• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

SSRI replacement

RowdyMic

Bluelighter
Are there any SSRI’s or anti psychotics that don’t block serotonin and dopamine?

Mmm cos Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic not an SSRI. So unless OP meant “antidepressant” rather than “SSRI” specifically...

Mirtazapine and Amitriptyline are good alternatives to SSRIs/SNRIs.
Good? Alternatives? Ummm... have you ever been on TCAs or SSRIs? Neither are good, both should be made illegal/heavily regulated, but TCAs especially should just be ditched by the curb. Terrible, terrible drugs. If they weren't so terrible no one would have bothered inventing the slightly less terrible SSRIs/SNRIs.

Good? Alternatives? Ummm... have you ever been on TCAs or SSRIs? Neither are good, both should be made illegal/heavily regulated, but TCAs especially should just be ditched by the curb. Terrible, terrible drugs. If they weren't so terrible no one would have bothered inventing the slightly less terrible SSRIs/SNRIs.
No I haven’t. I just got out of the doctors office we’re going to stop these types of medicines and see how it goes. Rolling the dice here and a bit sketched but I can’t take anti psychotics/anti depressants/ SSRI’s anymore. I don’t have many episodes and I don’t think I should be dealing with all these side effects for no reason. I have enough Zyprexa in case of an emergency along with Xanax just in case I feel a manic episode coming.. and from what my doc said, zyprexa is good for early cure of a manic episode.

They more likely bothered to invent slightly less terrible drugs (SSRI's/SNRIS's) to make more money.. until a few years down the line they'll invent some more slightly less terrible drugs.. and so on, and so forth...

I agree though. Most antidepressants should be more way more heavily regulated and not prescribed so freely and easily..

They're dangerous, unpredictable, side-effect-ridden, and incompatible with a number of drugs that are much better for your mental health.
You just described every drug, legal and illicit.

When you say other drugs better for your mental health... are you by any chance talking about illicit ones like mushrooms, LSD, MDMA and ketamine?

You just described every drug, legal and illicit.
I disagree.
When you say other drugs better for your mental health... are you by any chance talking about illicit ones like mushrooms, LSD, MDMA and ketamine?
Yes, any of those would have a better chance at flipping over depression, with significantly fewer uses rather than daily, save maybe MDMA because it's a serotonin releaser and that'll leave you feeling drained.

But I also mean benzodiazepines, opioids, basically anything outside stimulants have low side-effect profiles in comparison and a better chance at helping you kick depression. Physical addiction obviously is of no concern to a doctor, seeing as SSRIs can have some of the worst rebound/withdrawals of any drug class out there. I don't see any difference in a doctor helping you out with 'narcotics' being that SSRIs can and will leave you feeling worse in the end.