• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Specific vivitrol + heroin question

Buffalodope

Greenlighter
Hi im on mobile. This is my first post. I tried to post in the other drugs sub forum but my thread wouldnt post because there was no option to choose a thread prefix. It was recommended i post here and wait for it to be moved. I have spent a bunch of time searching this website and several others (drugs-forum, opiophiles, and even the limited content on erowid) to find an answer (or maybe some validation) to my question.

I know there has been many threads posted about people asking for when others are able to get high after receiving vivitrol (in my experience, after my 7th injection i tried to get high on the 20th day and was successful. After my 8th injection i tried on around the 14th day and got high. This is all IV heroin when i say getting high.)

My question is this: i have an appointment tomorrow at 1:30 to receive my ninth injection. I used for about two weeks. My last use was friday evening and its now tuesday afternoon. I believe that if i dont use i would be safe to get my shot tomorrow with no risk. Im wondering is anyone has any experience with taking about 5 days off then using a small amount the day before the injection.

Ive seen in posts where people talk about daily use right up to the shot obviously resulting in precipitated withdrawals. Ive seen one person mention something about how they believed heroin would be fine as long as it wasnt 24 hours before the injection. Another guy said he was using small amounts up to 12 hours before the injection and had minor discomfort.

Just to add to my experiences a little bit, last shot i received i used for about four days before and stopped 3 days before the injection and had no negative effects as a result.

Im sure there are people out there who have had this experience. Im just wondering if they are on this website.

If youve taken the time to read this, thanks. If you have some experience even closely relating please share as i would like to take it all in. Ive done a fair bit of reading on the topic over the past several months.

Hi! I am on Vivitrol too - and I gotta tell you, I had abstained from heroin for two weeks, but was taking kratom, and I had the worst precipitated withdrawals of my life when I got my first shot. I didn't realize that kratom would be such a big deal - stupid me - and it was five days of agony. So maybe give it at least seven to ten days? I don't know if you have had precipitated withdrawal with the shot yet, but it's no fun. I know everybody is different but is it really worth the agony?

Well to report back, i used five bags yesterday between about 1 and 5 pm. I went in today at one, i reported the use to the nurse. I received the injection at 1:25. Right now its 15 minutes after the shot and i have no symptoms yet. I do expect them though, but hopefully not until after i get home and off this bus.

I have experienced precipitated withdrawal before. I definitely know what it is at its worst. Im hoping that since i havent been using regularly and also that it was IM and not IV (like when i injected suboxone) it wont be as bad as i have experienced in the past.

8 hours ten minutes after vivtrol injection. No precipitated withdrawal. I dont know what that means but hopefully it helps someone in the future. If anyone wants to discuss ill check back here regularly.

Last edited:
not trying to change the subject but I seriously doubt you got high on the 14th day of your EIGHTH shot

Thats fine, im not here to argue. Im just reporting my experience. I would find it hard to believe as well. But im also surprised i used yesterday and had absolutely no withdrawal symptoms from the vivitrol today.

Im not saying i had full 100% high using on the 14th day but i felt it. That is my experience. Doubt me if you would like to.

It doesn't matter what you're here for, im just trying to save anyone who happens to read that the time, money, effort, and subsequent disappointment when trying to get high only 2 weeks into the shot

Im not doubting you, im telling you you didnt
get high.

Unless you consider feeling your chest getting a little relaxed as a high.

But if you're looking for the actual heroin high, anything before around 3 1/2 weeks is just someone who wanted to believe they were high so bad they convinced themselves in their mind that they were

If you have to think about whether you're high on dope or not, you're not.

Haha alright man thanks for the reply. My post wasnt about that, wasnt telling anyone to expect that, only gave my experience. I understand your beliefs and accept them. A little annoying to be told that i dont understand what i felt, but then who are you? Doesnt actually matter much.

I couldn't get high for a long time after my shot, over 30 days. I think they were giving me a hefty dose though and I was on it for like 7 months. Why even bother with it in the first place? It didn't do shit for me. Just made me want to get high. I'd always be waiting for it to wear off so I could use and I didn't even have a habit when I got on it. It made me feel weird and gave me anxiety. They say it's supposed to block cravings for pretty much everything. I think its shit. Seems that way with most people around here. Doing vivitrol workarounds. I'm sure they didn't have cravings though. It's a miracle drug!

I got on it in a rehab where i was for six months. So recieved my first six in a facility. Despite what anyone wants to believe the vivitrol did help me with cravings. But usually only for the first week and a half and then they would start coming back stronger and stronger.

At the moment i continue to get the shot because i do believe it helps me. I do want to remain off drugs. At the same time i do have a girlfriend who wants to see proof of the shot monthly as well as a mom who helps me with a phone bill if i prove to her im still on it. If i didnt have those two im not sure i would continue on my own.

So I have been using everyday for the last 5 days, once a day of heroin. And I am scheduled to get the Vivitrol shot this week. I was clean for 6 days before this Tuesday. How long should I give myself before I get the shot? More specifically , if I was clean for 6 days and then have been using this week, how long will it take for the heroin to come out of my system?

1 week after last use, period. Does not matter how many days you were clean before that. 7 days from last use.

I have kind of a related question on the subject: if you were to get the vivitrol shot, then afterwards, as immediately as possible, use heroin, would you feel the effects? I ask because vivitrol is intramuscular and therefore must take a while to kick in right? Also will the fact that the heroin hit you first, despite being administered second, cause PWDs?
Just curious

I got my first shot 11 days ago and just shot some dope. I was able to feel it, and no it was not a placebo effect. I know what opiates feel like. Granted nothing near a full blown high, maybe 25% but it's something. Anyone else have a similar experience, and when could you get a full high afterward? I'm hoping by around day 22...

day 38, trying to decide if i should try to get high, i used 3 days ago and barely felt anything. vivitrol is awful if your not ready, does anyone know if i will be able to feel anything?

In 38 days the shot should have worn off. I'm a recovering alcoholic and my psychiatrist and therapist pushed Vivitrol, but I resisted it after hearing stories about what a painful shot in the ass it is and how a painful lump can form at the injection site. Also, I was on naltrexone tablets and it did not curtail cravings or affect my alcohol buzz so I saw no point in getting the shot. Plus the naltrexone would on occasion make me violently ill.

You're a fool. It doesn't matter how many shots of viv you've had it has minimal build up month to month. Read their website. I had the SAME experience as the person you're bashing. Everyone's body is different.. is it really that hard for you to wrap your head around? Just because it didn't work for you means absolutely Jack.

I had the SAME experience and vivitrol doesn't actually stabilize until the end of your first cycle so it's not uncommon. I was wrecked 5 days after my first shot and oded 23 days later. I honestly couldn't tell it had any affect in my first month.