• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Splitting gabapentin capsules

Kdem

Bluelighter
400 mg (Actavis). These capsules can be opened, contain a powder but apparently they are not designed to be split.

If I were to open a capsule and remove some of the powder, can I assume I would get about half of the active ingredient ?

:) Hi Kdem...Others will certainly know more than I, but I divide my 400 mg capsules into 2 doses. To be honest, my husband does it for me because I don't have the patience he has!

Gabapentin works best for me personally at lower doses. My PM doctor doesn't grasp this.

To Dixichick yes, lower doses of Gabapentanoids are mostly more efficient for treatment at lower dosages, they have great potential but if a low dose does what it needs to do then keep it that way.

I know lyrica capsules are easy to open, but I'm not sure about gabapentin capsules, if you want to take half of that amount speak to your GP, I'm sure if you elaborate on your situation well they should understand.

You did not really think that the GP would actually prescribe this stuff ? 'it's not the indication !'
I had to buy it.