• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Speech issues?

cripkeeper

Bluelighter
A couple years back with no prior history I began experiencing some speech problems. Often times I know exactly what I want to say in my mind, but somewhere between the brain and my mouth something gets lost. I stammer or cannot pronounce words correctly. This happens when high and sober. I have used mostly cannabis and alcohol to heavy extent. Is it just me? I have never heard anyone else complain of this issue so far. Have a fucked my brain somehow? I will add that abstaining from weed for months at a time this issue dissolves. IDK what it could be.

Yeah man I get this too these days. I've only recently noticed it. You just gotta breathe and think about what you're gonna say. I often find myself not being able to express myself properly verbally. I always wonder what could be causing it cuz it's a recent issue. And I don't really do drugs often anymore. Just the regular weed and booze and a valium or 2.

I personally have speech issues from synthetic marijuana and I would imagine other drugs are capable of this.

Its's more of like the things that come out of my mouth are a lot more simple than the words that I would generally have used before my abuse, and the words that I think in my head. This has made me much better at writing than speaking.

I do believe this is something that can go away with time.

it should come back slowly if you stop using drugs, including alcohol. Personally, I get the same thing or very similar experience from weed alone- high or not. Throw alcohol into the mix and I'm either fully turned up or can't speak at all.

I've noticed that weed makes me very introverted(even more so than I already am) and constantly questioning everything I say. I lose the ability to trust myself and have to double check everything, so when it comes to speaking I feel like there is a filter that everything must go through first before I find the confidence to say it. In conversation, a lot of thoughts or ideas wind up getting lost and I find myself trying to pay attention to what is being said with nothing to say back to them because I'm trying so hard to focus.

I've smoked so much (nearly all day everyday for the last 7 years and counting) that when I am not high I feel so uncomfortable or unstimulated that I can't think of much to say. Also, I find myself questioning my thoughts almost as much when I'm high because of how weird and uncomfortable I feel.

You say when you subside from smoking weed the problem goes away... well, my guess would be it is the weed.

Weed gets a reputation as being "harmless" because it is practically impossible to die from too much weed. However, based on my first hand experience with it and what I've seen in my friends, I have no doubt that there are MAJOR side effects and that to say the side-effects from smoking weed is benign is complete ignorance imo. I once believed it was harmless, used it all day, and couldn't figure out why I was having so many problems that I didn't have before daily usage. You might not empty out your savings, sell all your possesions and start stealing from your family for your weed habit, but I've quit a job, lost friends, and spent a lot of time locked alone in my room so I could get stoned. I've seen a lot of friends do the same.

Life is precious. Even though it may seem like the side effect is minor it may have major implications on your life. Our brain is a delicate tool, start messing around with the settings and you might not be able to predict the outcome.

Wow, never thought of it that way maf. Glad to know I'm not alone in this. Thanks to both of you guys. And potato I will practice your suggestions!

Hey mate, I use to be a big stutterer as a kid but slowly taught myself to speak clearly, Weed never helped cause it made me think way to much about how I was seen by others which in essence I think is to why people stutter in the 1st place, just another crazy drug fueled theory of mine :)

totally agree with Mafioso

Thanks guys. I am sure grateful for this site. Otherwise I'd have never known I wasn't the only one.

Does it only happen when speaking to other people or does it also happen while u talk to yourself out loud alone?

Does it only happen when speaking to other people or does it also happen while u talk to yourself out loud alone?

lol how often are you talking to yourself out loud while you are alone?

sorry had to ask.. :p carry on..

Definitely a common effect that I think can occur using any drug in excess or for extended periods of time. I struggle with describing things and speech in general. Kind of get tongue tied very easily. Start to say something then forget what the point was of what I was going to say. A lot of times it's the anxiety causing it. Weed makes me a super introvert. I enjoy smoking alone and being alone for the most part these days. Makes speech seem a little less important, though that isn't a great way to look at it. I have always felt that some thoughts are just too deep to put into words. Or maybe I just lack the intelligence to do so :) I don't think daily chronic marijuana use has in any way made me smarter. More simple is a better phrase. And more openness. Having the ability to analyze every little detail about the random can make it so one is having so many thoughts they are almost impossible to sort out. Writing and reading I think helps develop better speaking skills.