• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Soreness and Bruising Three Days After Intramuscular Injection

DroneLore

Bluelighter
I'm going to see a doctor on Friday. But I could really use some piece of mind. 3 days ago I did an IM shot of 2'-oxo-pce. I actually did 2, both with the same needle. I think I pierced a vein because it bled when I removed the needle the second time.

The pain is a dull throb and it's localized in the center of the bruise. Sometimes it doesn't hurt at all. It hurts if I push on the center of the bruise.

Day 1: http://imgur.com/niYyU9l

Day 2: http://imgur.com/fLCA6UA

Day 3 (this morning): http://imgur.com/CQEAuGX
http://imgur.com/NSPxF8L

I put 2 pics from this morning because it looks a lot redder in one so I wanted people to see both.

Did you use the proper needle type for IM'ing? Or did you shoot both doses in the same spot? It looks to me that it's just a bruise and not some sort of inflamed abscess or worse. Bruising from an IM injection is a sign you did something wrong.

It should resolve on its own. Don't push on it, leave it alone and see if it gets better over the next few days. If it persists for any longer than about a week without any signs of improvement, you should see a doctor.

Can you elaborate on the size of the needle, syringe and total volume injected? Also did you happen to use one of your new micron filters to prep ?

That info withstanding, if it does not get worse than a bee sting you are most likely in the clear. If it were infected it would have most likely continued to grow and stayed a bright red color for longer then 12 hours. The pain and sensitivity would have gone up exponentially as well resulting in something more ominous then the heart shaped bruise in the last picture. If you are in doubt there is nothing wrong with getting it looked at and even claiming it was steroids if the drug part worries you.

Gnarly, dude. Looks like it's fine. If it swells up substantially(like, bulbs up not just spread of the bruising) go to ER. Otherwise just chill out on using that spot. You are good. Re: the blood loss during IM injection, yea that happened you just accidenbtally hit a vein. LOL RIGHT THAT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN!?! just make sure that when you put it into your shoulder you draw back slightly and make sure not to get any blood. If you get blood then reregister ((for IM injections only))

All the best

Did you use the proper needle type for IM'ing? Or did you shoot both doses in the same spot? It looks to me that it's just a bruise and not some sort of inflamed abscess or worse. Bruising from an IM injection is a sign you did something wrong.

It should resolve on its own. Don't push on it, leave it alone and see if it gets better over the next few days. If it persists for any longer than about a week without any signs of improvement, you should see a doctor.

I used a 26g 1 inch needle and yes I did both injections in the same place. I am not sure how much liquid I used, but it couldn't have been more than 2mL. I also rinsed out the little plastic baggie, which I regret. Maybe it didn't matter, but that seems like it would introduce yet another possible point of contamination.

Can you elaborate on the size of the needle, syringe and total volume injected? Also did you happen to use one of your new micron filters to prep ?

Unfortunately, the filters had not yet arrived at the time I did the injections. I filtered with cotton. So another thing I'm thinking is that there's a chance I may have injected some cotton fibers.

Gnarly, dude. Looks like it's fine. If it swells up substantially(like, bulbs up not just spread of the bruising) go to ER. Otherwise just chill out on using that spot. You are good. Re: the blood loss during IM injection, yea that happened you just accidenbtally hit a vein. LOL RIGHT THAT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN!?! just make sure that when you put it into your shoulder you draw back slightly and make sure not to get any blood. If you get blood then reregister ((for IM injections only))

All the best

I did register before pushing the plunger down and there was no blood in the syringe. I think the needle went all the way through the vein.

Last edited:
The dr's visit went almost exactly like I was hoping it would. "You're fine, stop sticking needles in yourself." The cute nurse even kinda laughed at me when I showed her the bruise and said I was scared it might be infected.