The structure similarity to mescaline can sort of provide an extrapolated version of the answer to your question, but it is still not much of one.

Regardless though, if you have actual mescaline, I highly advise to be smart with when you use it, and to cherish the drug. Its a magical chemical that is expensive and hard to find. So if there's even a hint of doubt in your experience (ie:being on an SSRi) I would just hold it and wait until you are off the drug so as not to meddle with the experience of mescaline.