• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol spirits

tremours

Bluelighter
ii bought a bottle off a rec from the liqour store owner a month or so a go i took it home drank a few shots and stuck it in the freezer and the next day it looked like theres ice in the bottle, i left it alone for a while but a couple days ago i said fuck it and poured a drink and i realized there wasnt any ice , realy all i can compare it to is fruit pulp. has anyone had a similar experience?

Basically, Alcohol and Water have very different freezing points, the point at which they will change phase from a liquid to a solid. This is how "Ice Beer" is made, beer is brewed like normal, but then the beer is placed in a very cold place where some of the water freezes. all of the ice is skimmed out of the beer, so all of the "non water" stuff in the beer is more concentrated. same thing with you, the "pulp" is probably small bits of ice floating around

i understand what your saying but beer has a much lower alcohol vol. put a bottle of vodka it your freezer its not going to start to freeze unless your temp is abnormaly cold, this pulp i descripe is not cold to the touch like ice but it does disintegrate after along time after pouring into glass. this spirit is 50% so its not freezing

Sounds like more of a slurry rather than a pulp. How cold is your freezer?

i'm not sure, i need to figure that out before i can rule out freezing but this "pulp" when poured into a glass acts much like foam and will stay there for hours before disolving

if the spirit is 50% ABV, then there is still water in it, just a lot less than beer. Water in the booze cn still freeze out, but it wont happen as fast and in as large ammounts with the vodka. Thats probably why the slurry/pulp stuff went away relativley fast, the alcohol lowers the freezing point so very little water ends up actually changing phase, and as soon as some heat becomes avaliable it starts to go back to liquid asap

Putting spirits in the freezer can actually make them much stronger because ethanol has a much lower freezing point than water. Freezing the liquor causes the water to turn to ice, therefore the remaining liquid is a much more concentrated alcohol solution.

Putting spirits in the freezer can actually make them much stronger because ethanol has a much lower freezing point than water. Freezing the liquor causes the water to turn to ice, therefore the remaining liquid is a much more concentrated alcohol solution.

Dam son that's sum cool knowledge right there. 8o Pun intended.

Its called freeze distillation. Years ago people would make hard cider and freeze it . It's called apple jack . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applejack_(drink) The problem with freeze distillation with apples is that they produce more methanol than regular grain based distillation. Fruit based alcohols usually give bad hangovers. Good vodka usually has less hangover symptoms .