View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

spore storage

kkgb1035

Bluelighter
Sorry to everyone for posting so much latly I just like to make sure im doing things right and iv gotten alot of amazing help,asking on here.but I can see it beong difficult seeing seeing my usernamee pop up alot

So im,holding onto some spores for a friend(im in a state wher its legal)

What I did was I put each syringe in ther own ziplock bag and then put,those two in two freezer ziplock bags and just put em them in a shoe box in my closet.
Will they be okay atleast till I wont have them which will be a week tops.

Thanks

A week will probably be ok but you really need to keep them in the fridge for any longer.

The longest I kept a syringe and have it be viable was 1.5 years, and that was in a draw in my room no temp control but no massive fluxes either. I would think in cool conditions as stated above they will be good for many years.

I have kept spore syringes for many years. As long as they were prepared properly, and there was no contamination when they were prepared, you can store them, in a dark, cool place for years. I knocked up some substrate last year with a syringe of golden teacher spores that had been being stored for two years previous, without a problem. And that substrate yielded some mighty fine mushrooms. In nature, spores can survive for thousands of years and still be viable, under certain conditions, of course. When you think about it from an evolutionary point of view, they have to be resilient. And while I'm no expert, I think that by and large, they are far more resilient than many people think.

Ice crystals formed in the freezer can lyse the spores. For this reason, biological samples are suspended in glycerol before they're stored in the -80C freezers or liquid N2. Don't put your spore syringes in the freezer.