• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

SSRI of choice?? Is there a best?

DjPlayd0h

Bluelighter
I'm going into the doctor next week for a variety of things, and I'm guessing based on whats going on he will probably end up giving me some prozac or something. If there is an SSRI to get, which would everyone recommend? I hear you can't have an orgasm while on prozac, so that is a bit of a bummer, but in terms of one working the best, is there a clear winner? Anyone with personal experience on anti-depressants please share your info. Thanks a lot.
DJ Playd0h

Personally I think SSRIs are a load of crap and that you'd do MUCH better trying to treat your depression through psychotherapy (Jungian or Transpersonal, psychedelically assisted or not)... but putting that aside, different SSRIs affect people differently. Many times doctors will try you out on several different ones at different dosages until they find one they think "works" the best with the least side effects. Prozac and Zoloft seem to be the most common.
I'd still say go find a good therapist.

any SSRI will decrease you're sex drive. you can have an orgasm on prozac, it's just tough. as far as i know paxil is one of the strongest (correct me if i'm wrong). but different ones work for different people for some reason. you might actually go through a few different kinds before you find one that helps you.
peace, outkast

Yeah, I tend to think they are a bunch of shit also. Another question, how long after going "on" an SSRI would one have to wait to be able to have a good roll? Say you were on them for a few months, how long would it be until you could take a pill and have it affect you?

Tell that to the many people who's lives have changed because of anti-depressants, such as S.S.R.Is. For some people, therapy alone is not going to work. For these people, therapy will not raise their transmitter levels back to where they should be (making them happy), and these drugs provide the needed boost. These drugs are not a cure for depression, and should never be used as the sole treatment. I will add, when I say depression, I am not talking about your every day blues, but true clinical depression that is interfearing with one's ability to conduct their life.
------------------
"I have discovered that common sense is quite uncommon" My name here

I'd smack you if we didnt already have one runaway off topic thread in this forum about voodoo psychiatry.

I used to always think that anti-depressants were a placebo type affect that is until I tried effexor. I was clinically depressed for about a year..im sure mdma didnt help but anyways I've only been on effexor for a week and a half and I honestly didnt expect to see any difference but I notice I do feel happier and when Im not taking xanax I almost feel speedy. I notice im much more talkative and smile more. Such a drastic immprovement from a few weeks or a month ago. Effexor is one of the newer antidepressants and is the first one I tried besides elavil which doctors dont even give out anymore but I went to a family care doctor who had no idea what he was doing. So if your really depressed maybe you should try effexor. Some of the side effects can be annoying but mental stability is more important. I hope your doctor gives you something good...sometimes it takes a while to find the right med.
*Jessica*
------------------
The scene is what you make of it.

Damn Murple, now you have reduced yourself to making personal threats.
------------------
"I have discovered that common sense is quite uncommon" My name here

I have read that you can have depression and anxiety at the same time, has anyone here heard the same thing? In these cases, what would a typical doctor prescribe, SSRI's and/or Valium or other benzo's?
DJ Playd0h

ENUF! No more of this "modern medicine is a crock of shit brought on by the pharmacuticalKonspiracy, you can achieve inner peace through meditation and yoga" VS "it is not a crock of shit, it works" .. no one will change anyones mind..
Personally, I say hey, whatever works... I use chemicals to control most every aspect of my life, and I am in my happy place for it.. the day is started with amphetamines, managed with narcotics, and Wellbutrin and ended with benzodiazepines.. some would rather "eat right" or "go for a jog" - hey, I wanna sit on my fucking computer eating grease-soaked food and various pharmacuticals - as I look at my desk, I have 9 differn't bottles of medication .. I depend on these to live a happy life.. many people would consider this to be self-destructive - so what, it's *MY*SELF..
------------------
"When I saw the extent of my empire, I wept, for there were no more nations to conquer"

DJPlayo, i know that with social anxiety, they will perscribe an SSRI, namely Paxil. For some reason i think i remember reading that both benzos and anti-depressants shouldn't be taken in conjunction with each other. i believe they would perscribe an anti-depressant in this case. also, my friend has been on prozac for a long time, and can still roll while taking it. whether his roll is as strong as it should be or not, i know prozac will not fully suppress a roll. i also think i remember reading that prozac has a half life of 30 hours, so being off it for a couple days should allow the full effects of the MDMA. someone please correct me if i'm wrong on any of this.
peace, outkast

I want to hear NYTFLY's take on this- What do you think of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Paxil, etc.?
------------------
Raving is the wave of the future.

very well put phreex, it couldn't have been said better, let people do what people need to do to live the life they want to live. if you dont agree with someone's way of living then dont live that way. someone on this board has a wonderful quote as their signiture (sorry im to lazy to go find who it is) but it goes something like "i do not like the drug you are using, but i would give my life for your right to use it." one of the best things ive heard in a while (the best is that my 2c-t-7 was shipped out on tuesday, hehe)

What do you think of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Paxil, etc.?
Depends on your condition. For serious dysthymia with melancholia (reccurent depression and depressed all the time, inactive, etc.) without much anxiety, the extremely selective and potent SSRI's seem to have the best results, namely Paxil and Celexa. For those with a lot of anxiety and depression that cycles (Called recurrent short-term depressive episodes) (NOT bi-polar; there is a difference!), the broader neurotransmitter effecting ones usually show the best results, namely Zoloft and Effexor. Wellbutrin is good for depression and lack of energy and drive, but not usually anxiety as it can exacerbate it (without the addition of a benzodiazepine or something like Buspar). Prozac is good for mild depression and those who are side-affects adverse.
There are other things to consider as well, such as side-effect profiles etc...I still think SSRI's are waaaaay overprescribed, and often those who need help the most should be taking tricyclic's like Imiprimine but instead are taking non-selective and weak SSRI's like Prozac. Most psychiatrists worth their salt will custom-prescribe to each patient. But you must always remember, by the way, that these drugs don't work without simultaneous intense therapy and often important lifestyle changes.

Celexa, Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil - they are all about the same with only minor differences in effects.. Wellbutrin, despite what others say, does, in fact, selectively inhibit the re-uptake of dopamine - but it's primary action is still not fully understood - no, it is not "pharmacutical cocaine"..
As for which one is "right" - who knows? I went through a number of SSRI's (Zoloft, Paxil, and Prozac) as well as TAD's imipramine (Tofranil) and amitriptyline (Elavil) - none of them did me any good.. I seemed to be hypersensitive to them all - even in the lowest doses I would get that horrid feeling - the same that many stupid teenagers report when they decide to take a handfull of Prozac, in hopes of getting a pharmacutical "blow up".. for me, Wellbutrin did it - of course there is a fair amount of anxiety it induces, so it is countor-acted with Klonopin .. the practice of prescribing benzos with SSRI's is very common..
So try a few things and see what works for ya.. give each pill a few weeks, play with the dose, and see what fixes yer broken brain - forget the notion of having your dose regulated by your doctor too - self-medication is alright as long as you keep the dose within reason..
If you're just looking to get high, then don't lie to yourself and say you're trying to alieve depression - if you want to get fucked up, then remember, you're not MEDICATING, you're getting high..
------------------
"When I saw the extent of my empire, I wept, for there were no more nations to conquer"

btw, moving this one to medical Q & A
------------------

With regard to the comments made by "outkast" relating to the half-life of Paxil, Prozac, etc.
I am not sure (off the top of my head) exactly what the half-life of Prozac is and I am too fucked to go and look it up, but I am sure of the following...
The half-life of Zoloft is about 26 hours, and the half-life of Paxil is about 21 hours.
If you have a bad reaction to Zoloft or Paxil, symptoms last for a week or two after ceasing treatment, but adverse side effects after taking Prozac can last for up to six weeks.
Something to bear in mind if you're thinking of doing E as well.

Wow, thanks for the responses.
I ask because recently my psychologist told me that it wouldn't be that bad of an idea to put me on anti-depressants. I know I would need to go to a psychiatrist for that, and I really like the psychologist I am working with right now.. I mean, I do think that it would be a good idea in that I suffer from depression a great deal. Also- I tend to have a very difficult time concentrating, not to the point where I would need to be put on an ADD medication, but if there were any anti-depressants that had similar actions, that would be nice. Wellbutrin sounds like a good one. My mom was most recently put on Celexa and that is why I asked about that one..
The thing is, I still would like to continue to use drugs recreationally, like Ketamine, MDMA, some hallucinogens and various pharmaceuticals. I was just wondering if these anti-depressants really work and if they would actually make me not want to self medicate myself with illegal drugs?? I mean, if I had the hook-ups like PhreeX does, then I would probably choose a similar route as he does, but sadly I don't have that kind of access or skills to attain those pharmaceuticals. I didn't want to be put on anti-depressant medications because of the bad side effects I hear about, such as lowered sex drive. I mean, I already have a really low sex drive so I don't think that it would be a good idea in that respect. I don't really know what I'm asking- mainly just if anyone really thinks that anti-depressants are worth it and if using illegal drugs with them is ok/safe, whatever..
------------------
Raving is the wave of the future.

Another snippet of useless information for "outkast". Side effects of SSRI’s, include decreased sexual interest in men and increased sexual interest in women, plus ejaculation problems, impotence, or menstrual changes.

For those of you suffering from depression and anxiety without access to a doctor (lack of insurance or whatever) I highly suggest playing with Herbs and Supplements.
The 3 I suggest are 5-htp, SAM-e, and St Johns Wort. I have suffered my entire life from horrible mood swings ranging from on top of the world, to laying in bed contemplating suicide. The smallest life problem like losing $20 would have me ready to swallow a handful of pills and die.
A combination of 5-htp, SAM-e and a more philosophical approach to life have made my hell on earth into heaven. I often feel like the happiest muther fucker alive.
Its not some kind of miracle happy pill, but it DOES help. A lot of people tell me its placebo (and it could be) but I doubt it because if I forget to take them, I can feel the old low creeping up on me.
Good luck to everyone in their pursuit of happiness: )
Love,
Pure
------------------
Intelligence is not best measured by the answers you have but by the questions that you ask